ISO Japanese fusion restaurant menu steak offering idea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nightcrawler

Assistant Cook
at a non-steakhouse restaurant...the choices on the menu are ribeye or ny strip. Which would you choose? The steaks would be a house marinade.

Also, i was thinking of putting on the menu a filet mignon dish, and another steak dish, that would be either a ribeye or ny strip. so help me choose with your opinions.

Thanks!

Ribeye is always my steak of choice, but I would not pick it if it were in a marinade.

hmm, there's been a run on the ribeye, so i'll have the ny strip.

j/k.

i really would choose the ny strip. mmmm, i'm thinking of a favourite dish in a mexican joint near home. it's a marinated and grilled ny strip topped with salsa, served with mexican rice and refried beans on one side, and 2 cheese burritos on the other side. yum!

in reality, i'd go with whatever cut was better from your supplier, but imo, ny strips seem to be better average quality, while ribeyes are either great or boring and too fatty/gristle-y.

Probably the NY Strip. If it isn't a really good rib eye, your not getting a lot of edible meat. NY Strip tends to be pretty meaty, less fat.

I have seen a lot of poor rib eyes. Most NY strips are pretty descent.

I know a bar that serves the best NY strips you will ever eat. The small is 16oz. the large is a 22 oz.... All grown locally, grass and grain fed Angus, nothing artificial added. Luckily, it's only 20 minutes from my house!

Ny strip, but you might want to look into something. There is a company that sells a "Philadelphia Strip Steak". They are call Enterprise Steaks. I don't know the phone number, nor what they do as far as deliver, but I get them sent to my house. A "Philly Strip" is 16oZ of Prime Angus Strip Steak. I am just outside of Philly, so they deliver free to me. I buy other steaks from them as well. All the beef is Prime Angus. I can't get that at my supermarket.

I like both of them, but NO marinade!!!

add a filet and rub it (no marinade) with a coffee/cocoa mixture. yum! (I'd be doing that for sure if I had a restaurant right now.) :chef:

FWIW, my steak of choice is Porterhouse.

I like both of them, but NO marinade!!!

add a filet and rub it (no marinade) with a coffee/cocoa mixture. yum! (I'd be doing that for sure if I had a restaurant right now.) :chef:

FWIW, my steak of choice is Porterhouse.

DITT0!!

A Rib-Eye, Strip, and a Filet will cover a lot of bases in a Non Steak House restaurant....

The Porterhouse...1 1/2" minimum........

I agree with Bucky that I would try both products from your supplier and see which is better. I like them both, but when I buy them at the store I want to look at them carefully.

Envy Bucky, a great Tex-Mex place that marinates pieces ny strip and tosses it in with salsa and stuff sounds like a tender way to serve the beef dish. Am tired of Tex-Mex places that serve tough meat.

But if I want a steak, and I mean a thick cut, well cooked, good grade steak, I would not order it with a marinade.

A piece of meat like that does not need help.

Fine steak restaurants do not marinate their beef, why do you want to?

You're asking the wrong people this question. If you're in a restaurant, you should be "asking" your customers. Do folks in your area tend to favor one or over the other? Did you mention the marinade because it's what you like or what your customers like?
For the most part the people you're talking to here are foodies. They (we) already have a preference one way or another. As you can see by the posts, the mix is almost 50-50, but 100% for not marinaded.
Anyway... we're not the ones who'll be buying your food. Ask those people.

Ciao,

NY with a sweeter honey-chipotle bbq sauce (house made, not that store bought crap lol).

Ribeye with S&P and a little minced garlic. Maybe a flavored beurre blanc sauce.

Filet, go all-out french and make tournedoes. 2 3oz portions of filet wrapped in bacon on the "waist", seared, cooked and then topped with a thin slice of Foie Gras and a little madeira sauce. (rare please!).

Given the choices presented, I guess for me, it would depend on the
marinade used, as described on the menu.

PERSONALLY, put me in the ribeye no marinade crowd. Or the NY Strip if it
is cooked correctly. Me and cow are friends, LOL

I have to add that I almost never get a steak at a non steak restaurant. If I want steak out then I will go to a steakhouse. Otherwise I will get something else off the menu.

Back
Top Bottom