ISO help/tips making steak and onions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stallard

Assistant Cook
I want to duplicate my late mothers skillet steak and onions. She used several pieces of steak, I guess thin cut sirloin would work or round, about 3" squarish. The steak and the chopped onion were cooked in a skillet and when finished it was in an almost black tasty gravy. I guess she added flour, seasonings and some liquid. I know that the best part of the dish was to mop up the sauce (consistency of gravy) with slices of bread.
This was all done during the scarcity war years in the UK, so no exotic items were available.
Can anyone deduce the ingredents and cooking times from this information? I'm a guy, so it would have to be simple !!!! Any help would be appreciated.

Dredge (coat) the steak in flour, fry it on med/high temp in the oil(she probably used bacon grease) until brown on both sides, move the meat to one side, or remove it all together, add the onions and fry until soft. Add enough water, or beef stock(broth) to cover the meat, and then maybe some black pepper, salt, seasonings if you desire. Turn your heat down until you get a nice slow simmer. Cover and let bubble away for the better part of an hour. The meat will tenderize and the liquid will reduce and thicken into a gravy. If it gets too thick, just add a bit of liquid to get the consistency you desire.....

My mother made the same thing and I crave it once and a while. I have added other ingredients to it, only because I can't leave well enough alone in the kitchen. I add garlic, a tlbsp of tomato paste, bay leaves, dried allspice berries, thyme....and serve it on egg noodles....

Last edited:
We used to make a similar dish with leftover slices of meat from the Sunday roast of beast.

Several grinds of black pepper and a shot of Worcestershire sauce wouldn't hurt!

It would also be good if you swap out the onions and add in mushrooms.

I can't wait for fall/winter to arrive so I can get back to some real comfort food! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Last edited:
That sounds delicious. I'm thinking to add some wine and sour cream and call it stroganoff. This goes on the menu soon.

Back then lard was used quit a bit.Onions cooked in hot lard and coat the steak with corn starch to fry, for a dark sauce. Of course I'm just guessing! But it seams like it would work.

Back
Top Bottom