"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 03-07-2008, 03:16 PM   #21
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I have to add that I almost never get a steak at a non steak restaurant. If I want steak out then I will go to a steakhouse. Otherwise I will get something else off the menu.
I'm with you, but clearly an "all-purpose" restaurant has to have a couple of steak offerings. Just like a seafood place really has to have a few non-seafood listings. He's actually taking his survey in a great place. The posters here are a better cross section of society than his immediate audience.
altho I agree it would be good to survey them, as well.

Many restaurants run a tasting week before opening where they invite their friends, family and neighbors in for a free (except for tax and gratuity) dinner in exchange for their candid comments on the food, menu, service, etc. (No, drinks are NOT on the house!) It's a good idea to budget for this kind of preview. It also gives your staff time to work out some of the kinks.

Hey! I usually get PAID for this kind of advice!

Old 03-07-2008, 04:19 PM   #22
Assistant Cook

Ribeye. Its more versatile, and easier to cut....plus its more tender, and cooks to temp faster.

Old 03-07-2008, 04:32 PM   #23
Assistant Cook

It's a japanese fusion place. it's a family home-made sauce, that i've grown up with and its really delicious. I think it's something people would like if they're willing to try different think than just a regular steak thrown on a grill. I hope that they would take a liking to it.

Thanks for all your opinions.

ChefJune, what do you do? A server? you've been through an opening before?
Old 03-07-2008, 04:44 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Nightcrawler....Check out the link at the bottom of ChefJune's post...

Enjoy!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 05:01 PM   #25
Assistant Cook

Oh! I see! Cool. Nice to know
Old 03-07-2008, 05:56 PM   #26
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
It's a japanese fusion place. it's a family home-made sauce, that i've grown up with and its really delicious. I think it's something people would like if they're willing to try different think than just a regular steak thrown on a grill. I hope that they would take a liking to it.

Thanks for all your opinions.

ChefJune, what do you do? A server? you've been through an opening before?
As it's a Japanese Steak sauce, then I'd be using the NY strip for sure, and slice it into smaller stirps. Quickly stir-fry it, leaving it pink, if not red, on the inside. Cooked in this manner, it would still give the customer the great beef flavor, but in a form they might expect. It also lends itself to Asian sides better. And yet, since you have a fusion place, you could make sandwiches in pita-pockets, or on a hoagie bun. Your steak becomes more verssatile.

If you are looking for wow-factor, then serve as a bone-in rib steak, seared on a steel griddle, served up again rare to medium rare, with good sides.

The NY strip will give you greater versatility, but is not as easily transformed into something that has the sheer eye-apeal that a bone-in rib steak can command. Adn though like the other people here, I prefer a good steak without a marinade or brine, a good one can add great color and flavor to a steak without taking away the beef flavor that people expect. Just make sure that the sauce compliments, not replaces the beef flavor.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 07:28 PM   #27
Master Chef

Since it's Japanese fusion, I would choose the New York Strip, and go ahead with your marinade.
Or have you considered prime sirloin?
Old 03-08-2008, 09:02 AM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

japanese and "what" fusion?

how about japanese and mexican fusion?

j/k.

strip is definitely the way to go, but again, check the supplier.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None