ISO Porterhouse steak information

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

legend_018

Head Chef
Actually these questions could go with any steaks. I was reading some information in an older topic about broiling. There are references to different racks in the broiler. Or there was a reference to middle slot of the broiler. Our broiler is down on the bottom of oven and our oven came with a broiler pan. The broiler pan has to sections to it. The bottom half collects the juices. It's not the biggest pan in the world. There really isn't any "trying" different racks or making sure it's 1 inch or 2 inch close to the heat ect. Does this sound normal? It's like a draw that you open down on the bottom.

Also: They say that steak continues to cook when you take it out right? Are you suppose to leave it on the broiler pan and let it continue cooking or you take it out and put it on a plate? I'm guessing plate because it should would continue cooking leaving it on the broiler pan.

thanks!!!
I'm making porterhouse steaks tonight. I stink at the touch method and just trying to learn more about cooking steaks.

Legon 018...

The type of stove you describe with the broiler underneath, and in a "drawer" should have slots on the side of the "drawer' where the broiler pan can be slid in at two or three levels. I would suggest the middle setting for your purpose.

You are correct in guessing that the instructions you read refer to "carry over" cooking of the steaks after being removed from the heat to a serving platter or cutting board etc. The internal temperature of the steaks will climb an addtional 5+ or so degrees. Also during this "resting" stage(5 to 10 minutes) the juices in meat will redistibute throughout the steaks making them juicy and yummy!!
Hope this helps a bit!

Legend, i've tried the broiler route for home cooked steaks, and honestly, i switched it up and got much better results. I've worked diligently to try and get the best steaks, and for me, it has come a different way.

get a nice heavy pan, stainless steel or cast iron, and heat it up to MEDIUM HIGH, but let it get screaming hot, leave it on there for awhile

then sear the meat for 2-3 minutes each side, then transfer the hot pan to a 450 oven to finish the steaks(if they are thick)

that is a very basic technique and you can of course adjust the cooking times depending on the meat, but my best steaks come out that way.

for a 2" thick filet mignon i sear for 3 minutes on each side than transfer to the oven for like 7 minutes for medium rare.

cheers.

also, yah, your steak will continue cooking once it's done...so i would take it out of the pan, and wrap it up in foil, so all of your juices settle back into the meat..don't cut into a screaming hot steak, it will practically deflate, all the juices will just pour out all over the plate. disaster.

If you don't want to dirty another plate or platter, you can just remove the broiler pan to the countertop when the steaks ar done. You don't have to remove them from the broiler pan. The broiler pan will not retain enough heat to continue the cooking process, it will just be residual heat in the meat.

I've started cooking steaks the other way around from MyLeg. This month's Cook's Illustrated showed a technique that has produced some excellent steaks. Heat the oven to 200. Salt both sides of your steak, and place in a baking pan. Stick it in the oven for about 25-30 minutes, or until the steak reaches about 100 degrees internal temp. Remove the steak from the pan. It is going to look gray and not at all attractive... that's ok. Place in a hot skillet, and sear on each side about 2-3 minutes. The result is a tender, juicy steak, with very little gray banding around perfectly medium rare steak. This procedure does several things. Typical steak preparation methods leave a thick band of chewy gray meat around the edges, maybe as much as a 1/4" all the way around. By bringing the steak to temp first, you minimize that banding, while tenderizing the meat in the mean time. The enzymes in the steak will begin to naturally tenderize the meat as it rests between 80 and 100 degrees. Don't get it much hotter than that. Once it passes 120, the tenderizing stops completely. I've used this tecnique with porterhouses and sirloins so far, and no complaints, except dirtying up another pan.

I just purchased a stainless steel gas barbeque grill, 480 square inches of porcelain-coated cast iron cooking grate under which you will find 4 burners producing 48,000 BTU, acompanied by a side burner producing 13,000 BTU, with a 170 square inch griddle that fits over the top. Great for bacon and eggs on lazy Saturday mornings.

I live in California, at the beach, where the year around temperature is between 40F and 80F, and my condo has a covered balcony for those rare occasions when it rains. I do not believe I will be ruining any steaks in a frying pan or in the oven, thank you very much.

Caine said:
...I do not believe I will be ruining any steaks in a frying pan or in the oven, thank you very much.

Neither will I. I've learned to cook a great steak both indoors and outdoors.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom