ISO Ground beef ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
The KN (a/k/a my Dad) loaded the freezer with ground beef the other day. Ground beef is not my go to. Other than spaghetti, chili, meatloaf, meatballs, burgers, tacos, and shepherd's pie/tater tot hotdish, I really hit a brick wall when it comes to ground beef and the Elders. I can't use cabbage, spinach, swiss chard, or kale. My Mom can't eat sandwiches (I make her wraps). I can't make anything spicy, so many of my favs are out. I like to have something left for my Mom's lunches, something easy to feed her. Soups are very hard to feed her, most ends up on her bib. My father is extremely fussy and borderline diabetic, so I try to control the pasta. Mom doesn't digest wild rice. Any ideas to trigger something different would be nice.

cottage pie
"hamburger" hot dogs. Should make a good wrap, add a little egg and coat w bread crumbs or cornflakes to bind together.
hamburger - vegetable stew-- thicker than soup,
Impossible cheeseburger pie w bisquik or homemade
Pasties
pastitsio
moussaka
gumbo sloppy joes w/chix gumbo soup and I forget what else
sweet and sour meatballs
burger beef and broccoli or appropriate vegetable
Tamale pie ( not sure how to make not too spicy)
Hamburger hash
Jucy Lucy's , Patty melts
Maid Rites
Swedish meatballs, frikadeller et al
Hamburger gravy / mashed potatoes or on biscuits

Hope this begats more ideas all around

- Canneloni or lasagna.
- Enchiladas.
- Stuffed bell peppers with rice and tomato sauce
- Turkish meatballs and vegetables - you can adjust the spices to your parents' taste
https://youtu.be/Q6yyx38ZpvA
- Turkish kebab tray bake - similar to the above but it looks like a pie rather than meatballs: https://ozlemsturkishtable.com/tag/turkish-kebabs/
- German meatballs in white sauce: https://www.thespruceeats.com/meatballs-in-white-sauce-recipe-1447156

- simple meatballs simmered in a light barbecue sauce, served with egg noodles

- Mexican meatballs - these are in a chipotle sauce, but again, you can adjust seasonings as needed - https://www.food.com/recipe/meatballs-in-chipotle-sauce-albondigas-enchipotladas-469586

Are you sensing a theme? ;) I love meatballs. So simple, yet so infinitely variable. Pair them with rice or noodles and a pile of roasted vegetables or a salad and you're good to go. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Like a Scramburger

1 pound ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
1 large garlic clove, minced, or ½ teaspoon garlic powder
1/3 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
1 tablespoon brown sugar
Salt and pepper to taste

Cook the ground beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat until meat is no longer pink, breaking up clumps with a spoon. Drain if there is excess fat. Add onion to the ground beef and cook just until the turns transparent, add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the ketchup, vinegar, Worcestershire, relish and brown sugar, then add about ¼ cup water. You want the mixture to be moist, but not soupy. Add salt and pepper if desired. Cook, uncovered, over medium-low heat for 10 minutes.

We serve it on hamburger buns, but it could just as easily be served in a wrap, probably easier to eat that way anyway. Sometimes we add a slice of cheese, just depends on our mood. I

We found this recipe because Craig likes Sloppy Joe's but they started to really bother my stomach because of the acid in the thick tomato sauce. This recipe doesn't bother me at all and he still gets his Sloppy Joe's.

How about frying up the ground beef loose and then using it in pyttipanna / biksemad (Scandinavian hash)?

After getting deals on beef to grind up, I ended a up with a lot of ground beef in my freezer, too! I use it instead of ground pork, in many of my favorite Chinese foods, as well as Mexican, though I doubt that those would good for your parents! However, there are countless non-spicy Chinese recipes using ground pork, if they like them, and you could try them with beef.

CWS, you are about 7 items ahead of me. I hate ground beef. I do eat though. All I can say is good luck.

CWS, you are about 7 items ahead of me. I hate ground beef. I do eat though. All I can say is good luck.
It isn't that I hate ground beef, it is just not my go-to with my folks because of all the things I can't cook for them and my Dad's fussy pallete. But no, ground beef is not my go-to. Chicken, lamb, pork, fish.

Like a Scramburger

1 pound ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
1 large garlic clove, minced, or ½ teaspoon garlic powder
1/3 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
1 tablespoon brown sugar
Salt and pepper to taste

Cook the ground beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat until meat is no longer pink, breaking up clumps with a spoon. Drain if there is excess fat. Add onion to the ground beef and cook just until the turns transparent, add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the ketchup, vinegar, Worcestershire, relish and brown sugar, then add about ¼ cup water. You want the mixture to be moist, but not soupy. Add salt and pepper if desired. Cook, uncovered, over medium-low heat for 10 minutes.

We serve it on hamburger buns, but it could just as easily be served in a wrap, probably easier to eat that way anyway. Sometimes we add a slice of cheese, just depends on our mood. I

We found this recipe because Craig likes Sloppy Joe's but they started to really bother my stomach because of the acid in the thick tomato sauce. This recipe doesn't bother me at all and he still gets his Sloppy Joe's.

This is very similar to my mom's Sloppy Joes, still one of my favorite comfort foods. I make them fairly regularly for myself, but my wife doesn't like them... too vinegary for her. Just the fragrant odors from cooking this takes me right back to my childhood in Minnesota.

I've never had a recipe nor any measurements for the filling, just build it as I go by look and taste - I think I use a little more vinegar, about the same amount of ketchup, and I don't use the sugar or the relish. I will usually add either some red pepper flakes or a strong dash of spicy BBQ sauce like Famous Dave's Devil's Spit for a little more zip. I also usually add about a teaspoon of yellow mustard before letting it simmer for 5-10 minutes to "grow together" and cook off some of the liquid. Sometimes I'll also use about half a bell pepper, diced and added at the same time as the onion.

Biff ala Lindström?

Can they have beet root? Because it the can, I can find Russian hash recipe for you.
Boiled meatballs with root veggies is also recipe I can try to find.

Back
Top Bottom