ISO stuffed cabbage recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jayde

Assistant Cook
I saw Sandra on Semi-Homemade make a stuffed cabbage recipe and it looked really good. I was wondering if anyone had a recipe of their own or has tried this recipe yet.

Wanting to try it some time this week...

There are many varieties depending on national origin and one's own likes. I do mine with a middle eastern taste, using beef and lamb, bulgar for the grain additive, sweet spices like cinnamon, allspice, cardamon and coriander for the flavors, and a garlic tomato sauce zipped with a bit of red pepper. A wonderful Polish stuffed cabbage would be quite different but equally satisfying. Search out the recipes that sound good to you.

We are making the cabbage soup recipe I found on here sometime this week, which is a viable alternative if the idea of making a filling and wrapping it up in cabbage leaves seems a little daunting... LOL.

Let me know how the soup comes out, Maverick. I might have to try that one too!

Thanks for you input. I usually just cook what I know and don't venture out much. Trying to get out of my comfort zone...one of my new years resolutions

Hungarian Stuffed Cabbage

1 pound ground beef
1 pound ground pork
2 rings smoked kielbasa - 1 ring chopped small for filling, 1 ring sliced into rounds for layers.
1 lg. onion - chopped fine
3 lg. cloves garlic - chopped fine
2 Tbls. Hungarian paprika - or to taste
1 Tbls. Dry parsley
1 Tbls. salt
1 Tbls. Ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. MSG (optional)
2 lg. cans Sacramento tomato juice
2 lg. bags sauerkraut, save juice
2 lg. heads cabbage

Par cooked rice - ¾ c. rice, 1 c. water and 1/2 tsp. salt - mix together, bring to boil. Turn off, cover and let sit while you prep the rest.

Bring a pot of salted water to a boil.

Core head of cabbage, place in boiling water and ladle water into core. BE VERY CAREFUL! Remove leaves as they separate and plunge into large bowl of ice and water. Save small center leaves. Drain leaves and remove center ribs from leaves. Chop ribs and small center leaves.

Make layers: Layer some of the sauerkraut, then a layer of chopped cabbage ribs and leaves and then a layer of sliced kielbasa rounds in bottom of lg. Dutch oven (or 2). (if you have any filling left over from the leaves layer it with the kraut and kielbasa layers)

Mix beef, pork, spices, 1 ring kielbasa (chopped small), onion, garlic and rice (save any liquid). Mix well.

Lightly pack a small handful of the meat mixture and place in the center of a cabbage leaf. Fold top part of leaf over mixture, then fold in the sides and roll until mixture is completely encased. Lay rolls on top of sauerkraut and sliced kielbasa layers in pot. Repeat the layers and rolls till pot is almost full. Ending with a kielbasa layer. Fill pot with the kraut juice and tomato juice (and any rice liquid).

Cover pot and simmer 1 - 1 ½ hours or until filling is completely cooked. Add more tomato juice if needed.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom