ISO recipe for Swedish meatballs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Welcome to DC! Sorry I can't be of any assistance as I have never made them, but stick around, I'm sure someone will have a recipe or ten to offer you. Keep on checking in!

I am having a party on Saturday, all the food was ordered except everyone thought someone else did the meatballs, so i said i would make them.........UGH what's wrong with me.........now i have to find a good receipe. THANKS

I'm workin on one, I'm on the phone at the same time.... DH is chatty today sorry.

I once reasearched Swedish meatballs to find there are many, many variants, The key is serving them with a fruit jelly. You could just make your usual meatball recipe.

Alright hopefully everyone will leave me alone a minute now!!!
These are my Dad's, I think from Joy of Cooking?

1/2 lb. each, ground beef, pork and turkey. (He uses liver instead of turkey but I wont do it)
Soak a 1 inch slice of good bread in milk, squeeze out
2 beaten eggs
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 TB butter
3 TB parsely
1 tsp salt
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp nutmeg
pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients, shape into golf-ball size balls and bake at 350 30-40 min. (I do it on the broiler pan so they dont sit in grease)

For gravy
5 cups beef broth
2 tsp dill
a little more lemon juice to taste

Bring to boil, drop in meatballs and simmer in broth mix about 15 min. Remove meatballs, and for each cup of remaining broth, make a roux of 2 TB butter & 2 TB flour. Gradually add broth back into roux, simmer until thickened. (I have an extra can of broth around just in case it gets too thick on me.)

Add 1/2 cup sour cream to gravy, add meatballs back in. Heat gently so you don't curdle the cream.

I like 'em, hopefully you will too!

If you wanted to you could make the meatballs, bake them, then cool and freeze them so that part is done and you dont have to do it the day of the party. Then al you would have to do is boil them and make the gravy.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom