ISO help cooking a rib roast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hm. Our local grocer advertised on TV rib roasts for $6.98 a lb. May just have to get me one!

Timely thread!

Very disappointed. The rib roasts that were supposed to be $6.98 a lb according to their commercial and their online flyer, are marked $9.99 and $12.99 a lb as reported by DH who's at the store right now. He won't ask about it. I might call the store and ask what's up.

Last edited:
Very disappointed. The rib roasts that were supposed to be $6.98 a lb according to their commercial and their online flyer, are marked $9.99 and $12.99 a lb as reported by DH who's at the store right now. He won't ask about it. I might call the store and ask what's up.

Here in Mass. if it is advertised for one price, and you go to buy it, and the price has been jacked up, you can get it for FREE. :ohmy: If hubby has the flyer, he should be talking to the Store Manager.

It's supposed to be good until 12/27. Our local stores apparently don't always get the memo from corporate.

DH is not a happy shopper, so talking to the manager was not going to happen. He was already annoyed just by shopping.

Last edited:
Reading this thread and the article about reverse sear - I'm going to try it, but how many mins per lb?? Can't seem to find that anywhere! Mine is boneless btw.

Instead of relying on how many minutes per pound I use a remote probe thermometer.
Minutes per pound will give you a general idea of how long the cook will take and you may have to periodically use a meat thermometer to check its doneness. Minutes per pound info is out there.

Specifically looking for around what time to put my 6lb roast in the oven for serving at 630 (including rest time). I see different mins per lb based on methods of cooking but not for this reverse sear.method. I will be using thermometer but don't want it ready to serve at 5 when everything else will be done at 630. Kwim?

Specifically looking for around what time to put my 6lb roast in the oven for serving at 630 (including rest time). I see different mins per lb based on methods of cooking but not for this reverse sear.method. I will be using thermometer but don't want it ready to serve at 5 when everything else will be done at 630. Kwim?
It should take you about 2 hours total time for that to be ready, so you can count back . I would oven sear it in a preheated oven at 450 for about 10 minutes. Then, drop the temp to 275-300. That should take about 1 and a half to two hours to come up to rare...depending on what you want, I would pull it at this time and let it rest. It shouldn't finish up to more than med-rare. You can cut it 15-20 minutes later and serve like that or lay it out on a tray and pour a bit of warm gravy on it to help bring the temperature up again...lots of ways to do it, depending on how you want to serve it...
You will get lots of different opinions on this, trust me...

Last edited:

Well, I called the store. DH didn't check the right place. They weren't in the meat case, they were separate. DH should have asked. And apparently the warehouse didn't send enough, when the meat guy checked just now, they were all gone. Another shipment comes in Tuesday am, and he said he'd set one back for us. So we may have one for New Year's.

Some advantages of living in a small town!

Put it in at 1:30 pm at 250°F and follow this method: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2009/12/perfect-prime-rib-beef-recipe.html

The thing is, you can't really overcook the meat with this method, and it can hold for a very long time before you sear it at the end, right before serving. The first time I made it this way, I was really sick (chronic illness) and ended up serving dinner a couple hours later than planned. It was absolutely perfect :)

It should take you about 2 hours total time for that to be ready, so you can count back . I would oven sear it in a preheated oven at 450 for about 10 minutes. Then, drop the temp to 275-300. That should take about 1 and a half to two hours to come up to rare...depending on what you want, I would pull it at this time and let it rest. It shouldn't finish up to more than med-rare. You can cut it 15-20 minutes later and serve like that or lay it out on a tray and pour a bit of warm gravy on it to help bring the temperature up again...lots of ways to do it, depending on how you want to serve it...
You will get lots of different opinions on this, trust me...

She said she is doing a "reverse sear", so what you suggest isn't going to help her. I'm doing a reverse sear myself for the first time tomorrow, and I've told my guests to arrive about 12:30-1:00, but that dinner would be served when it's ready. I will start by using the suggestions at Serious Eats, but if it goes too slow, then I may have to bump up the temp. I'll still be cooking by the thermometer, not by time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom