"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 05-02-2007, 07:34 AM   #1
Head Chef

ISO Meatloaf adventure help

Do you see anything that doesn't look right with the recipe below? Any suggestions?

I already make a pretty decent meatloaf. Usually just (ground beef, onion, bbq sauce, sometimes ketchup, eggs, breadcrumbs, garlic, and spices) for the most part. You can't really go wrong.

However, There is this butcher place that makes and sells meatloaf. They have these white things all over the meatloaf that my DH loves. I called them last night and found out it was Hoffman's Cheddar Cheese.

I also found this recipe on the internet. I was thinking about trying it. Anything sound strange about it? I think I might at least add swirls of bbq on the top. I never only used 1/4 cup of dry bread crumbs. Usually it needs more to hold together. hmmmm. I did see another meatloaf topic that I did glance through. It has something like 15 pages to it.

Recipe

1 Egg; beaten
1/4 c Dry bread crumbs
3 sl Bacon cut in 1/4" pieces
1 sm Chopped onion
2 oz Cubed cheddar
1/2 ts Seasoned salt
1/2 ts Pepper
1 1/2 Lean ground beef
1/2 lb Bulk pork sausage

Preheat oven to 450.

Combine. Form into loaf and bake until no pink
remains.

Old 05-02-2007, 07:39 AM   #2
Sous Chef

other than the heat being a little high (I cook mine at 350 F), the recipe looks doable. Looks like there will be lots of grease to pour off with the pork sausage and the bacon.

Old 05-02-2007, 07:41 AM   #3
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Sounds good to me, I would give it a chance, you could always make changes the next time.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:50 AM   #4
Senior Cook

The only thing I notice is that when I make meatloaf I use 1 1/2 cups bread crumbs when using 2 lbs of ground beef. It really helps it stay together and not be so greasy. Maybe you could up the amount of bread crumbs.

Tip* put slices of bread on the bottom of your pan and then top with the meatloaf, then cook. This really helps in soaking up the grease.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:37 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
I agree with cjs, 450F seems rather high. At least cover the meatloaf so the exterior won't get dried out, just taking it off at the end to get it browned.

I would use a bit of spice, nutmeg, mace or ginger instead of salt. sausage and bacon will give enough salt to the meatloaf already.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:42 AM   #6
Head Chef

I'm not making this until Friday, but I went to the market a few minutes ago. I decided to use ground turkey instead of the sausage. But, I will still use the bacon. I got the hoffmans cheddar at the deli. I forgot to ask for it whole and she sliced it. oh well.

Old 05-02-2007, 08:49 AM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

You'll be giving up a lot of flavor by eliminating the sausage.

Also, I don't see any veggies in there. I'd include some chopped garlic in addition to the listed onion. Also, consider some green pepper and mushrooms.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:03 AM   #8
Head Chef

Im thinking about using some extra bacon instead.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:23 AM   #9
Sous Chef

It's your recipe now! Change the bits you don't fancy ( as you are planning to do) and leave the bits you do. What a good idea to put bread on the bottom first. I usually put grated carrot in mine as well as the onion and garlic. (DH doesn't like peppers) and some parsley ..fresh if you have it, dry if you don't. Oh and the nutmeg as has already been suggested.
Do post and let us know what you thought of it.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:43 AM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

I use a loaf pan to shape the meatloaf then turn it out onto a foil covered rack in a cookie sheet. All the fat runs off and you get a nice crispy crust on 5 of the 6 sides.

Tags
None