"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 07-21-2014, 12:18 PM   #1
Senior Cook

ISO Good Meatball Recipe

Hey Everybody, I've been looking for a good meatball recipe, does anyone have one that they wouldn't mind sharing? I've only made meatballs once from a recipe I found online, but we didn't quiet like them and they were extremely expensive to make. Open to any new recipes...

Thanks, in advance!

Old 07-21-2014, 12:22 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Here you go, Jessica.

Meatballs (Polpetti)

3 Tb Olive Oil
1 Small Onion, minced
3 Garlic, minced
1 Lb Ground Beef
1 Lb Ground Veal
½ Lb Ground Pork
1¼ C Bread Crumbs
¾ C Pecorino Romano, grated
2 Tb Italian Parsley, chopped
TT S&P
3 Eggs

Place 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Sauté the onion and garlic for 3 minutes or until the onion is translucent. Set aside to cool.

In a large bowl, thoroughly combine all the ingredients including the cooled onion mixture.

Shape the mixture into balls approximately the size of a large egg. You should end up with 24 meatballs.

Brown the meatballs in the remaining olive oil. Add to Sunday Ragu to complete cooking. Deglaze the pan with some of the sauce and return it to the pot.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:26 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Thanks Andy!
Old 07-21-2014, 12:33 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica_Morris View Post
Thanks Andy!

You're welcome. I think you'll like it. I get a lot of positive feedback from this recipe.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:35 PM   #5
Master Chef

Jessica that recipe of Andy's looks good but if your concerned about economy you can replace the very expensive veal with more ground beef.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 12:39 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Andy M's recipe is excellent. We substitute ground turkey for the beef, veal, and pork because my wife will not touch any beef. All of the rest of the ingredients are about the same and the eggs, plus bread crumbs, hold the mixture together. Our grandkids are nuts for these meatballs which we make, of course, with spaghetti.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:41 PM   #7
Executive Chef

After seeing these meatballs in a Bobby Flay "Throw Down", I had to try them. I've been using the recipe ever since. I do sub parm for the romano.

Grandma Maronis Meatballs 100 Year Old Recipe Recipe : Food Network
Old 07-21-2014, 04:49 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Thanks Everyone for your comments :) I really appreciate them! Will definitely be cooking up some meatballs soon with some spaghetti sauce so DH can have him a meatball sub.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:49 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
After seeing these meatballs in a Bobby Flay "Throw Down", I had to try them. I've been using the recipe ever since. I do sub parm for the romano.

Craig, I also bake mine in the oven. Beats standing over the stove and getting splattered with grease. But I put a rack on the cookie sheet. It speeds up the baking and the meatballs aren't sitting in any of the grease. I just have to turn them once. There is such a difference in the flavor when you put them in the oven than when you fry them. Definitely oven every time!
Old 07-21-2014, 09:24 PM   #10
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post

My recipe is very like this one. I use Progresso's Italian breadcrumbs though - I omit the fresh basil...though...may give that a try!

Tags
meat, other, recipe

ISO Good Meatball Recipe [FONT="Arial"]Hey Everybody, I've been looking for a good meatball recipe, does anyone have one that they wouldn't mind sharing? I've only made meatballs once from a recipe I found online, but we didn't quiet like them and they were extremely expensive to make. Open to any new recipes... Thanks, in advance! [/FONT] 3 stars 1 reviews