"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 06-08-2007, 09:16 AM   #1
Head Chef

ISO Roast beef advice

ok, I asked my DH what he wanted for dinner on dads day. He said Roast Beef. I never made this before. I have some questions. I will also be having my dad, his dad and mom and possibly my brother and a few others. It will either be 6 people all together or 8 people all together.

1. How big of Roast Beef do I get?
2. WHat kind do I get?
3. Is the butcher the best place to get a good Roast Beef?
4. How do I cook it?
5. What should the temperature be when it's done?

I've made different kinds of beef roasts, but never Roast Beef.

I'm sure I have more questions, but I think that's it for now. I really want this to turn out special and not floppy.

Old 06-08-2007, 09:35 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

The standard serving is a half pound per person. I'd get a little more than that, maybe 5-6 pounds.

A standing rib roast is always a big hit. Other good choices are Tenderloin roast (expensive).

Not necessarily. Many markets carry good meats. Insist on choice grade not select.

Put it on a rack in a roasting pan and put it in a 400F oven.

The internal temperature will vary based on how well-done you want it. Here's a chart:

Doneness

Temperature

Rare 127º F

Medium Rare 135º - 140º F

Medium 141º - 145º F

Medium Well 146º - 150º F

Well Done 150+

Old 06-08-2007, 09:51 AM   #3
Head Chef

I called one butcher so far and one super Market. Here are the results. prices are estimates

J&B Butcher
$6.99/lb top sirloin is there most popular
$11.99/lb boneless primerib is there 2nd popular

Hannaford Grocery
$9.49 or $9.99/lb black angus Prime Rib Roast. Most popular
$8.99/lb Choice Rib Eye
Old 06-08-2007, 09:59 AM   #4
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Just curious, is this the type your Dad is talking about ? When you said roast beef I always think of beef roast, w/potatoes and carrots. Rather than a standing rib- (Prime Rib) ,as you are talking about. I'd make sure before you go through that expense. Unless he already has.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:15 AM   #5
Head Chef

Dh is the one who said it. Yes he's talking about the more expensive cuts of roast beef that you have on like Christmas for example. We have lower cut/less expensive roasts in crock pots and in oven through out the year. He isn't referring to those. Those real roast beef dinners you have at restaurants, weddings, holidays ect.

One of the local butchers said there most popular was there top sirloin rost beef at $6.99/lb
Old 06-08-2007, 10:25 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Legend,
for my family, when we want special we do a boneless prime rib..The very first one I did, I followed instructions from a Julia Child cookbook.It was wonderful..I do it that way all the time now and it always turns out great.I know it's a more expensive piece of meat, but even if you end up with leftovers, they make a mean meat and potatoe pie or sliced into small pieces, put into gravy and poured over some bread open faced...Good luck, I'm sure everyone will be happy to help you along on your Fathers day meal.

kadesma
Old 06-08-2007, 10:48 AM   #7
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Wink

Kadesma, could you post how you make your prime rib? I make one once a year at New Years, want to see if it is much difference than I do. Thanks ! Barb
Old 06-08-2007, 11:39 AM   #8
Cook

I would also get a boneless ribeye for ease of cooking and serving. For 8 people, I'd get at least 6#. There is a good bit of shrinkage but it is very flavorful.
Rub with a rub, if you want or just coat with some salt and coarse pepper. Put in a 500* oven for 15 minutes and then reduce the temp to 350* for about 45 minutes. Then test for doneness with an instant read thermometer inserted horizontally. Look at the chart above for the degree you want. Remember to let rest at least 20-30 minutes or you will lose much of the juices of the meat.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:43 AM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma
Legend,
for my family, when we want special we do a boneless prime rib..The very first one I did, I followed instructions from a Julia Child cookbook.It was wonderful..I do it that way all the time now and it always turns out great.I know it's a more expensive piece of meat, but even if you end up with leftovers, they make a mean meat and potatoe pie or sliced into small pieces, put into gravy and poured over some bread open faced...Good luck, I'm sure everyone will be happy to help you along on your Fathers day meal.
kadesma
I would be interesting in finding out how Julia Child's method of cooking prime rib.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:08 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by legend_018
I would be interestinll g in finding out how Julia Child's method of cooking prime rib.
Will PM you the directions, this afternoon..Taking grandson to get new shoes

kadesma

Tags
None