"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 03-15-2008, 05:10 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Question ISO Prime Rib/Standing Rib Roast ideas

OK, so I'm feeling ambitious this Easter. I need to cook for only 10 adults and about 5ish kids. This is for Wifey's side of the family. Traditionally my side would roast or grill a leg of lamb but her side isn't really into lamb. We ALWAYS have ham at nearly every family get together. Personally, I've cooked my last ham for a very long time I love ham but I'm just tired of cooking it all the bloody time!

Anyway, even though the meal will be at mt BIL's house I'm still charged with cooking the main dish. I'll also be holding a small and very informal cooking class for the ladies in the family that aren't as ambitious as I am in the kitchen. I haven't cooked very many Prime Rib roasts. Maybe 2 or 3. It's just too expensive to cook for more than 4 but impossible to get a perfect medium rare with a roast small enough for 2. Now I have 10 people and I'm gonna splurge!

So there are many different ways to cook a rib roast. I've always wanted to try a salt dome but I don't know if you can obtain a good crust / sear with a salt dome. I thought about a rotisserie buy BIL doesn't have one. BIL said to pre-cut and grill & serve Cowboy steaks but I'm not liking that idea. The flavor just isn't the same as an in-tact rib roast.

So... For all who'se reading... Give me your best ideas... Please!!! I know I'm gonna have to take out a second mortgage to pay for choice roasts. My primary objectives are taste (of course) and presentation. I kinda thought about plating two ginormous piles of salt and offering a mallet to a few diners. Tell them to crack the salt open and see what's inside. Too messy??? Too ambitious??? Not smart at all??? Mallets + beer & wine = a trip to the hospital for stitches and a concussion??? Let me have it. The good; the bad; and the fantastic!!!!

Old 03-15-2008, 05:38 PM   #2
Head Chef

having cooked a couple .. personally for the money i will
take a beef tenderloin over prime rib ..

Old 03-15-2008, 05:56 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2"Q" View Post
having cooked a couple .. personally for the money i will
take a beef tenderloin over prime rib ..
Truthfully, for my own taste, I have never had a tenderloin taste as good as a bone-in prime rib. That's not to say it can't be done. I just haven't ever had one.
Old 03-15-2008, 06:42 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

We love prime rib..we do it very simply,rub with evoo, then salt and pepper..roast to desired doneness..There is nothing so good as a prime rib you don't need a lot of fussing with it..If you wish it to be fancy, add some nice sauteed mushrooms and a good horseradish sauce and au jus..the meat should stand on it's own..

kadesma
Old 03-15-2008, 07:56 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
We love prime rib..we do it very simply,rub with evoo, then salt and pepper..roast to desired doneness..There is nothing so good as a prime rib you don't need a lot of fussing with it..If you wish it to be fancy, add some nice sauteed mushrooms and a good horseradish sauce and au jus..the meat should stand on it's own..

kadesma
Exactly....Buy the best piece of meat you can....And don't mess it up!!!
A 325*F oven seems to work best for me.....

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 08:11 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Yea, time & temp are always a struggle for me the first few attempts. Also, since I'll be using my BIL's oven the temp will be different I'm sure. Plus, he's using propane from a tank outside and I'm on CNG from the city.

I've had some people tell me to put a good salt rub on the roast the day before to draw out some water then pat it dry with paper towel & re-season to recipe. Any thoughts on that??
Old 03-15-2008, 08:12 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Also, bone-in or bone out?? I think I'd prefer bone-in and present it at the table whole then cut out individual rib prime.
Old 03-15-2008, 08:21 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Home Chef, you can read here as to what I do for standing rib roast.

This is really a very simple recipe. You can skip the dry aging and it will still produce a wonderful rib roast.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:38 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

Foolproof Roast Every Time

Standing Rib Roast

1 Ea Standing Rib Roast
TT Salt and Black Pepper
1/4 C Flour

Preheat the oven to 500 F.

Just before putting the roast into the oven, rub it with salt, pepper, and flour.

The timing of the cooking is based upon the number of ribs and the degree of doneness you want. Multiply the number of ribs by 12 minutes for rare, 13 minutes for medium rare, and 14 for medium. For example, if you have a 4 rib roast and want it to be medium rare, you would calculate 4x13=52 minutes.

Place the roast into the 500 F oven and cook it for the prescribed time.

DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN DOOR ONCE YOU PUT IN THE ROAST.

After the calculated cooking time, shut off the oven and don't open the OVEN door.

Leave the roast in the oven for at least and hour and a half (and up to three hours. There will be no change in the degree of doneness).
Do not open the oven door during this time.

After the 90-180 minutes, remove the roast and cover it with foil and let it rest for 30 minutes before carving.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:42 PM   #10
Everymom

I don't think you need to season a good rib roast with anything but S&P. Don't mess with it too much. 1/2 hour per pound at 325 or 350 will get you a perfect medium rare. On a very large roast you also have the advantage of pleasing everyone because it will be done well or medium well on the outside and fairly rare on the inside. Get bone in. Theres a carnivore in every crowd that likes to gnaw on the bones.

Tags
None