ISO Name for Spanish Meat dish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stu

Assistant Cook
Hi, I'm new here so I'll just barge right in with a question. Heh heh.

I'm trying to identify a Spanish meat dish that I really know nothing about. I'm just looking for the name right now.

I'm fairly sure it's a beef dish, but the trick is that the way the meat is prepared it runs afoul of US FDA standards and therefore can not be shipped to the states or prepared here, or something like that.

I know this is vague, but I thought I'd take a chance. Like I said, I'm just looking for the name, which as I recall is a one word title about 5-7 letters long. Any guesses?

You might be referring to Iberian Ham or Jamón Iberico. I know that is the hot thing among foodies. Very $$ and supposedly delicious ham. I think I got a solicitation to buy some recently, but it looked like it would require me to take out a second mortgage.

Before now, no slaughterhouse in Spain was certified by the USDA. Spain had had an outbreak of some swine disease and the USDA wanted to make sure that it didn't migrate here.

Also, most bone-in ham in Spain is hoof-attached which I guess is a no-no here.

But now you can legally import Jamón Iberico to the US from certified producers.

I could be wrong, but I thought no beef was allowed to be imported from Spain because of BSE (mad cow)??

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom