ISO Good Meatball Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cheryl, I can't tell you how many times I said I was going to throw my food processor out, as I never use it. I'll have to dig it out of a top cabinet with a ladder and stuff wedged in to get to it for the dang meatballs. It's a matter of principal now. :LOL:

Seriously. :LOL:

I'm giving the Swedish meatballs a try this afternoon, using the recipe Kay posted from allrecipes. I saw that one earlier too, and thought it sounded good....but so do all the rest of the others I browsed through. :LOL: We'll see how it goes. They sure do smell good already and I haven't even cooked them yet. :yum:

Swedish Meatballs (Svenska Kottbullar) Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Oh goodie!! If I left right now and drove like a bat outa hell I could be there in about three hours just in time for dinner!
Seriously, we need a complete report Cheryl...good luck.

Thanks Kay, you would've been here sooner than 3 hours! LOL

I will make this again! :yum: Not the greatest pic, but boy were they good. :yum:

img_1377310_0_3f4ef617896b4197ebea961beb7ea813.jpg

Last edited:
All this talk about Swedish Meatballs has me hankering for some. Unfortunately I don't have the main ingredient. The ground meat. And maybe the noodles. I think I have just enough noodles for one serving. So I hope you saved me some. I will be right over. :angel:

Plenty of leftovers here for ya, Addie! :)

I want to give Jessica, the OP, a huge thank you for starting this thread! There are so many wonderful sounding recipes and ideas here. I've copied and pasted like a crazy person, and have gotten so many good ideas. Thank you, Jessica! :flowers:

Last edited:
OHHHHH....that picture looks good enough to eat Cheryl!! Yummm...

Well, maybe two hours after I got gas and had the car washed. ;)

:LOL: Thank you K!
These were so good....I would have never thought that seasonings such as allspice and nutmeg would be so good in a gr beef/pork meatball. I hope you try this recipe - you'll love it. I vacuum froze the extras so that I can enjoy them another time. :yum:

Thank you for the link, CWS. It was very interesting to read about true authentic Swedish meatballs - I know the ones I tried weren't, but they were sure good. :LOL::yum:

I enjoyed that link too Cheryl.

However, I for one appreciate you are the only one so far to have actually made the little darlin's and made a live report. I don't know your heritage, but tell your sweet grandkids this is their grandma's recipe, because now it is. :D;)

:LOL: Thank you K!
These were so good....I would have never thought that seasonings such as allspice and nutmeg would be so good in a gr beef/pork meatball. I hope you try this recipe - you'll love it. I vacuum froze the extras so that I can enjoy them another time. :yum:

I made them just once years ago for only me. I have never forgotten how wonderful they were. I could almost taste them in that picture. They are definitely on the menu when I go shopping next week. I already have most of the ingredients. All I need is the meat. I am going to introduce The Pirate to them. I know he will love them. :angel:

The smell of them cooking always takes me back to my grandma's kitchen. She always had the roaster oven full of meatballs when the clan would gather in the fall for duck hunting seaon...meatballs, fresh homemade bread, and the smell of the peat bogs burning as we approached town are all smells that take me to my grandma's house still today.

Back to the meatballs. One of my Swedish cookbooks has NINE variations for Swedish meatballs. Some people put a hint of ground cardamon in, others use allspice, ginger, nutmeg, some just use allspice, some swear by nutmeg. Some use equal parts ground pork and beef, others use more beef than pork. Some toss the meatballs in seasoned flour before browning, others not. Some brown the onions first, others don't. My grandma used what she had on hand--cream and day-old homemade white bread. Sometimes she had pork, which she ground using the trusty hand meat grinder attached to her kitchen table, other times she used beef and ground venison. She lived in a remote, rural community in Northern MN. Great cooks there, but not a lot of variety at the grocery store back then.

My grandmother's family was from Northern Sweden, my grandfather's family was from Gothenburg, which is in the south. So my grandmother's meatballs probably were a blend of the two family's, or, maybe they were her MIL's.

What my grandma called lingonberry sauce was probably made with wild red currants or high-bush cranberry or high-bush cranberry and wild red currants and was ALWAYS stirred into the gravy. Sometimes she would add grated gjetost, which boasts the gravy up a notch (and that is probably how I use most of my annual allotment of gjetost--grated in sour cream beef gravy with lingonberry sauce--excellent on roast beef or venison--not just Swedish meatballs [Grandma's meatballs--we dropped the Swedish--seemed redundant since Grandma only made one kind of meatball and was 100% Swedish]).

Lingonberries are not indigenous to MN, although there is no reason why the bushes could not grow there (I'm going to have to find some lingonberry bushes to plant at the farm...have high-bush cranberry...should be able to grow lingonberries). High-bush cranberry and red currants, however, are. She probably was told by her mother that the red currants were like lignonberries and that's why she added the red currant jelly or sauce to the gravy. I remember picking both with her.

Bottomline, my grandma's Swedish Meatball recipe is adapted so her mother could make them in MN after they immigrated, and so my grandma could make them for her family, and so on, and so on.

Besides the milk/cream, the sauce is what makes them different. And, truthfully, I could eat that gravy on plain bread and call it a meal. And it is to die for on poutine...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom