ISO Left over prime rib ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abjcooking

Head Chef
Any ideas on how to use leftover prime rib besides just putting it onto a sandwich? I don't have quite enough leftover to reheat for 2 people, but there is still enough that I don't want to waste it.

How about cubing the rest up, make a little gravy, and mix with cooked noodles or rice, adding mushrooms or hand full of peas. I do this alot with left over beef.

Hash. Use frozen hashbrown potatoes or leftover baked or boiled potatoes.Shred them, saute an onion, add the beef cut into small pieces and cook in the frying pan, turning and pushing down to make a crusty brown hash.

Barb L. said:
How about cubing the rest up, make a little gravy, and mix with cooked noodles or rice, adding mushrooms or hand full of peas. I do this alot with left over beef.

my wife did that last night with left over chuck roast....yummy !!!

abj, when you posted you were having prime rib for dinner yesterday, I should have asked if I could join you :pig:

Steak salad - bleu cheese (or goat cheese), grape tomatoes, red onions, mushrooms, arugala, mandarin oranges

Mini beef wellingtons - mushrooms, spinach & blue cheese filling

Individual Beef Wellingtons with Mushroom, Spinach & Blue Cheese Filling - Fine Cooking

Stir Fry - asparagus, onions, mushrooms, peppers - serve with rice or a noodle

Last edited:
Wow, I didn't expect so many answers so quickly. I'm going to have to pass these along to my boyfriend and see what he feels like having. Great ideas, thanks
Mish, those individual beef wellingtons look wonderful. I'm going to have to save that recipe and give it a try as soon as I can find some puff pastry.

abjcooking said:
...Mish, those individual beef wellingtons look wonderful. I'm going to have to save that recipe and give it a try as soon as I can find some puff pastry.

I lick my lips every time I look at that pic, abj. :) In a pinch, you could use crescent rolls/dough.

A few more:

Steak kebobs - mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, onions, red/green peppers, halved mozzarella balls & serve with rice pilaf & salad.

Maybe you can work some strawberries & sliced avos into the steak salad & drizzle with balsamic.

Surf 'n turf - Steak, garlic prawns, roasted/grilled asparagus, baked potato w sour cream & chives, garlic bread, salad, & cheesecake for dessert. If I bring the wine, can I come over? lol

Last edited:
I use any leftover prime rib to make beef tips with mushrooms. It is very good over rice, mashed potatoes, even slices of good bread. I use some of the au jus to make a bit of gravy and it is a very good - good flavor and an easy meal. Also cooking the bones in a bit of water produces very good beef broth.

Thanks for all the advise. I ended up going with quesadillas since mexican food sounded good, but my boyfriend has requested that I fix the prime rib more often, seeing as how he loved it, so I have a feeling I will be trying a bunch of these.

Charleysaunt said:
Not sure how you will make beef wellingtons or kebabs out of leftover cooked meat.

For the wellingtons, trim away what you don't want from the leftover beef & get rid of the fat. Puff pastry and crescent roll dough don't require long cooking/baking time. If you want a thicker higher wellington, I would stack one piece of meat on top of the other - wrap & bake.

For the kebobs - cut the leftover meat in chunks, discard what you don't want. The beef can be reheated separately, or as suggested, the mushrooms, onions, tomatoes, etc are all quick cooking if placed all together on skewers. The kebob ingredients all wind up on the same plate - cooked separately or all together on skewers - on a grill, under the broiler or in the oven.

One of the things I love about cooking, is the creativity based on knowledge, and coming up with my own creation. :chef:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom