"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 05-02-2007, 09:49 AM   #11
Head Chef

Since I'm doing ground pork instead of using the sausage.....I was also thinking about cooking pepporini on the stove for a good 1/2 hour and than just use the drippings for the meatloaf.

But, I'm also thinking, than I should of just kept with the sausage instead of switching to ground pork. I do want the flavor to be yummy. My basic meatloafs actually don't have any sausage or bacon in it and it's still good though.

Old 05-02-2007, 09:54 AM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

I think Italian sausage would give a better flavor than breakfast sausage (also very good).

I recommend just chopping up the pepperoni and mixing it into the meatloaf mix.

Old 05-02-2007, 11:22 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

I have a meat loaf pan. Can't remember where I got it. It looks like a regular loaf pan with an tray that fits inside. The tray sits slightly above the bottom of the pan to catch the fat from the ground meats. It certainly makes for a better meatloaf with less fat.

The addtion of garlic, pepper etc. would be a definate addition to the posted recipe.

Enjoy!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 11:33 AM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by legend_018
I'm not making this until Friday, but I went to the market a few minutes ago. I decided to use ground turkey instead of the sausage. But, I will still use the bacon. I got the hoffmans cheddar at the deli. I forgot to ask for it whole and she sliced it. oh well.

Are you using turkey or pork?

IMO, pork is better than sausage but that's a matter of taste. I like meatloaf mix, myself.

Turkey will need a lot of seasoning.

450 is much too hot, IMO. You'll burn the outside before the inside is cooked.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:37 AM   #15
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
I would change a few things, but that's just me.

First, I would increase the number of eggs to two, one for each pound of meat. But, I wouldn't use eggs. I would use 1/2 cup of Better-N-Eggs egg substitute, but that equals two large eggs. I would also increase the bread crumbs to 1 cup, and I would make them with fresh slices of whole grain bread in my food processor, or I would replace the cup of bread crumbs with a cup of rolled oats to increase the healthiness factor. I would increase the amount of cheddar cheese to six ounces, and I would use low fat shredded, not cubed. I would also leave the bacon strips whole and put them on top of the meatloaf to impart a mositness (albiet a greasy moistness) into the finished product. I would, however, not use turkey bacon to make it more healthy. Turkey bacon is disgusting! Last but not least, I would stuff it all into a loaf pan, but the loaf pan would just be a mold for the meatloaf. I would turn the meatloaf pan upside down onto a broiler pan, remove the loaf pan, and bake it in a 350F oven for 1 hour. The broiler pan allows the fat and grease from the meat to drain away so the meatloaf doesn't boil in it.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:49 AM   #16
Head Chef

Ya know, I forogt that I have transferred all my recipes to my work computer, just in case I need to make a shopping list before I go home. Here is my low carb, low fat, meatloaf recipe.

LOW CARB/LOW FAT MEAT LOAF

1 pound ground beef
1 pound ground turkey breast
1 cup oatmeal
˝ onion, diced
˝ bell pepper, diced
2 celery stalks, sliced
2 garlic cloves, pressed
˝ cup egg substitute
1 Tbs oregano
˝ cup tomato sauce
1 Tbs olive oil

Sauté onion, bell pepper, and celery in olive oil until soft. Add garlic and continue to sauté until onions are transparent. Add tomato sauce and simmer on low heat for 30 minutes or more. Put egg substitute in a large bowl, add ground beef, ground turkey breast, and oregano to bowl and mix thoroughly. Add the cooled sauce to the bowl and combine. Pat tightly into a loaf pan, then invert onto a broiler pan and remove the loaf pan. Bake in 375F oven for 1 hour. Makes 8 servings.

Total protein per serving – 17.0g
Total carbs per serving – 3.5g
Total fat per serving – 9.0g
Old 05-02-2007, 01:14 PM   #17
Head Chef

I have ground beef and ground pork that I'll be using. I am replacing the sausage it calls for in the recipe with the ground pork.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:18 PM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by legend_018
I have ground beef and ground pork that I'll be using. I am replacing the sausage it calls for in the recipe with the ground pork.
You do realize that the sausage has herbs and spices in it that you're not gonna get with plain ground pork, right?
Old 05-02-2007, 04:34 PM   #19
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine
You do realize that the sausage has herbs and spices in it that you're not gonna get with plain ground pork, right?
Yes, I'm hoping extra bacon and cut pepporini will make up for it.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:39 PM   #20
Head Chef

Got any fennel seeds? Pork sausage almost always contains fennel seeds.

Tags
None