"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 06-18-2013, 09:53 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

It's hard for me to say anything without knowing what type of steak you are talking about, but regardless of the cut, why not skip the marinade and make some sort of pan sauce?

Old 06-18-2013, 09:59 AM   #12
Assistant Cook

Thank you for all the ideas. I am cooking a tenderloin. I have cooked it in a frying pan with some s&p a little garlic soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce cooked it for about 5 mins per side (depending on how thick cuz hubby like his still mooing lol) and pulled it off the stove poured left over sauce from pan over top of the steak and let it rest then serve. I have also cooked it in the broiler with just a lil s&p rub and have also tried baking it in foil with s&p garlic butter onions Worcestershire, have also cooked in frying pan wit just plain old fashion s&p and have also in frying pan with bbq sauce. Don't have a grill anymore ours broke and looking for a good new one.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:06 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Something like a white or cheese sauce would be different then. I like to make a white sauce and add some crumbled blue cheese and asparagus to it. That can jazz up an otherwise run of the mill steak. Or even a sunny side up egg on top. Let the yolk be the sauce. IMO, any sauce or marinade that uses Worcestershire sauce comes out pretty much tasting like Worcestershire sauce, no matter the method. If you break away from that the steak will come out tasting differently just on its own.
And you could pick up a grill pan. I've seen some nice steaks here cooked on a grill pan on the stove.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:20 AM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommas3boys View Post
Thank you for all the ideas. I am cooking a tenderloin. I have cooked it in a frying pan with some s&p a little garlic soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce cooked it for about 5 mins per side (depending on how thick cuz hubby like his still mooing lol) and pulled it off the stove poured left over sauce from pan over top of the steak and let it rest then serve. I have also cooked it in the broiler with just a lil s&p rub and have also tried baking it in foil with s&p garlic butter onions Worcestershire, have also cooked in frying pan wit just plain old fashion s&p and have also in frying pan with bbq sauce. Don't have a grill anymore ours broke and looking for a good new one.

Tenderloins need to be cooked with dry heat so dont but one of those in a crock pot.

Try just uisng salt and pepper and maybe some garlic powder.

As its resting, cook up some sliced button mushrooms in your pan with a little butter. Add some low-sodium beef broth and scrape up alll the brown bits on the bottom of the pan and dissolve them into the broth. maybe add a drop or 2 of Worcestershire sauce since you like that. Reduce the sauce down some and serve.

Or you could sear with just some salt and pepper and top with a compound butter, with is butter to whuch you have added interesting flavors using garlic or herbs and the like. Its real simple.

Here are some recipes: compound butter recipes - Google Search

The blue cheese chive one is very tasty
Old 06-18-2013, 11:23 AM   #15
Wine Guy

A couple of weeks ago I made these open faced beef tenderloin sandwiches for a party.

Open-Face Beef Tenderloin Sandwiches Recipe | Key Ingredient

They were a big hit, and could easily be adapted for larger meal-size portions.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:12 PM   #16
Sous Chef

I have made this recipe before and it's good

http://icuban.com/food/churrasco_cubano.html

Must make the chimichurri also as that is what makes it so special.

You don't have to use an outdoor grill. I just use a very hot cast iron pan
Old 06-18-2013, 04:48 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

Thank you so much for all the great sounding Ideas everyone is giving me you are all a great deal of help with new ideas and new twist to different new flavors..
Old 06-18-2013, 05:27 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Another thing you could do if you aren't already is change up the sides. I usually cook the same thing with my steak; garlic bread, broccoli or green beans and a baked potato. Every once in a while I make some gnocchi with marinara or some kind of pasta with alfredo sauce to replace the potato because they also compliment a steak dinner well.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:26 PM   #19
Head Chef

Are you looking for a "new" way to cook a steak or just a new recipe?
Old 06-18-2013, 08:19 PM   #20
Master Chef

Slice a pocket down one side of the tenderloin. Fill with savory bread dressing, or duxcelles, or a crab-meat stuffing.

Or, have you ever made tournedos. Very tasty. The tournado is a small, round steak cut from the end of the tenderloin. It is usually pan-fried in a little oil, and often wrapped around the outside in bacon or cull fat. When It is seasoned with salt & pepper, and often topped with foie gras, or truffles. But for my paycheck, that would be chicken liver pate', or drilled portabelo mushroom caps.

Another great way to serve steak is to top it with a compound butter, or something like Sauce Bercy. Then, there's always Steak Diane. All of these are found easily by doing a Google search.

Tip, cheap steak cuts, such as round steak, skirt steak, and such, is great when grilled to no more than rare, then diced, and pan fried with small dice onion, orange, red, and yellow bell pepper, a chopped jalapeno, Cilantro, and lime juice to make Carne Asada filling for tacos, and burritos. It's one of my favorite ways to use inexpensive steak cuts.

Hope that helps.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
recipe, steak

ISO - New Ways To Cook Steak My boys (ages 2, 4, 9) want steak for dinner tomorrow and had said they love the many different ways I have made steak but was wondering since I am trying new recipes if I could find a new one for steak tomorrow and see if it is another keeper. So I have been looking for a new marinade for my steak for tomorrow night. A small easy 4-6 hour marinade or even a 4-6 hour crockpot recipe. If anyone can help me find one that would be great. Thank you in advance. :chef::smile: 3 stars 1 reviews