ISO Meatloaf Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeff G.

Head Chef
I cook a lot of things but one thing has me stumped - I need a good no fooling Meatloaf recipe. I have tried to make it the way my mom makes it--never works.

Come on--hit me with a great recipe!

Last edited by a moderator:
Whoa, Jeff. I have a separate section in my recipe file just for meatloaf. I'll have to look into my cards and see what you might like. I even make meatloaf in my crock-pot. Give me a day or so and I'll either post here or email some recipes for you.

Use turkey or beef. I don't measure - just go by feel.

Mozzarella-Spinach Stuffed Loaf

1 1/2 - 2 lbs pounds ground turkey or beef
1 10-oz pkg frozen chopped spinach, thawed, squeezed dry
1/2 cup minced onion
1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1-2 eggs, beaten
salt and ground black pepper, to taste
4 ounces fresh mozzarella, cubed (shredded mozzarella works too)
A dash of chili powder - optional

Mix above ingreds together & bake for 45 min to 1 hour in preheated 375 oven. Let stand about 10 mins & serve.

Topping
2 tablespoons ketchup
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard

Combine above and spread over loaf. If you have some marinara hanging around - pour a little over the loaf instead.

Last edited:
On PBS TV called Americas kitchen they had a whole show about meat loaf. there version is rather detailed but I made it and it was fantastic worth all of the fuss. I think I have it on file if I do I will post it just for you. I just checked. I don't have it. So
Sorry

jeff, i don't have a recipe, just a tip.

we started using an onion called a new york bold in our meatloafs, New York Bold Onions , and it makes all of the difference in the world.

the onion gives it great flavor while retaining it's texture.

I have been using Betty Crocker's recipe for years: Savory Meat Loaf Recipe from Betty Crocker

The only thing is I never use lean ground beef, always ground chuck or ground round. DH once brought home some ground sirloin for meatloaf and it was very tight and dry.

After baking, I take it out of the oven and pour off the drippings so they don't redistribute in the meat. It stays nice and juicy but not too fatty. I just keep enough of the drippings to make gravy with. HTH.

Wait, wait, come a little bit closer, so I could hit you harder.

In all the truth i do not make meatloaf either. Just doesn't taste good without pork.

Wait, wait, come a little bit closer, so I could hit you harder.

In all the truth i do not make meatloaf either. Just doesn't taste good without pork.

That reminds me - I forgot to mention, I use what my grocery store calls "meatloaf mix" - 1 pound of ground beef and 1/2 pound ground pork. It definitely improves the flavor.

I'm gonna give you 2 proven meatloaf recipes. Both make wonderful meatloaf. But they are completely different recipes. First, my world famous Mexican Volcano Meatloaf:

Mexican Volcano:
Ingredients:
1 lb. ground beef
1/2 lb. bulk Chorizo (or Italian sausage)
1 tbs. chili powder
1/2 tbs. cayenne pepper
1/4 cup chopped fresh Jalapeno peppers
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup ketchup
3/4 cup enchilada sauce, or salsa
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup Balderson 2 year old Medium Cheddar Cheese
1 large egg
Preheat the oven to 375'‑ F. Remove the Chorizo from its
casing. Mix together the ground beef, Chorizo, chili powder, cayenne pepper, jalapeno peppers, egg, Balderson Cheddar, and bread crumbs. Knead together until well mixed. Lightly grease a 12" square casserole dish and place the meat mixture into it.
Shape the mixture into a volcanic mountain with valleys and
cliffs. Show off your hidden artistic talents. Create a crater in the top suitable for about a 1/4 cup of sauce. Place the “volcano” into the oven, with a meat thermometer inserted to the center.
Cook for 45 minutes. Check the thermometer. When the
internal temperature reaches 175'‑ F., remove from the oven.
Pour the sauce into the crater, making sure that rivulets of
sauce run down the mountain sides. Place strands of Mozzarella
cheese shreds onto the rivulets and in the crater to mimic the
glowing hot lava. Place in the oven until the cheese melts
slightly. Remove from the oven and place onto a serving
platter. Slice into eight equal wedges and serve with little
men made from toothpicks and Vienna sausage and toothpicks
(half covered by lava). Make trees with Broccoli to finish the
hapless village. Your kids will love it, and your guests will

gasp with delight. (Omit the little men if you want. That
might be a bit much).

Meatloaf #2:
That's Good Stuff! Meatloaf
1/2 lb. Ground Chuck
1 lb. Itallian Sausage
1 large egg
1/4 cup whole milk
1/4 cup rolled oats (oatmeal) or whole wheat bread-crumbs)
1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. dried sweet basil
1/2 tsp. granulated garllic powder.

Combine all ingredients. Place in a loaf pan with a meat thermometer placed to the center. Bake at 375' F. until the thermometer reads 165. Remove and let rest for 10 minutes. Remove from the loaf pan and serve with noodles, rice, or smashed spuds.

Hope you like these recipes. They will, if nothing else, add variety to your home menu.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed or the North

I cook a lot of things but one thing has me stumped - I need a good no fooling Meatloaf recipe. I have tried to make it the way my mom makes it--never works.

Come on--hit me with a great recipe!

There are probably a gazillion "recipes" for meatloaf. I change it out every time. Can you give us an idea of what your Mom's ML was like/included, and what part did not work.

Last edited:
There are probably a gazillion "recipes" for meatloaf. I change it out every time. Can you give us an idea of what your Mom's ML was like/included, and what part did not work. BTW, try my TNT recipe, you'll be glad you did. ;)

Flavor just is a bit off(ketchup, Worcestershire, onion balance) , consistency isn't there. It usually doesn't hold together or it splits open when baking.

Everything else I cook turns out great... this one just doesn't work for me.

The volcano meatloaf sounds good. Not regular meatloaf by any means, although I doubt I sculpt it.

Paula Deen Barbeque Meat Loaf Recipe

1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1 cup fresh bread crumbs
1 onion, diced
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 (8-ounce) cans tomato sauce
3 tablespoons vinegar
3 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup water, to thin sauce if necessary

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Mix together the beef, bread crumbs, onion, egg, salt, pepper, and 1/2 cup of the tomato sauce. Form this mixture into a loaf and place it in a shallow pan. Stir together the remaining tomato sauce, vinegar, sugar, mustard, Worcestershire and the water (if too thick). Pour this sauce over the meatloaf. Bake for 1 hour, basting every 15 minutes with the pan juices.

Cook's Note: Try serving as a sandwich with mayonnaise.

1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1 cup fresh bread crumbs
1 onion, diced
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 (8-ounce) cans tomato sauce
3 tablespoons vinegar
3 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup water, to thin sauce if necessary

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Mix together the beef, bread crumbs, onion, egg, salt, pepper, and 1/2 cup of the tomato sauce. Form this mixture into a loaf and place it in a shallow pan. Stir together the remaining tomato sauce, vinegar, sugar, mustard, Worcestershire and the water (if too thick). Pour this sauce over the meatloaf. Bake for 1 hour, basting every 15 minutes with the pan juices.

Cook's Note: Try serving as a sandwich with mayonnaise.

that sounds about right... I think I'll give this one a go too...

LOW CARB/LOW FAT MEAT LOAF

1 pound ground beef
1 pound ground turkey breast
1 cup oatmeal
½ onion, diced
½ bell pepper, diced
2 celery stalks, sliced
2 garlic cloves, pressed
2 eggs
1 Tbs oregano
½ cup tomato sauce
1 Tbs olive oil

Sauté onion, bell pepper, and celery in olive oil until soft. Add garlic and continue to sauté until onions are transparent. Add tomato sauce, simmer on low heat for 30 minutes, and allow to cool. Whisk eggs in a large bowl. Add ground beef, ground turkey breast, and oregano to bowl, mix thoroughly, then add cooled sauce and combine. Pat tightly into Pyrex loaf pan with a paper towel in bottom. Bake in 375F oven for 1 hour. Makes 8 servings.

Total protein per serving – 17.0g
Total carbs per serving – 3.5g
Total fat per serving – 9.0g

That reminds me - I forgot to mention, I use what my grocery store calls "meatloaf mix" - 1 pound of ground beef and 1/2 pound ground pork. It definitely improves the flavor.

I agree with the concept of mixed ground meat as the most important ingredient of a great meatloaf. Try a mix of beef, pork and veal if you can find it. Then it's a simple process of mixing the egg, milk, bread crumbs, minced onion, poultry seasoning, mustard powder, and a tad minced garlic. Put it in the pan then spread some ketchup on top and bake.

I have been using Betty Crocker's recipe for years: Savory Meat Loaf Recipe from Betty Crocker

The only thing is I never use lean ground beef, always ground chuck or ground round. DH once brought home some ground sirloin for meatloaf and it was very tight and dry.

After baking, I take it out of the oven and pour off the drippings so they don't redistribute in the meat. It stays nice and juicy but not too fatty. I just keep enough of the drippings to make gravy with. HTH.

That is the same recipe both my mother and my mother-in-law used, and it can't be beat. I love it.

lemon lovers meatloaf

will have to hunt this one up, then will post it. it is made into a circle and cook in micro wave. only takes twenty min.

stand by , will look for tomorrow.

babe

Back
Top Bottom