"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef
Click Here to Login

Old 12-25-2016, 03:29 AM   #51
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
It should take you about 2 hours total time for that to be ready, so you can count back . I would oven sear it in a preheated oven at 450 for about 10 minutes. Then, drop the temp to 275-300. That should take about 1 and a half to two hours to come up to rare...depending on what you want, I would pull it at this time and let it rest. It shouldn't finish up to more than med-rare. You can cut it 15-20 minutes later and serve like that or lay it out on a tray and pour a bit of warm gravy on it to help bring the temperature up again...lots of ways to do it, depending on how you want to serve it...
You will get lots of different opinions on this, trust me...
She said she is doing a "reverse sear", so what you suggest isn't going to help her. I'm doing a reverse sear myself for the first time tomorrow, and I've told my guests to arrive about 12:30-1:00, but that dinner would be served when it's ready. I will start by using the suggestions at Serious Eats, but if it goes too slow, then I may have to bump up the temp. I'll still be cooking by the thermometer, not by time.

Tags
roast, cooking