"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef
Old 04-10-2008, 08:57 AM   #21
Assistant Cook
I cook 2 - 3 rib roasts a month. It is my favorite meat. I buy mine at BJ's and I have had terrific success getting beautifully marbled roasts there.
I rub it with garlic, salt ane pepper and sear it off on the stove top on all sides. Then I cook it slowly @ 275 degrees until the center registers 125 degrees (I like it med rare), pull it out and let rest for 10-15 minutes and voila!
The reason for the low tem is to allow the roast to cook evenly. It comes out pink all the way from the outside to the center. I hate cooking them at high temps, end up with well done around the edge and a pink circle in the center.
Try this way, you will not be dissapointed.

Maik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 10:46 AM   #22
Head Chef
I can't remember where i got this information, but it says that this technique will cook the rib perfect everytime. I have only tried it once, but it did come out perfect. In fact I read this post just after getting back from the store with a prime rib that I planned on fixing tonight. I put a rub on mine just because the boyfriend likes a lot of flavor.

rub (should be consistency of a scrub)
2t. dijon
1 T. salt
1 T. sugar
garlic powder
drizzle of olive oil
apply on room temperature roast

Cooking technique:
Turn oven to 500 or highest setting. Take the total pound of roast and multiply by 5 to get the timeing (for example you have a 2lb. roast you cook it for 10 minutes) Then turn oven off and let it it for 2 hours. Don't open door- roast is still cooking. This will come out a perfect medium rare.

Go Sooners
abjcooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 03:48 PM   #23
Head Chef
FYI-Came out a perfect medium-rare again, but rub was way too salty. it wasn't last time I used it, I must have written it down wrong. I will definiely continue this cooking technique just change the rub or use salt and pepper only.

Go Sooners
abjcooking is offline   Reply With Quote