ISO Estimated time for beef in crock pot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

legend_018

Head Chef
I have a beef roast and it's not even 2 lbs. Any suggestions on estimated time in an old crock pot? I have noticed in the past if I cook on LOW all day long - it's too long. I also have potatoes and carrots that I will be putting in as well.

thanks,

I'm not a slow cooker user so I can't help you but we have a lot of experts here who will know. Hang on for a little longer.

How about cutting it into stew meat and adding it to the pot with some broth, canned tomatoes, ine or whatever liquid you like amd adding your vegetables, also cut up. Cook on low for about 5-6 hours.

I think six hours should do it, I usually do a 3-4 lb. one all day. I do though like my roast really done, almost falling apart. I do put a piece of foil on top my roast - so it doesnt't dry out, under the cover.

I often cook a 2-3 pound chuck roast in the crock pot with potatoes and carrots. I add 1 or 2 cans of french onion soup and then add water to cover everything. I cook it all day, sometimes as long as 8 hours and it comes out great. You need to be sure you have the liquid in the pot.

Are you always suppose to cover everything with liquid in a crock pot?
my crock pot recipe says just throw the roast, potatoes, carrots and an mushroom/onion lipton soup packet inside - than cook on low for 6-8 hours.

Yesterday, I put everything in there at around noon time and took it out at around 6pm. The carrots and potatoes were not done and I had to nuke them. The roast was. I did half the potatoes, carrots and half the roast in liquid. The roast was good. Cooked any longer and it would of been dry.

I do Brisket in the oven (have done it stovetop too) 4-6 hours is about good for our liking, I then take it out, let it cool put it in a bag and then in the fridge overnight, slice it up next day on bread with english mustard, and serve these with a bowl of the stewed veg and broth.

8 hours on low. Everything takes 8 hours on low. That is what crock pots were originally designed to do; Cook food in 8 hours on low, while you are at work.

legend_018 said:
I have a beef roast and it's not even 2 lbs. Any suggestions on estimated time in an old crock pot? I have noticed in the past if I cook on LOW all day long - it's too long. I also have potatoes and carrots that I will be putting in as well.

thanks,

Two pounds is small, so it's hard to guestimate. Veggies take longer than the meat to cook, so cut them into small chunks or thin slices. Some pots say put the veggies on the bottom, mine says on top. My Rival programmable gets VERY hot pretty fast, so I cook on low & check (if at home) after about 4 hours. The time also depends on your model and age of the pot, IMO. I've heard the older models don't get as hot, as fast, & cooking time is longer.

You could use a food thermometer to test for doneness to make sure they have reached a safe internal temp:

Poultry - 170 deg for chicken breast - 180 deg for chicken thigh

Ground Meat- 160 deg

Roasts -145 degrees (medium rare) -160 degrees (medium) -170 degrees (well done)

Casseroles -165 degrees

Stuffing - 165 degrees

Soups - 165 degrees

I fill the pot 2/3 of the way. If using dry lipton/onion soup, mix it with about 1 cup of liquid (water) and pour over the top. Sometimes I use more liquid or sauce - but not too much or everything gets soggy, imo.

Here are some more tips:

Crockpot Safety

How to Use a Crockpot - Slow Cooker Tips and Crockpot Tips Cooking Lessons 101 - Crock-pot Hints Tips

I've done a LOT of chuck roasts in the crock pot, and find that 3 hours on low, and then 3 and a half hours on high turns out PERFECT.

If you're not using chuck, YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom