ISO Sloppy Joe Sandwich recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

velochic

Sous Chef
ISO SCRATCH Sloppy Joe Sandwich recipe -nothing canned or bottled plz.

I'm looking for a sloppy joe recipe from scratch. I did a search and have found some interesting recipes. I just thought I'd pick the brains here.

I am really wanting to make this, but please, only scratch recipes. Nothing canned or bottled or processed or American name-brand ingredients. Fresh ingredients only, please.

Last edited:
Here's the one our church serves at their fall festival every year:

Christian Church Sloppy Joes

2 lbs ground beef
1 medium onion; chopped
2 cans chicken gumbo soup
3/4 cup catsup
2 tablespoon mustard
3 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

Brown hamburger and onion in a large saucepan. Add soup, ketchup, mustard and Worcestershire sauce. Simmer over medium heat until hot. Serve over hamburger buns

This is one that I make for my family.

1 pound of ground beef
1 onion, chopped
Brown the ground beef and onion together and drain.

Sauce;mix together;
1 cup catsup
2 tablespoons vinegar
3 teaspoons mustard
2 tablespoons sugar

Place all ingrecients together in a large pan and simmer for 1/2 hour.

As a child, I grew up with sloppy Joes made with browned ground beef, chopped onions, chopped green peppers, and minced garlic. To that mixture, a can of Campbell's Chicken Gumbo soup was added, along with some catsup and baby kack mustard. Don't know where the recipe came from, but we liked it and it was always what we had before going out to trick-or-treat on Halloween. We loved it.

That chicken gumbo soup recipe really brings back memories. It must have been de rigeur in the sixties and seventies!!
You might look on the net for a Maid Rite recipe--that is a good "sloppy joe"!

Thanks for the replies - they give me more ideas. Though, actually, I'm looking for a recipe from scratch that doesn't use any canned foods.

Joanne, your recipe comes really close to the one I downloaded from the net, except that one included chili powder.

Anyone use chili powder in theirs?

For the mustard... what kind of mustard? Dijon? Hot? Stone ground? We have about a million different kinds of mustard (which all are used for specific purposes. :rolleyes:)

velochic said:
Thanks for the replies - they give me more ideas. Though, actually, I'm looking for a recipe from scratch that doesn't use any canned foods.

Joanne, your recipe comes really close to the one I downloaded from the net, except that one included chili powder.

Anyone use chili powder in theirs?

For the mustard... what kind of mustard? Dijon? Hot? Stone ground? We have about a million different kinds of mustard (which all are used for specific purposes. :rolleyes:)

For the mustard I use just a plain yellow mustard, either Krafts or Frenche's. Hope this helps. JoAnn:)

Last edited:
Sloppy Joe

2 pounds ground sirloin or chuck
brown in large frying pan
cut,slice,chop one onion
chop one green pepper
chop one glove garlic

add one large can chopped or crushed tomatoes
salt pepper simmer 1/2 hour

add small bottle oven pit barbecue sauce

simmer uncovered 2 hours or until it thickens

velochic, this recipe calls for ketchup so I do not know if you can use it, but here goes;

1 T. butter

1 lb. gr. meat
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 medium green pepper, chopped

3/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup water
1 T. sugar
2 T. prepared mustard, any kind would work!
1 T. vinegar
s&p to taste

In a skillet, over med high heat, melt butter and brown meat, onion and green pepper. Add all the remaining ingredients. Simmer 15 minutes. Serve on buns

bethzaring said:
velochic, this recipe calls for ketchup so I do not know if you can use it, but here goes;

1 T. butter

1 lb. gr. meat
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 medium green pepper, chopped

3/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup water
1 T. sugar
2 T. prepared mustard, any kind would work!
1 T. vinegar
s&p to taste

In a skillet, over med high heat, melt butter and brown meat, onion and green pepper. Add all the remaining ingredients. Simmer 15 minutes. Serve on buns

YES! Thank you. Ketchup is fine. That we have and do eat. This looks good. I'll give it a try.

Turnkey Sloppy Joes

Easy Turkey Sloppy Joes
1 1/2 lb Ground turkey
1/2 c Catsup
1 md Onion, diced
2 tb Dijon mustard
1/2 ts Seasoning salt
1/4 ts Garlic powder
Non stick spray
4 Large hamburger rolls or rolls of your choice, split
Either use a non-stick skillet or spray a skillet with non-stick spray. Add ground
turkey and onion, and cook until meat is no longer pink.
Add other ingredients, and simmer until thickened to your choosing.
Serve as you would sloppy joes, on split rolls.

http://www.gofreerecipes.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the one from my cookbook. It has been very well received by those who tried it. Only, making your own sauce from fresh tomatoes is time consuming. So I'd say to use ready made sauce, unless you already have some of your own bottled.:)

Excerpt from the Book "You Can Be A Great Cook With Beef" Written by me, used with permission by me.

Sloppy Joe's
"...with a little imagination, you can
create almost any recipe you desire. And remember, if you make
your own, you can tailor it to your tastes.
This is the original "meal in a pan". As an example of the
"tailor it to your taste" principle, my wife's idea of Sloppy
Joe Sauce is completely different from mine. But hers is
really good, and exceptionally easy to make. However, this is
my book so your going to get my sauce. After you get the idea,
you can make your own, modified to fit your family's tastes.
You can even use the store-bought stuff if you like it. I won't
tell.
Ingredients:
1-4 oz. can tomato paste
1-6 oz can Tomato Sauce

1-12 oz. can dark red kidney beans (You can rehydrate dried kidney beans if you want to make this recipe a "From Scratch" recipe)
1/2 clove minced garlic
1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
3 heaping tbs... chopped green pepper
1/4 cup dark brown sugar (for Diabetics, substitute an equal
amount of Splenda brand sweetener and a tsp. of molasses)
1 tsp. Chili Powder
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 tbs. Worcestershire Sauce
1 bay leaf
2 tbs. olive oil
1 lb. ground beef

Place ground beef into a 12 inch covered frying pan and place over medium heat. While the pan is warming, add the olive oil to a 1 quart sauce pan and apply medium heat. Add the garlic,
onion, and bay leaf to the oil and saute until the onion turns
translucent. Add the remaining ingredients, stir until well
blended, cover and turn down heat to simmer.
Lift the lid from the ground beef and break up the meat into
bite sized chunks. Lightly salt the meat, stir, and cover.
Check the meat and stir the sauce every five minutes until the
meat is cooked through.
Drain the meat into a suitable bowl and place the juice in the refrigerator for later use. Combine the meat and sauce and serve over hamburger buns."
Author: Robert J. Flowers

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

JoAnn..when you said sugar in your recipe..do you mean white sugar or brown sugar? I was thinking you meant brown sugar..but..not sure.

I developed these not too long ago & really liked them. Did you do a search on this site for "Sloppy Joe's"? Because I know my recipe wasn't/isn't the only one here.

breezy Sloppy Joes

Dollop or two of olive oil

1 medium onion, finely chopped (I used a Vidalia)

1/2 bell pepper, finely chopped, any color (I used a red one)

1 celery stalk, finely chopped

3-4 garlic cloves, chopped

Italian Seasoning & Crushed Red Pepper Flakes to taste.

1 Package (1 to 1-1/3 pounds) ground turkey

1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce

1/4 cup spicy ketchup (or ¼ cup ketchup with 1-2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce added)

1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

4 hamburger buns, split and toasted

1. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell pepper, celery. Cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables are softened, but not browned. Add garlic & stir for a minute or two.

2. Add ground turkey to skillet. Cook, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, until it is no longer pink. Add dried Italian Seasoning & Crushed Red Pepper flakes to taste (about a teaspoon each to start).

3. Stir tomato sauce, spicy ketchup, and Worcestershire sauce into mixture in skillet. Simmer until thickened to taste, stirring occasionally.

4. Spoon onto buns, and serve immediately, topped with cole slaw if desired.

Last edited:
I usually just brown some ground beef and stir in my Sicilian grandmother's famous homemade spaghetti sauce. I call them Sloppy Giuseppes. My kids always liked them better than the commercial barbeque sauce version.

My birth mother, who wasn't a very imaginative cook, had a recipe for sloppy joes we ate as children.

It consisted of browned ground beef with chopped onions, a can of chicken gumbo soup (undiluted), a couple of tablespoons ketchup, and a couple of tablespoons baby cack mustard. Heat up and put on buns.

Growing up, we thought these were great sloppy joes.

Here's mine:

1 small onion

1 tablespoon chopped pickled hot or sweet peppers

3 cloves garlic

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 teaspoon smoked paprika

1/2 teaspoon cumin

1/2 teaspoon chili powder

1/2 teaspoon dry yellow mustard

11/4 pounds ground beef (not lean)

1/2 cup ketchup

11/2 cups tomato purée

1 tablespoons cider vinegar

Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

4 hamburger buns

1. In a food processor, combine onion, hot or sweet peppers, and garlic. Pulse until very finely minced. Set aside.

2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion mixture; sauté for about 4 minutes. Add paprika, cumin, chili powder and mustard powder. Stir well; saute another 4 minutes, or until onions are very soft.

3. Add beef; sauté, breaking up clumps with a spoon, just until meat is browned, about 5 minutes.

4. Meanwhile, in a large measuring cup, whisk together ketchup, tomato purée and vinegar. Add to meat, bring to a simmer, then lower heat to medium and cook, uncovered, 10 minutes, or until slightly thickened.

5. Season sloppy joes with salt and pepper. Arrange each bun on a serving plate, then spoon a quarter of the sloppy joes into each. Serve with pickles.

Back
Top Bottom