ISO making Homemade Kosher Beef sausage info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danpeikes

Senior Cook
I am interested in making my own beef sausage. I am not looking for a recipe as much as a technique. No pork product I am strictly kosher. I have about 10 feet of a platic like casing that is ment to come off before eating. Not sure the correct way to use it though. I have a grinder and plan to grind my own meat. What beef cuts should I use? How much fat should I use? What kind of fat should I use? What else do I need to add? How do I set/cook/smoke the sausage. Any help is appreciated.

Shalom Dan Beef Chuck is prefered for kosher sausage, as it has the right fat to lean
% 25/75. If you are realy interested PM me and I will give you 1 may be 2 formula,s for kosher beef sausage Mazel Tov

Oy vey! Unless the recipes are copyrighted - why not share them with all of us Dave?

We have several DC members who keep Kosher, and Halal, and others who would be interested.

Thanks Mike, I too would be interested.

Am not Jewish and therefore not kosher, but have had to learn a bit about the subject.

The cuts of meat, unless done by a very well skilled kosher butcher, would come from the front of the animal, and the chuck seems about the best bet.

There is plenty of fat on the chuck, so I doubt one would need to add more.

But for someone who is strickly kosher, would talk to my rabbi. Rabbis, at least the ones I have known, are great people. And they know a heck of a lot, particularly about Jewish tradition.

That is all I have to offer.

Dave I will be PMing you in a minute. I generally know which cuts are kosher. Been Kosher all my life plus me my dad and my uncle are in the food business. Plus my neighbor is a Jewish Ritual Slauterer (shochet)

I have no dietary restrictions, but I love making sausage. I've never tried making beef sausage, but would be interested in seeing your recipes, too, Dave!

Lee

Please, we want recipe, we want recipe, we want recipe...

Also, danpeikes, where did you buy or get casing? I'vee been wanting to get it for ever but here in MN forget about it. You can't find it.

P.S. A gut Shabbos.

Charlie, have not made sausage for a bit but there are definitely sheep, lamb, and beef casings out there. As well as collagen casings which made generally from, as the web tells me, rendered beef hides. But as far as I can determine for those casings to be kosher the animal must be killed and processed within the parameters of Kosher law.

But there are synthetic casings that have to be removed before eating.

Have used The Sausage Maker many times, The Sausage Maker, Inc. - Sausage Making Equipment & Supplies went to the web site and he vends synthetic casings.

Also Googled synthetic sausage casings and found a number of hits.

Hope this helps.

About the best I can do. God bless.

Kosher Salami

8 pounds kosher beef 100 %
2 pounds kosher beef fat 2.5%
3 TBL kosher salt + 1 tsp kosher salt
1.1/2 tablespoons sugar
1 TBL course ground Coriander seed
1 TBL fine grind white pepper
11/2 tsp course grind white pepper
.1/2 tsp Ascorbic acid (Vitamin C, Jewish sour salt)
1 .1/2 finely minced garlic
1 cup dry white wine Kosher
4 feet of large beef casing
Curing salt (use supplier’s recommended for Ten pounds of meat)
1 cut the meat into 1 inch cubes refrigerate cubes for 30 minutes to firm up meat before grinding

2 Grind the beef through the fine disk into a Very Clean bowl
3 Grind the fat through the course plate into the bowl with the meat
4. Mix together the salt, sugar, coriander, fine and coarsely ground white pepper ascorbic acid, curing salt, wine, and pour the mixture over the meat and fat. Mix well using your hands.

5 Spread the meat mixture over a very clean pan and let it cure for 24 to 48 hours
In the refrigerator. Cover the meat with plastic wrap to keep it from drying out
6 prepare the casing

7 Stuff the mixture into the casings. Twist off the links into 8 inch links tie each link with butchers twine. Do not separate the links
8 Hang the sausage in a cold place to dry for one week to dry
9 Wipe the sausage dry and cold smoke @ 120 degrees for 8 hours

10 Increase the smoking temperature 150*F to 160*F and smoke for a additional
4 hours

11. Because smoking aids in the drying process, the salami should be ready to eat
After about three weeks of additional drying in a cold place. When dry cut the links apart with a sharp knife wrap the salami in plastic wrap and refrigerate.
Recommend using a commercial cure..

The processing in the formula may not fully cook the beef. Recommend cooking to a internal temp of 160*F . Also recommend that the beef be frozen before making sausage

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom