"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 11-17-2009, 03:46 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

ISO Chicago style Italian Beef recipe

My wife is from Chicago and loves to have Italian Beef (especially Portillos) whenever we go back.

I admit Portillos ROCKS. While I lived in Chicago, they were the one place I really liked to eat that sandwich.

Does anyone know how to make great Italian beef at home?

Old 11-17-2009, 03:53 PM   #2
Master Chef

You might check out the guys at the Italian Beef website - recipes and reviews from Chicago.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:57 PM   #3
Master Chef

I looked over those recipes, and mine is a little different, but similar. I salt and pepper a chuck roast and sprinkle it with powdered G.S. Zesty Italian dressing mix. One packet is enough for an average (2-3 lb) chuck roast. Put it in the crock pot with a can of beer...any kind...and cook on low until tender. Check seasoning and add whatever is needed...more S&P, garlic, oregano, whatever.
You can shred the meat with two forks if you like it that way, or slice it with a knife. Either way, let it simmer a little while to soak up the seasonings.

I serve it with pepperoncini on the side, but some people (my son-in-law), pour the juice from the jar directly into the pot with the beef.

Serve it on a hoagie bun. You may dip the cut side of the bun in the juice if you like, or serve extra juice on the side in a small bowl.

Personally (and this is where I deviate from the norm), I like mustard on my bun. But then, I like mustard on my BBQ, also.

Tags
None