"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 07-23-2014, 08:43 PM   #51
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Sort of a meat football.
Great description Andy. It could be decorated with perfectly placed noodles.

I like SS...sort of like a mini meat loaf or a very large meatball in yummy gravy.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:17 PM   #52
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

ISO Good Meatball Recipe

Thanks so much, GG and Kayelle! These sound a lot like the church ladies would make. I've been pulling out the old Methodist cookbooks.

Kayelle, of course you'd be welcome to eat Swedish meatballs here! Hopefully I can get them right.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:58 PM   #53
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
I totally forgot an ingredient I want to try in Italian meatballs, fresh fennel! Anyone ever use it in meatballs?
Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
Yes I posted this recipe on this thread (back on page 4)

Pork, fennel & chilli meatballs | BBC Good Food

(I would finely chop the onion and fennel, i.e. not just chopped) - I think celery would be a nice addition to a tomato sauce. Celery and fennel I think would go well together
IMHO, this is not an Italian meatball. To me, it's more like a Spanish Tapas meatball. The Med is a large area, not just Italy.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:11 AM   #54
Head Chef

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
IMHO, this is not an Italian meatball. To me, it's more like a Spanish Tapas meatball. The Med is a large area, not just Italy.
Oh OK...if you say so then. Italian sausages notoriously feature ground pork and fennel seeds.
http://www.food.com/recipe/authentic...eatballs-92095
Old 07-24-2014, 08:46 AM   #55
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
Oh OK...if you say so then. Italian sausages notoriously feature ground pork and fennel seeds.
Authentic Italian Meatballs Recipe - Food.com
And what the vast majority of North Americans consider Italian meatballs are served with sauce, like the one you linked to directly above. The recipe you posted previously was recommended to be served as is (no sauce) on cocktail sticks, more like what you'd find in a tapas bar. While true Italian meatballs or polpette aren't served with sauce or just have sauce on the side, that's just not the norm in North America.

Granted, this is a global site with members from all over the world but the majority of the members are from North America. And, even in Italy, unless you go to a true local restaurant or a home, you'll get Americanized versions of Italian food, like spaghetti and meatballs with sauce.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:54 AM   #56
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Thanks so much, GG and Kayelle! These sound a lot like the church ladies would make. I've been pulling out the old Methodist cookbooks.

Kayelle, of course you'd be welcome to eat Swedish meatballs here! Hopefully I can get them right.
I've packed my grandma's cookbooks and recipe cards to take to the farm this weekend. And, those Lutheran Church cookbooks. I also emailed a couple of my girlfriends from high school to ask if their grandma's ever made church supper meatballs. I do know that the "secret" to the texture is day-old homemade bread soaked in cream. Breadcrumbs soaked in milk just don't cut it. No soy sauce (I don't think my grandma even had that in the house). 1/2 pork, 1/2 beef. I usually do mine from memory, so would have to make a batch to capture the recipe. It is too darned hot to be making meatballs. And, my grandma always served them on mashed potatoes. I can still see that white roaster oven on the counter filled with meatballs...although not a large extended family, there were 7 growing boys!
Old 07-24-2014, 09:44 AM   #57
Master Chef

2 more meatball recipes that are very good, meaty, and yummy:

Chief's favorite meatballs:
1 lb. ground round, or chuck (beef cuts)
1 lb. Italian Sausage, hot or mild, your choice (actually, I use cudaghi sausage)
1 extra large egg
1/4 cup whole milk
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1 onion, finely diced
1 tsp, granulated garlic powder, or 4 cloves minced garlic
1 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1 1/2 tsp. dried basil
1 tbs. black pepper

Combine all ingredients, make into 1 inch meatballs that are placed in rows on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Place in 400'F oven for 25 minutes, or until browned.

DW's Favorite meatballs:

1 1/2 lbs. ground chicken
1 stalk of celery, minced
1 onion, finely minced
1 tsp. granulated garlic powder
1 large egg
1/4 cup milk
1/4 tsp. Chinese 5-spice powder
3 tbs, soy sauce
1/4 cup panko bread crumbs

Combine everything but the bread crumbs. Shape into meatballs, and roll in the bread crumbs. Place on parchment paper line cookie sheet and bake at 375'F until the bread crumbs are browned and crispy. Serve with pineapple sweet and sour sauce.

Pineapple Sweet & Sour Sauce:

1 can crushed pineapple, with juice
1/2 onion, finely diced
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
2 dashes Chines 5-spice powder
2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
2 tbs. soy sauce
vinegar to taste
3 tbs. corn starch
1/2 cup water

Combine all ingredients except the vinegar, corn starch and water into a pot. Bring to a boil. Taste it and adjust until you get a balanced, sweet and yummy flavor. Add a splash or two of the vinegar, stir and taste. It should have a good balance between sweet and sour. Add more vinegar, or brown sugar to your liking, a little at a time. Stir and taste it again. When you have the flavor you want, stir together, in a bowl, the corn starch and water. Add it to the boiling sauce to thicken. Serve with stir fries, or chicken meatballs.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 02:06 PM   #58
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
My point is that fennel is typically found in Italian sausage but not in meatballs. And the Chief is a cookbook author known for coming up with creative recipes.

Congratulations on being half Italian How is that relevant?
Where a post appears in not by choice of the poster. It all depends on who posted a response first.

And fennel has never been a flavor of choice for me. Not one of my favorites.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:11 PM   #59
Head Chef

Wink

I guess some people dislike fennel since it can appear to have an aniseedy flavour. I prefer the fennel bulb (to eat) but fennel seeds work well with pork I find ... as does a certain herb!
Old 07-24-2014, 02:29 PM   #60
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
My point is that fennel is typically found in Italian sausage but not in meatballs. And the Chief is a cookbook author known for coming up with creative recipes.

Congratulations on being half Italian How is that relevant?
He is also a Sage!

Tags
meat, other, recipe

ISO Good Meatball Recipe [FONT="Arial"]Hey Everybody, I've been looking for a good meatball recipe, does anyone have one that they wouldn't mind sharing? I've only made meatballs once from a recipe I found online, but we didn't quiet like them and they were extremely expensive to make. Open to any new recipes... Thanks, in advance! [/FONT] 3 stars 1 reviews