"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2016, 07:07 PM   #21
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Curious - are you guys freezing these rib roasts till Christmas or what?
No. I waited until today so I wouldn't have to. Sometime Friday I'll salt it and put it back into the fridge in preparation for Sunday's roasting.

Old 12-21-2016, 05:25 AM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

The first time I ever made a prime four rib roast, I had no idea what I was doing. I had never made one before. So I went on line. And I found a recipe that sounded weird. It was from Paula Deen. When she was still popular. It sounded just weird enough that I thought it would work. So I gave it a try. Brought the roast upstairs to my daughter's home. Absolute Perfection. But I still think it is very weird!

Old 12-21-2016, 03:29 PM   #23
Master Chef

You and your daughter lived in the same multi-family home, Addie? I don't remember you mentioning that before, but then my rememberer isn't always good. How long ago was it that you lived that close to each other? I know I would love it if we bought a home with housing for two or three families when we move back. A three-unit condo, with a kid on each end? Love it!

"A dream is a festival of lights within your mind."~~~Joan Walsh Anglund
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 08:18 AM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
You and your daughter lived in the same multi-family home, Addie? I don't remember you mentioning that before, but then my rememberer isn't always good. How long ago was it that you lived that close to each other? I know I would love it if we bought a home with housing for two or three families when we move back. A three-unit condo, with a kid on each end? Love it!
It was about ten or a few more years ago. I was fighting to keep my leg. My daughter turned the basement (what used to be a construction office) into an apartment for me. I was in a wheel chair and there were times I needed around the clock care. Not a time I remember with fond memories.

If it hadn't been for her fighting for my leg, MGH would have cut it off at the very beginning of when the problem started. Once the plastic surgeon fixed my leg, I moved into my present address. I will always have a limp, and cannot go up a flight of stairs. But I can run down them backwards.

Like I tell everyone, everyone that moves into this building, comes here to die. I am ready!
Old 12-22-2016, 08:25 AM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I know I would love it if we bought a home with housing for two or three families when we move back. A three-unit condo, with a kid on each end? Love it!
Would Goober and Loverly love it, too? Didn't you say they are like city mouse and country mouse? Somehow I don't see them happily compromising in the suburbs
Old 12-22-2016, 08:38 AM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Would Goober and Loverly love it, too? Didn't you say they are like city mouse and country mouse? Somehow I don't see them happily compromising in the suburbs
I live about 45 seconds away from my daughter and about three minutes from Spike (by car). My youngest lives in Vermont. And I still have Pirate with me. And that will becoming to an end soon. That is close enough for me. On days when the weather is cooperating, I can reach my daughter and Spike on my scooter. I plug it in every night to keep it fully charged. It goes at about eight mph and can go 12 miles on one charge. They are out of sight, but close enough for emergencies. Perfect arrangement.
Old 12-22-2016, 03:40 PM   #27
Master Chef

Quote:
Loverly has actually said that living close-close would be fine. I think she's as tired of waiting to see us between our two trips in to OH as I am of making that drive twice a year. Not sure Himself and I want to go as "country" as she likes, but she's suburban OK. Meanwhile, Goober had told us while he was in college that he would get a high-paying job so he could support us and take care of us in our old age. He hasn't found the "high-paying" job yet, but we know where he could end up doing elder care.

"A dream is a festival of lights within your mind."~~~Joan Walsh Anglund
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 04:06 PM   #28
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Confused, thought we were discussing rib roast...
Old 12-22-2016, 04:14 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

My 2-bone roast came out really good last night. The remote probe thermometer brought doneness to perfection. I pulled the roast out of the oven at 125, rested, then cranked the oven to 500 for the final sear.
The crust was a bit salty so I'll use less salt next time.
Old 12-22-2016, 04:41 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Hm. Our local grocer advertised on TV rib roasts for $6.98 a lb. May just have to get me one!

Timely thread!

Tags
roast, cooking