ISO Flank steak Recipe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chile Chef

Sous Chef
I have a nice flank steak and I'm going to use the foreman, maybe My real grill, not sure which it's all depends ont he weather here in Mi.

I was thinking about using my Docter Pepper BBQ sauce as a marinade. And maybe a very very basic dry rub before I add the marinade, I will leave the steak in the fridge for 15 hours.

A flank steak will never get "tender" as it's just not that cut of meat. The tenderness comes from cutting thin slices across the grain.

Using a dry rub for 15 hours certainly won't hurt, but, it will not "make it tender."

I like the meat flavor of my flank steak so I try to preserve that. I like a simple marinade of olive oil, lime juice, garlic, soy sauce and that's about it. I don't marinate for very long either - one to two hours should do it. Towards the end I will splash in some balsamic. Depending on thickness I'll cook somewhere between 4 minutes and 6 minutes on each side over medium-high heat, let rest for a good 10 - 15 minutes, slice thin.

CC, just don't over cook it the best flank steak is med rare and sliced thinly against the grain...Do try it this way and you will love it.WE had one several weeks ago and already the kids are asking for more.What type of bbq sauce will you be using? I made just a dry rub for min..Cattlemens and it turned out quite well. best of luck to you

GB, Can I do the dry rub and put it in the fridge for 15 hours? So it can get tender?
Like Kitchenelf said, tenderness will come from not cooking it past med rare and slicing it thin against the grain. The rub or marinade will not little to nothing for tenderness. They are just there for flavor.

If you go with a dry rub then 15 hours is not out of the question. For dry rubs I usually go 24 hours if I have the time.

And by thin I mean pieces that are less than 1/4" thick. The pieces can't even hold their shape as they are so thin. Oh my...flank steak done right is a beautiful thing!!!! And yes, don't cook past medium-rare - we like ours med-rare on the outer edges and rare in the middle.

I used to slice this at a carving station when I worked in a hotel restaurant. They would marinate it for several days in a blend of italian and catalina dressings, balsamic vinegar. Then they would put it on the grill, to med rare. Sliced across the grain. I don't like my meat on the rare side, and had customers that didn't like rare, either, so would tuck some slices down in the juices in the warmer (hotel pan over can o' flames, covered). By my lunch, I had a fabulous piece, which I would wrap around a chunk of nice bleu cheese...

My wife and I have made these in recent months:

Hong Kong Flank Steak

For the marinade:
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup dry sherry
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
1 tablespoon finely minced garlic
1 tablespoon Asian sesame oil
1 tablespoon peanut oil
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
2 teaspoons Asian chili oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

1 flank steak (about 2 pounds)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, for garnish

1. Combine the marinade ingredients in shallow bowl. Add the flank steak; coat well. Marinate,
covered, for 8 hours or overnight in the refrigerator, turning once or twice. Remove from the refrigerator
30 minutes before grilling. (Be sure to scrape any ginger or garlic bits off the steak.)

2. Cook over high heat on a well-oiled grill, 3 inches from the heat source, for 4 minutes per side
for medium-rare meat. Remove to a cutting board and let rest for 10 minutes before slicing.

3. Slice the steak thinly on the diagonal and arrange on a platter. Sprinkle with the chopped parsley and serve.

GINGER FLANK STEAK WITH SAKE-GLAZED VEGETABLES

½ cup soy sauce
½ cup sake
¼ cup (packed) dark brown sugar
3 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
4 garlic cloves, crushed
1 2-pound flank steak
1 pound asparagus, trimmed, cut into 1½-inch lengths
3 tablespoons peanut oil
2 red bell peppers, cut into 1-inch-wide strips
1½ pounds crimini mushrooms, halved, each half cut crosswise into ¼-inch-thick slices
4 green onions, cut into 1-inch lengths
2 teaspoons cornstarch

Combine first 6 ingredients in 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish. Add meat. Cover and refrigerate
at least 2 hours and up to 1 day. Let stand at room temperature 1 hour before continuing.

Cook asparagus in large pot of boiling salted water until crisp-tender, about 4 minutes. Drain.
Rinse under cold water to cool. Drain again.

Heat 2 tablespoons peanut oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add red bell pepper
strips and sauté 3 minutes. Add crimini mushrooms and sauté until mushrooms are soft, about 5
minutes. Add green onions and asparagus and sauté until vegetables are tender, about 2 minutes
longer. Transfer vegetables to serving platter. Tent with foil to keep warm.

Heat remaining 1 tablespoon peanut oil in same skillet over high heat. Remove steak from
marinade; reserve marinade. Add steak to skillet and cook to desired doneness, about 4 minutes
per side for medium-rare. Transfer to cutting board. Tent with foil and let stand 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, place reserved marinade in small saucepan. Whisk in cornstarch. Whisk over high
heat until sauce thickens and boils, about 3 minutes. Remove sauce from heat. Season sauce to
taste with salt and pepper.

Cut steak across grain on diagonal into ½-inch-thick slices. Arrange steak slices atop vegetables
on platter. Spoon some of sauce over meat and vegetables. Serve, passing remaining sauce
separately.

i only thing i don't like about flank steak is when you run into the bloody veins. YUCKY!! if i get one of those i stop eating. other wise i like flank but lately i use it for stir fry sliced thin across grain so i can cut the yucky out.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom