"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef
Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2016, 03:53 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

ISO help cooking a rib roast

Hello everyone. I have been looking at tips on website for quite some time. I have bought a rib roast for my father this year. It is a small one as I don't eat meat. Can you give me any ideas....it is 4 lbs

Old 12-19-2016, 04:19 PM   #2
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldschool View Post
Hello everyone. I have been looking at tips on website for quite some time. I have bought a rib roast for my father this year. It is a small one as I don't eat meat. Can you give me any ideas....it is 4 lbs
Generous coat of salt (kosher) and freshly ground black pepper. Pre-heat oven to 500F. Place roast in a rack, then into a roasting pan. Cook at 500F for 5 minutes, then reduce heat to 200F for 1 hour per pound. This will give a rare roast. Cook longer for med-rare center. Use an instant read thermometer to check internal temperature, making sure you don't hit bone.

Old 12-19-2016, 04:37 PM   #3
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldschool View Post
Everyone seems to have their own method for cooking rib roast. Craig's method will work fine.

But regardless, I would suggest you use a meat thermometer, especially if you don't have a lot of experience cooking meat. For medium rare (which is the typical serving temp for rib roast), I would roast it until it reaches an internal temp of 125F, then take it out of the oven and let it rest until it comes up to about 130F before carving.
Old 12-19-2016, 04:50 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Serious Eats has the best-ever way to make a rib roast. I will never use another method. A few years ago, I was really sick on Christmas and ended up serving dinner a couple hours later than planned. The roast stayed in the oven the whole time and was still perfect after searing.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/12/s...prime-rib.html
Old 12-19-2016, 05:44 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

This year I'm using the reverse sear method that's resulted in great results before.

Trim excess fat from the top of the roast leaving " of fat. Cut a cross-hatch pattern in the fat with the cuts spaces 1" apart. Rub the roast all over with 2 Tb. of kosher salt. Place the roast on a platter and put it into the refrigerator, uncovered, for AT LEAST 24 hours before roasting.

Preheat the oven to 250F, place the roast on a rack in a roasting pan and insert a thermometer into the thickest part of the roast. Roast until the internal temperature reaches 120F-125F. Remove the roast from the oven, tent it with foil and let it rest for an hour. Preheat the broiler and place the roast back in the oven and broil for 5 minutes to create a nice crust on top. Slice and serve. (no need to rest the roast after the broiling because it has already rested).
Old 12-19-2016, 06:27 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Do you place the roast with the fat cap on top?
Old 12-19-2016, 07:35 PM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
This year I'm using the reverse sear method that's resulted in great results before.

Trim excess fat from the top of the roast leaving " of fat. Cut a cross-hatch pattern in the fat with the cuts spaces 1" apart. Rub the roast all over with 2 Tb. of kosher salt. Place the roast on a platter and put it into the refrigerator, uncovered, for AT LEAST 24 hours before roasting.

Preheat the oven to 250F, place the roast on a rack in a roasting pan and insert a thermometer into the thickest part of the roast. Roast until the internal temperature reaches 120F-125F. Remove the roast from the oven, tent it with foil and let it rest for an hour. Preheat the broiler and place the roast back in the oven and broil for 5 minutes to create a nice crust on top. Slice and serve. (no need to rest the roast after the broiling because it has already rested).
Is this a prime rib?
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 01:17 AM   #8
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Use a pitchfork to keep away "oven peekers"...
Old 12-20-2016, 03:10 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Remember when we were told to not make any loud noises or jumping. It would make the cake fall. Well for the longest time I had my kids believing that, no matter what I had in the oven. "Sit quietly, the roast will never cook. There too many of you all in the kitchen. The turkey is going to come out raw" For years, they never knew there was a light in the oven and you could watch the food cook.

But I like your idea. And if the pitchfork should just happen to slip, I could always say I was doing an audition for Green Acres.
Old 12-20-2016, 09:26 AM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
Is this a prime rib?
It's a boneless prime rib.

Tags
roast, cooking