ISO Good Meatball Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
oh heck, lets just throw in some other stuff I can't stand like some chopped brussel sprouts, and tarragon, and rosemary and maybe some oregano. No wait, we can't use oregano because we've all been told recently you can only use that for pizza. I'm cracking myself up! :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

{whisper} I use oregano and :ohmy: dried mint in Greek meatballs. :blink:

Yes I posted this recipe on this thread (back on page 4)

Pork, fennel & chilli meatballs | BBC Good Food

(I would finely chop the onion and fennel, i.e. not just chopped) - I think celery would be a nice addition to a tomato sauce. Celery and fennel I think would go well together

That recipe just doesn't strike me as Italian IMHO. The Med is a big area and encompasses a whole lot of different cuisines, not just Italian. This recipe reminds me more of a Spanish tapas dish than Italian.

Last edited by a moderator:
I for one would love a good Swedish meatball recipe like the church ladies used to make.

Cooks Illustrated has a recipe for Swedish meatballs that I just love. I reduced the oil by a LOT (can't give details - it was last winter) and served it over egg noodles. Per their technique, it's a little involved, but I think the ingredients are more important than the technique. Here it is:

Cooks Illustrated Swedish Meatballs Recipe - Food.com

Thanks GG, I think we were posting at the same time.

Thanks so much, GG and Kayelle! These sound a lot like the church ladies would make. I've been pulling out the old Methodist cookbooks.

Kayelle, of course you'd be welcome to eat Swedish meatballs here! Hopefully I can get them right.

Last edited:
I totally forgot an ingredient I want to try in Italian meatballs, fresh fennel! Anyone ever use it in meatballs?

Yes I posted this recipe on this thread (back on page 4)

Pork, fennel & chilli meatballs | BBC Good Food

(I would finely chop the onion and fennel, i.e. not just chopped) - I think celery would be a nice addition to a tomato sauce. Celery and fennel I think would go well together

IMHO, this is not an Italian meatball. To me, it's more like a Spanish Tapas meatball. The Med is a large area, not just Italy.

Oh OK...if you say so then. Italian sausages notoriously feature ground pork and fennel seeds.
Authentic Italian Meatballs Recipe - Food.com

And what the vast majority of North Americans consider Italian meatballs are served with sauce, like the one you linked to directly above. The recipe you posted previously was recommended to be served as is (no sauce) on cocktail sticks, more like what you'd find in a tapas bar. While true Italian meatballs or polpette aren't served with sauce or just have sauce on the side, that's just not the norm in North America.

Granted, this is a global site with members from all over the world but the majority of the members are from North America. And, even in Italy, unless you go to a true local restaurant or a home, you'll get Americanized versions of Italian food, like spaghetti and meatballs with sauce.

Last edited:
Thanks so much, GG and Kayelle! These sound a lot like the church ladies would make. I've been pulling out the old Methodist cookbooks.

Kayelle, of course you'd be welcome to eat Swedish meatballs here! Hopefully I can get them right.
I've packed my grandma's cookbooks and recipe cards to take to the farm this weekend. And, those Lutheran Church cookbooks. I also emailed a couple of my girlfriends from high school to ask if their grandma's ever made church supper meatballs. I do know that the "secret" to the texture is day-old homemade bread soaked in cream. Breadcrumbs soaked in milk just don't cut it. No soy sauce (I don't think my grandma even had that in the house). 1/2 pork, 1/2 beef. I usually do mine from memory, so would have to make a batch to capture the recipe. It is too darned hot to be making meatballs. And, my grandma always served them on mashed potatoes. I can still see that white roaster oven on the counter filled with meatballs...although not a large extended family, there were 7 growing boys!

2 more meatball recipes that are very good, meaty, and yummy:

Chief's favorite meatballs:
1 lb. ground round, or chuck (beef cuts)
1 lb. Italian Sausage, hot or mild, your choice (actually, I use cudaghi sausage)
1 extra large egg
1/4 cup whole milk
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1 onion, finely diced
1 tsp, granulated garlic powder, or 4 cloves minced garlic
1 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1 1/2 tsp. dried basil
1 tbs. black pepper

Combine all ingredients, make into 1 inch meatballs that are placed in rows on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Place in 400'F oven for 25 minutes, or until browned.

DW's Favorite meatballs:

1 1/2 lbs. ground chicken
1 stalk of celery, minced
1 onion, finely minced
1 tsp. granulated garlic powder
1 large egg
1/4 cup milk
1/4 tsp. Chinese 5-spice powder
3 tbs, soy sauce
1/4 cup panko bread crumbs

Combine everything but the bread crumbs. Shape into meatballs, and roll in the bread crumbs. Place on parchment paper line cookie sheet and bake at 375'F until the bread crumbs are browned and crispy. Serve with pineapple sweet and sour sauce.

Pineapple Sweet & Sour Sauce:

1 can crushed pineapple, with juice
1/2 onion, finely diced
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
2 dashes Chines 5-spice powder
2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
2 tbs. soy sauce
vinegar to taste
3 tbs. corn starch
1/2 cup water

Combine all ingredients except the vinegar, corn starch and water into a pot. Bring to a boil. Taste it and adjust until you get a balanced, sweet and yummy flavor. Add a splash or two of the vinegar, stir and taste. It should have a good balance between sweet and sour. Add more vinegar, or brown sugar to your liking, a little at a time. Stir and taste it again. When you have the flavor you want, stir together, in a bowl, the corn starch and water. Add it to the boiling sauce to thicken. Serve with stir fries, or chicken meatballs.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
My point is that fennel is typically found in Italian sausage but not in meatballs. And the Chief is a cookbook author known for coming up with creative recipes.

Congratulations on being half Italian :) How is that relevant?

Where a post appears in not by choice of the poster. It all depends on who posted a response first.

And fennel has never been a flavor of choice for me. Not one of my favorites. :angel:

I guess some people dislike fennel since it can appear to have an aniseedy flavour. I prefer the fennel bulb (to eat) but fennel seeds work well with pork I find ... as does a certain herb! :LOL:

My point is that fennel is typically found in Italian sausage but not in meatballs. And the Chief is a cookbook author known for coming up with creative recipes.

Congratulations on being half Italian :) How is that relevant?

He is also a Sage!:angel:

Back
Top Bottom