"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 07-07-2007, 09:51 AM   #1
Senior Cook

ISO Chuck Roast Advice

Hello favorite cooking forum! It's been awhile since I've been here.

Here's my issue. I bought two large chuck roasts but hubby said he doesn't ever like them. He didn't give a reason. Just said yuck.. So, the way I'd normally cook them is to sautť them in mushrooms and onions on a medium heat. And serve with a veggie and mashed taters.

I need ideas on how to fix them differently. Perhaps their too dry with the medium heat??

Old 07-07-2007, 10:12 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Hi, Robin. Nice to see you back.

One of the ways we've cooked a chuck roast in our family is to do it in the oven sealed in foil. Here's how:

Tear off a large piece of heavy-duty foil. Place the roast in the center, spread one can of, undiluted, cream of mushroom soup over the meat and, then, sprinkle 1/2 to 1 full envelope of dry onion soup mix over the soup. (If I'm in a "I want more mushrooms" mood, I'll add a small can, drained, of mushroom stems and pieces.) Seal the foil tightly and put the whole works in a shallow baking dish or roasting pan. I usually pour about 1/4-inch of water in my baking pan and try to maintain that throughout the cooking time. Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for a couple of hours.

The meat always turns out tender, moist and flavorful. Plus, the mushroom soup and meat juices make awesome gravy, so be sure to make a big bowl of mashed potatoes to go with.

Chuck roast has been prepared like this in my family since I was a little girl and there's never been anyone who didn't like it.

Old 07-07-2007, 11:40 AM   #3
Senior Cook

Thanks Katie. I think I have everything besides the onion soup. But I'll be sure to get some and try this Monday. Thanks!
Old 07-07-2007, 12:27 PM   #4
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Wink

Chuck roast are the only kind I buy, I season then sear mine (in my dutch oven) add broth or water up to the middle of the roast. Throw some onions in and let her go in 350' oven 2-3 hr.s till fork tender . I do it this way with potatoes, carrots, or for beef n noodles (w/ mushrooms added). Yum ! (or add bbq sauce ater chopping up, for sandwiches.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:31 PM   #5
Head Chef

We sear it in a 425 degree oven for 25 minutes.
Then some chopped garlic and sliced onion are laid on top,
a beer is poured into the pan (nice Black & Tan is good), it
gets covered and back into the oven. 275 degrees for a couple
of hours.
Makes it fall apart tasty and delicious!
Old 07-07-2007, 12:43 PM   #6
Head Chef

How about Beef Bourguignon served over broad egg noodles or pappardelle.

Here are two different prep methods:

Beef Bourguignon Baby

Crock-Pot.com

Edited to add: In place of beef broth, I used to use french onion soup.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:32 PM   #7
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E
Hi, Robin. Nice to see you back.

One of the ways we've cooked a chuck roast in our family is to do it in the oven sealed in foil. Here's how:

Tear off a large piece of heavy-duty foil. Place the roast in the center, spread one can of, undiluted, cream of mushroom soup over the meat and, then, sprinkle 1/2 to 1 full envelope of dry onion soup mix over the soup. (If I'm in a "I want more mushrooms" mood, I'll add a small can, drained, of mushroom stems and pieces.) Seal the foil tightly and put the whole works in a shallow baking dish or roasting pan. I usually pour about 1/4-inch of water in my baking pan and try to maintain that throughout the cooking time. Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for a couple of hours.

The meat always turns out tender, moist and flavorful. Plus, the mushroom soup and meat juices make awesome gravy, so be sure to make a big bowl of mashed potatoes to go with.

Chuck roast has been prepared like this in my family since I was a little girl and there's never been anyone who didn't like it.
This roast sounds great! I need a new roast recipe, and this sounds like a winner. Iíll be making this tonight! A couple of questions though. You say to cook it 2 hours at 350? Also, why the water bath? Does it make a difference?

At two hours cooking time, I imagine this is a roast that you slice as opposed to shred? I used to make a beef roast in the crock pot with onions, carrots, potatoes, and fresh mushrooms all covered with two 14.5 oz cans of Beef Consume for 6-8 hours. That roast would shred, but sometimes became a little dry, so you have to watch your cooking times. Then again, you can reduce the remaining liquid for a terrific gravy so you donít really notice the meat being a little dry. I never seared my roast before putting it in the crock-pot, so perhaps that would make a difference. Iíll have to try that recipe again one day.

I tried using just beef broth once since Consume can be hard to find in some stores, but the beef broth made a tough roast. Not sure what the secret is to the Consume....perhaps the gelatin content?
Old 07-09-2007, 05:37 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Yes, it is a roast that is sliced rather than shredded. Although, you can cook it longer if you wish to have it shred. As for the water bath, I started doing that many years ago when my foil somehow was breached and the juices ran into the pan. I discovered that just a little bit of water around the packet helped the whole thing to cook better. It could just be my imagination, though.

It is a delicious roast and the smell will drive you crazy as it cooks.

Also, originally, I used a whole envelope of onion soup mix, but it's quite salty so I now use less.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:57 PM   #9
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Thanks! Ok, Iím going to use the CoM soup, Ĺ a pack of the onion soup mix and will also add the mushroom as well. Iíll also try the water bath. To be honest, nearly all the large cuts of meats and ribs I do are done to the point of shredding (I use my smoker a lot!), so Iím really looking forward to a roast I can slice - my carving knife hasn't come out of the block in a long time and will welcome the use! I canít wait to dig in to this one!
Old 07-09-2007, 06:07 PM   #10
Master Chef

If you are looking for a "roast you can slice" you might think of buying a cut that is suitable for dry roasting, like a rib roast or a sirloin roast, rather than one most suitable for braising or moist cooking.

Tags
None