"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 05-24-2014, 10:25 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Smile ISO oven-roasted beef brisket recipe

I am looking for a killer recipe for oven
roasted beef brisket.
any ideas out there?

Old 05-25-2014, 05:39 AM   #2
Sous Chef

I usually pot- roast Brisket of beef to ensure utmost tenderness. What I do is season the joint all over with fresh ground pepper, salt, a shake of curry powder ( trust me) and then lay it in a baking dish on a bed of sliced onions, fresh or dried herbs, and sliced carrots. Add stock to about half way up the sides of your joint and put on lid or cover tightly with foil. Cook at 160-170c for 20mins per pound plus 20mins extra for good measure. You can turn it over half way if you want. When you can put a knife through easily, remove joint, cover and rest in warm place. Strain the liquid and thicken with all-purpose flour to make gravy. This is my way but I'm sure you will have other suggestions. Enjoy!

Life is like good wine.......best taken with friends x
menumaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 11:59 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by menumaker View Post
I usually pot- roast Brisket of beef to ensure utmost tenderness. What I do is season the joint all over with fresh ground pepper, salt, a shake of curry powder ( trust me) and then lay it in a baking dish on a bed of sliced onions, fresh or dried herbs, and sliced carrots. Add stock to about half way up the sides of your joint and put on lid or cover tightly with foil. Cook at 160-170c for 20mins per pound plus 20mins extra for good measure. You can turn it over half way if you want. When you can put a knife through easily, remove joint, cover and rest in warm place. Strain the liquid and thicken with all-purpose flour to make gravy. This is my way but I'm sure you will have other suggestions. Enjoy!
that sounds just sooooo goooood
thx for the info
Old 05-25-2014, 04:17 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

I too make a brisket on top of the stove as a pot roast. Brisket needs looong cooking time to become tender or braising. Braising is the quickest and the most likely to tenderize the meat. By the time you roast it to the point that it is tender enough to eat, it has shrunk to almost nothing and is very dry. No moisture left. Go with the braising on top of the stove.
Old 05-25-2014, 04:50 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I too make a brisket on top of the stove as a pot roast. Brisket needs looong cooking time to become tender or braising. Braising is the quickest and the most likely to tenderize the meat. By the time you roast it to the point that it is tender enough to eat, it has shrunk to almost nothing and is very dry. No moisture left. Go with the braising on top of the stove.
Addie, menumaker's oven method is in a tightly covered pan with liquid so it is also braising. I always do my pot roasts in the oven. Set it and forget it.
Old 05-25-2014, 04:53 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Addie, menumaker's oven method is in a tightly covered pan with liquid so it is also braising. I always do my pot roasts in the oven. Set it and forget it.
I too have done an oven pot roast. The question was for an oven ROASTED brisket. Roasted is a bad idea.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:55 PM   #7
Master Chef

Season (whatever seasoning you like) the brisket and leave in the fridge overnight. In the morning preheat the oven to 220 deg., put the brisket in the baking dish, add what you like. I like mushrooms, maybe baby carrots, small roasting type potato, etc. add liquid of your choice, beef broth, chicken broth, wine, or mixture of the above. It really depends on your taste buds, add what you like. Cover tightly. Put in the oven go to work. Come home, pull out the dish out of the oven, let it seat for 10 minutes, serve. Enjoy.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:02 AM   #8
Executive Chef

What are you calling a brisket, full packer, flat or point muscle section?
Old 05-26-2014, 09:01 AM   #9
Master Chef

Brisket us part right behind the front leg of the cow, on the bottom.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Discuss Cooking mobile app
Old 05-26-2014, 10:52 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Brisket us part right behind the front leg of the cow, on the bottom.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Discuss Cooking mobile app
Good one CharlieD. I was asking what part of the brisket or are they doing the whole brisket.

Tags
beef, brisket, other, recipe

ISO oven-roasted beef brisket recipe I am looking for a killer recipe for oven roasted beef brisket. any ideas out there? 3 stars 1 reviews