ISO oven-roasted beef brisket recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I happen to be cooking a "corned beef brisket right now. I am simmering it on top of the stove and then after a couple if hours it's going into the oven to roast.
I did this around St. Patricks Day. It was moist and tender and the best "corned beef I have ever eaten. I should like to try a brisket (non-brined) but have seldom seen the cut locally. ?

At our grocery they offer the flat as brisket. The point muscle is what is in those pre-brined, corned beef packages. I have to go to Penn Dutch Meats to get a whole brisket, aka whole packer. Which is only available in cryovac packages there. Most are 15# or more.

Around here, cryovac packages of corned beef come in two types - flat cut and point cut.

I've made my own corned beef with a whole packer but didn't care for the seasoning blend I used.

However, I'm surprised no one has mentioned smoking a brisket.

Craig mentioned smoking a corned beef to get pastrami, by you are right Andy re: smoking a brisket, I bet someone will come along sooner or later to discuss that. ;)

I am aware of what corned beef is.

But Carol stated she has never seen any meat in her area labeled "Brisket". She was inquiring what to look for as in "shape" to know what a brisket looked like. My answer was "corned beef". Most often corned beef is either the point or flat end of a brisket. Any piece of beef can be pickled or placed in a brine. But why waste a perfectly good piece of beef when you have the brisket to use. Should a person decide not to use a corned beef but wants a fresh cut of brisket, then it makes for a perfect pot roast. Either on top of the stove or in the oven. :angel:

Well, no ;) She said she hadn't seen it in her local supermarket but had seen it at Walmart. And she didn't say anything about the shape. In any case, brisket =/ corned beef.

I happen to be cooking a "corned beef brisket right now. I am simmering it on top of the stove and then after a couple if hours it's going into the oven to roast.
I did this around St. Patricks Day. It was moist and tender and the best "corned beef I have ever eaten. I should like to try a brisket (non-brined) but have seldom seen the cut locally. ��

I know my butcher cuts up his briskets for stew meat. You have to ask for one. My butcher will call me when he get one in which is about a day or two. Non-brined, they make for a great beef stew cut up. :angel:

The OP was not asking about smoking brisket. So, I didn't mention it.;)

In the local supermarket I see raw cuts of meat labeled "corned beef." Is that the same thing I am seeing in Walmart labeled "Beef Brisket?"

So if I have a recipe that called for brisket and I buy the one labeled "corned beef" it would be the right thing? I don't want it to be like corned beef and cabbage. I want it to be like a roast.

I don't know if I'm explaining myself correctly.

In the local supermarket I see raw cuts of meat labeled "corned beef." Is that the same thing I am seeing in Walmart labeled "Beef Brisket?"

So if I have a recipe that called for brisket and I buy the one labeled "corned beef" it would be the right thing? I don't want it to be like corned beef and cabbage. I want it to be like a roast.

I don't know if I'm explaining myself correctly.

If you're not sure, ask someone in the meat department. If brisket is cured, it won't look like raw beef.

What you are seeing is "corned beef" as in corned beef and cabbage. Ask someone in the meat department for plain brisket. And you want the flat end. If they don't have it, ask when will they have it. You don't want "corned beef"! You just want the flat end of a brisket. It should be no problem as a lot of people get just the plain brisket and corn it themselves at home. They should have it. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom