ISO Prime Rib Info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trent

Assistant Cook
Theres a resturant I go to on Tuesdays because they have a noon buffet thats always the same thing, " Roast Beef to Die For " . And it is. The beef is so juicy and moist and theres trays of it, How the heck do they do it ? You'd think they would almost have to boil it to be that moist.

Any help from you wonderful chefs would be appreaciated. :rolleyes:

I am not expert in cooking prime rib ... but don't boil it. Boiling it with actually dry it out and make it tough.

I have only roasted prime rib and it's come out fine but not :ROFLMAO:

3-4 pounds isn't very big. It's almost a very thick steak!

Salt and pepper the exterior and sear it in a very hot pan on both sides. Pop it into a 400F oven and roast until a thermometer registers to 130-135 for medium-rare. Take it out of the pan and cover it with foil and let it rest for 10 minutes. The internal temperature should continue to rise for another 5-10 degrees and give you a tasty roast.

While it's resting, you can make a quick pan sauce from the drippings...

One of my instructors taught us this technique. It takes a little longer but it's worth it I think. The meat will come out very tender and moist.

1. Pre-heat oven to 300 degrees
2. Season with salt and pepper, pan sear or grill on high until slightly charred
3. Let the meat rest for about 5-10 minutes.
4. Cook in the oven until desired doneness
5. Remove from oven and let rest again for about 5-10 minutes

Welcome to DC, Trent.

I adore prime rib. It is one of my favorites. I'm always amazed, when I go to Vegas, to see how many dishes, meat etc, are turned out over time and at one time - even at an all-you-can eat buffet. Lawry's was another, where dish after dish of prime rib was served. I honestly don't know how they do it. If you liked the food, you might try to thank the chef, and ask him/her about the recipe/cooking method. People that love what they do, love talking to people who have the same interests. Let us know your results. :)

The first time I cooked a prime rib, I was scared to death. I imagined every possible way I could ruin it..So, I grabbed my The Way to Cook by Julia Child and followed her instructions, my Pprime rib turned out just perfect. I always follow her recipe now and have never had a roast we didn't like. With an expensive cut like this, it's better to be safe than sorry.

kadesma:)

Trent, love a standing rib roast. Unfortunately we cannot find prime about here. Usually go with the Black Angus that we can get at the local grocery and is very tender and tasty.

Coat with salt and pepper, maybe a bit of garlic, or Montreal steak seasoning.

We do not sear anymore.

And cook until very rare. There is nothing better and we do it once or twice a year, usually at Christmas.

And then make French onion soup out of the leavings.

But there are other cuts that restaurants make that are tasty and relatively tender.

We go to a racetrack two or three times a year, and they have a buffet, no menus there.

It costs about $20 apiece and is nice, but am not a fan of buffets.

But they do serve beef, sliced as you watch, and it is something called a steamship round.

How they cook a round to be so tender, I have no idea.

But my guess is that if you see slices of of beef on a buffet table for lunch, it is probably not prime rib.

But I have been wrong many times before.

Enjoy the rib roast and God bless.

I've never had a roast turn out badly with this method. Weigh your roast. 20 minutes per pound in the oven. Turn your oven to 400 for the first 15 minutes and then down to 350 for the rest of the time. Let it rest while you make gravy from the drippings and enjoy.

I got this prime rib recipe years ago - this comes out great every time, its fool proof, just need the time to cook it. I usually make this during the holidays.

Preheat oven to 425
Let rib roast rest on the counter while oven heats up.
Take Lowreys seasoning salt and rub all over the roast. Add fresh cracked pepper. Spray a rack with Pam spray. Place roast on the rack and into a large baking pan. Place about 1/2 c water in the bottom of the pan.
Roast in the oven for 45 minutes.
Turn oven off and leave roast in the oven for another 3 hours - do NOT open oven door. After 3 hours, use a meat thermometer to check the roast. You need the meat to be at 140 for medium rare. If the roast isn't at the desired temperature, turn the oven back on to 350 and recheck the meat temp over 20 minutes.

Remove from oven and tent with foil. Let rest 15 minutes and then carve it.

I buy a prime rib and I have my butcher remove the rib bones but tie them back onto the roast (adds alot of flavor). Very easy to carve this way too.

The best prime rib I have tasted was smoked for some 10 hours or so. No wood, just standard charcoal.

I've not personally tried cooking prime rib myself. Will some day. :chef:

I love to do a herb crusted prime rib.

1c Kosher Salt
1/2 c Cracked Black Pepper
2T Oregano
2T Fresh Rosemary
1/3c fresh minced garlic
1 T Crushed Red Pepper
6 strips Bacon

Take all spices, mix together, and crust the prime. Lay strips of bacon, spread evenly over herb crust.

roast at 325, until rare to medium rare. 120-135

prime rib roast

My family loves prime rib, we cooks ours pretty much the same method
as Alix but the rub and the first 15 mins we have the oven set to
450 very hot sears all the juices in. Start with a room temp roast.

The rub we go with is 1 part table salt 1 part sugar, black pepper and
garlic powder to taste. The sugar and the salt carmelize together and
create a wonderful flavor. The only down fall to this is the drippings maybe
a bit sweet not good for gravy. We do not make gravy we go with
horseradish cream sauce. This is our favorite method.
I have tried rubbing with ground horseradish root and mustard, it was
good but we prefer the other.

I do want to try to smoke one, maybe I will try that for Easter.

Oh another tip either line your roasting pad or buy a disposable pad
the surgar will burn a bit in the first 15 high heat mins and is a bear
to clean.

Last edited:
RMS said:
Making my first prime rib for Easter. I'm going to try Alix's recipe. It seems easy enough. Wish me luck!

LUCK! You'll be fine RMS. And rickell...mmmmmmmmm that sounds yummy!

My roast came out perfect! The family was impressed!
Thank you to all for the cooking help and advice!
I just have to learn the cutting technique. (looked a little messy but tasted wonderful)
You guys are great!

If it is a lunch place and they have trays of slices I would bet good money it isn't prime rib--or any other rib roast. I would bet it is sirloin tip that they slice on a slicer.

I can almost smell it from here, RMS.

Erik, your method sounds interesting.
I've never tried to cook prime rib, but I have a friend makes one that is outstanding. She stuffs garlic cloves in the ends, gives it a sprinkle of coarse black pepper, then puts on a bed of coarse salt in a baking pan, the packs the whole thing in about an inch of salt. She then puts it in a 350 oven for about one hour.
After it comes out of the oven and stands for a bit, she breaks off the salt and slices thin. The salt seals in the juices, but, surprisingly, doesn't make the meat too salty. The meat is delicious and so tender it melts in your mouth.
My husband usually buys a whole boneless prime rib when he finds them and slices into steaks. Next time, I'll have him cut a roast, and give it a try. I think I'll combine Eriks seasoning technique with my friends salt pack.

I've worked a ton of buffets...had to endure the legions during easter buffet on the omelete station, and I've carved plenty of prime rib. the way to achieve the perfect professional prime rib is with an alto-sham, a hot-holding box that is usually used for keeping plates warm.

With variable temperatures up to 220, you can actually throw a prime rib into it (it takes up the entire space) and set it to 160, and let it slow roast for 24 hours. This is, of course, after lifting the fat cap and seasoning the entire thing. On occasion we would wrap the entire thing in bacon, pancetta, tasso, caul fat or stuff it with whole sausage.

Anyway, after you season the sucker and set it on a pile of mirepoix in the alto-sham overnight, the meat has cooked all the way through but is a perfect bright pink throughout. 15 minutes in a 450 convection builds a nice crispy crust and the meat...it's like sex.

boiled beef isn't what i'd choose! i'd season it, roast it, baste it, let it rest for 15 or 20, then carve. those roasts are rather easy. delicious, too!

Back
Top Bottom