ISO help cooking deckel roast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danpeikes

Senior Cook
I picked up a deckel roast. I think it is a plate cut similar to brisket but does anyone know for sure?
I am thinking of cooking it and glazing it. Any suggestions on cooking methods for this piece of meat?

I am not sure what a deckel roast is, but I might cook it like you would make a pot roast. Serve it was a side of garlic mashed potatoes and whatever vegetable you want.

What exactly does the label say????? -- I'm guessing you have the point cut of a beef brisket...The deckle is actually a layer of fat and lean between the rib bone and the beef brisket ...Cooking methods...braising or low, slow BBQing....

A full brisket consists of two common cuts - the point cut and flat cut. The flat cut is the better of the two as it has more lean and less fat. The point cut is a two layer piece with one flat section on top of the other separated by a layer of fat. The smaller top layer is the deckel.

I'd cook it as you would other parts of the brisket. It has to be slow cooked.

most the recipes call for the brisket to already be pickeled. Can I pickel it myself in 2 days?

Not in two days. The pickling makes a fresh brisket into a corned beef brisket. You can cook it as a fresh brisket as you would a pot roast.

and in the end

I endede up roasting it covered in a roasting pan at 315F. I put it down on a bed of mirpoix(sp?) and garlic. I rubber it down with with some liquid smoke and some pickling spice. i put some beef stock on the bottem of the roasting pan cooked it for about 3 hrs and here is the result.

Daniel Peikes's Photos | Facebook

Back
Top Bottom