"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef
Old 06-30-2008, 10:50 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
ISO Oven baked brisket info

hello ...just joined here.....need advice on cooking time for 12 lb brisket in oven

garydeedeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 10:59 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Hi gary,

I removed your other thread because it will be confusing to keep up with both. Just thought I'd let you know.

Not sure exactly how long but I can tell you it needs to reach an internal temp of 190/200 range or so. It could take as long as 8 to 10 hours (or longer) low and slow i.e., 225 degrees F.

I wish I could help more but I'll have to a bit of research on the time.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 04:15 PM   #3
Senior Cook
If you're planning on doing stuff like it on a regular basis (or just love cool kitchen gadgets) get a probe thermometer that you can leave in the meat that has a lead that runs out of the oven to the readout. I got a cheap one from Wally World for less than $20, and it works great.

The advantages to this are that you can check the internal temp of large pieces of meat without opening the oven or making a bunch of holes in your meat... And most of them have an alarm you can set for a specific temperature, which is great if you are doing something else at the same time...
Into the fires of forever, we will fly through the heavens, With the power of the universe we stand strong together
Through the forcing of power, we will soon reach the hour, For victory we ride, Fury of the Storm!
VaporTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 05:02 PM   #4
Executive Chef
I do big cuts of beef like that fairly often for work. I generally trim off most but not all of the visible fat first. Apply a generous rub at least the night before, but up to 48 hours is fine.

Set the oven to 300. Put a bottle of wine or the equivalent of stock into a roasting pan, then the meat and any juices that accumulated in the pan you kept it in. I would put this in the oven at 6am....and it would be ready for service by 10:30-11am. Let it stand about 20 minutes before you carve it. My oven is convection, by the way.
How can we sleep while our beds are burning???
VeraBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 06:11 PM   #5
Master Chef
Wow, I'm doing a brisket in the oven now as I type this.... but it is only 4 lbs! Anyhow, I'm sure you will get good advice here. I don't know much about cooking large quantities of food. Actually quite the opposite... I try to cook just for two!
sattie is offline   Reply With Quote