"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 06-09-2015, 08:55 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
...The chunk is 0.6 kg and was under $17. So it isn't an expensive cut, just one that doesn't take kindly to being overcooked...
O.6kg = 1.32Lb. At $17 for the piece, that's $28/Kg or $12.80 per pound. I consider that expensive for a piece of chuck.

Old 06-09-2015, 09:59 PM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
O.6kg = 1.32Lb. At $17 for the piece, that's $28/Kg or $12.80 per pound. I consider that expensive for a piece of chuck.
=1. I don't need to add anything to that.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 10:03 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
On Tuesday 09/06/2015 at 6:11 pm, Capital Writing Services wrote:
I bought a "chunk" (.06 kg) of this the local butcher. He cleaned it for me so the gristle/connective tissue is removed. He also showed me on the picture of the cuts of a side of beef where it is. Because it comes from the top part of the front leg, it can be tough. It is nicely marbled. The three butchers I called to learn more about this cut all concurred that it needs to be cooked on this side of medium-rare. Once it is moving to medium or well-done, it will be as tough as shoe leather (or, as one butcher said, you better have really strong teeth).

I found out why I've never gotten it when I've gotten a side or whole steer--it is usually tossed in to be ground. I also didn't know that this cut existed until this winter when it came up here.

I had to buy more than eight ounces. I am going do a test and cook a piece to medium rare (for the photoshoot), cook two smaller pieces to medium and well done. This was local, grass-fed beef. The chunk is 0.6 kg and was under $17. So it isn't an expensive cut, just one that doesn't take kindly to being overcooked.

Two butchers said they sear it on each side for 2 minutes and then pop it a 275 oven for 30 minutes (that is using the whole piece). I am going to do both-cook it in a screaming hot grill pan and sear it 2 minutes each side and finish in a 275F oven. might want to try both methods--the one in the recipe and the one the two out of three butchers use. I'ld still do the "how tough does it get" test with what isn't used for the photo.

Now I know what a flat iron steak is and why it is called that (once the gristle is removed, the two pieces are flat). The gristle in the piece I bought was about 1/8-3/16 " thick.

Tomorrow will be the test. I'll see how it turns out.

Thanks everyone for your input. I have a better sense of the cut of meat I will be cooking and what to expect.

A classic method for cooking the flat iron steak is to cut the meat from either side of the gristle strip, then cut into inch cubes and place on kabobs over an open fire, or in a hot-fat fondue after marinating.

Seeeeeya; Chief longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 01:42 PM   #14
Sous Chef

common names are such fun. I pulled down everything with "FLAT"
there's a bunch of stuff....

the last on the list seem to be the most pertinent - and the stuff I pictured has "Beef Shoulder Top Blade Steak" in the cooking directions.
it looks like a complete muscle; it is not cut across the grain from 'something'

Beef Round Flat Steak BEEF BOTTOM ROUND STEAK BONELESS
1st Cut Brisket BEEF BRISKET FLAT CUT BONELESS IMPS 120A
Brisket First Cut BEEF BRISKET FLAT CUT BONELESS IMPS 120A
Brisket Roast BEEF BRISKET FLAT CUT BONELESS IMPS 120A
Brisket Short Rib BEEF BRISKET FLAT CUT BONELESS IMPS 120A
Brisket Cap Off BEEF BRISKET FLAT CUT BONELESS IMPS 120A
Flat End BEEF BRISKET FLAT CUT BONELESS IMPS 120A
Mini Brisket BEEF BRISKET FLAT CUT BONELESS IMPS 120A
Navel Brisket BEEF BRISKET FLAT CUT BONELESS IMPS 120A
Nose Off BEEF BRISKET FLAT CUT BONELESS IMPS 120A
Single Cut BEEF BRISKET FLAT CUT BONELESS IMPS 120A
Thin Brisket BEEF BRISKET FLAT CUT BONELESS IMPS 120A