ISO good eye of round recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ncage1974

Senior Cook
Hi everyone i accidently bought some "eye of round" steaks. I was going to fix a stir fry recipe that called for "blade steaks" i didn't see anything where i went called blade steaks but i seen two cuts that looked exactly like it: Eye of round steak and chuck tender steak. Well the eye of round was on sale so thats what i got. I ended up getting it home and found out it was way to tough for a fast cooking method like stir fry. Do you guys have any some ideas of what i could do with it to use it up? I searched on google and i found some recipes that they just grilled it like a steak. I think its way way to tough for that. I hope there is a half way healthy recipe for them. Not like ultra healthy but just not anything smothered in butter or deep fat fried.

Ncage.

all sound good....

Ok all sound really good and i have not decided which one i would go with.
1) Beef Stew - I could figure this one out
2) Barbecue - Could you give more details on how exactly to cook it?
3) braised in red wine - Also could you give more details on how exactly you would cook it.

thanks,
ncage

Sorry ncage, but any cut towards the hoof end, south of the sirloin, is definitely not meant for steaks.

We grind our own hamburger meat, and your cut would be fine for it. Although for that we usually prefer the chuck.

Or it is a great time for a chili. Make a chili with, oh, half inch cubes of beef, nothing better. Prefer that to ground beef in chili.

Or, take the round, cut it thin, and marinate it. A teriyaki sauce would work just fine. Can then cook it in the oven, in a pan on the stove, or on the grill (but right now the grill option means standing outside in a parka shivering).

Teriyaki beef, in my humble opinon, on a roll makes a great sandwich.

Could cube or slice it. marinate it, and use it for fajitas.

Or toss them in the freezer until they get hard. Then shave thin slices (this is betteer done with a slab of meat than a steak, but can be done with them). Put the thin shavings on a plate and add a marinade with acid. The simplest thing to use is bottled Italian dressing. Let it sit for a bit and you have a tasty carpaccio. Just eat and enjoy.

Just a few ideas. It is cold here and am typing fast to keep warm.

It is not working.

Just a few ideas. Take care.

I think AuntDot has the comprehensive list. Eye of round, either as a roast or "steaks" is just worthless, to me. But, you might be able to pound those steaks with a meat mallet (mine has a grid on it for better "macerating") and make country fried steak. Pound thin, flour, brown, add some onions, bouillion, water, and braise by simmering.

fill a sauce pot only a little bit maybe 1/4 of the way with your choice of liquid (the wine) and I would let it reduce a little bit. Then put the steaks in and cover the pot. Leave it for a little bit and let it tender up and cook

If your eye of round is thick enough, try tenderizing it then cut it into small cubes, mix with diced potato,onion,salt and pepper and make pasties out of it.I've done it before.In small pieces that have had meat tenderizer sprinkled on it, it works fine.

kadesma

Well this is what i tried in the stir fry. First i tenderized it with a mallet. Then i cut it really thin. I tenderized it again the strips. Was it tender...well it was tender enough but not really "that" tender. This is what i tried last week. I have more i bought though so i will have to try some of these recipes. Again thanks everyone for the replies.

Ncage

I've heard of an eye of round recipe where you coat the roast with olive oil and whatever spices you want, put it in the oven at a very high temp for about 15-20 minutes, leave the oven door shut and turn off the oven , leave it sit for a couple hours without opening the oven and walaa it's done. Anyone ever try something like that?

ncage1974 said:
On the decision on which one to make tonight :)

Well i went here today to access this thread so i could decide which of the delicious ideas i would make unfortunatly as you all know they were down for quite awhile :(. So i ended up just making some chilli which is actually in the oven as we speak. I am still glad i asked though because it gives me some ideas what i can do with tough cuts of meat in the future.

Back
Top Bottom