ISO the best Rib-Eye Steak Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

-Cp

Cook
Anyone?

My wife likes it w/ just "salt and pepper", served medium-rare and topped with Crimini Mushrooms (sauteed in butter and garlic) - but I'm looking for a way to kick it up a few notches...

Anyone?

My wife likes it w/ just "salt and pepper", served medium-rare and topped with Crimini Mushrooms (sauteed in butter and garlic) - but I'm looking for a way to kick it up a few notches...

do you have a blackening season recipe?

marinate the steak in garlic olive oil, sweet red wine or dark rum, and one super finely diced chipotle pepper for about 30 min.

let the steak get to room temp.

apply the blackening seasoning (light)... and sear-roast it; 3 min per side and about 2-3 min in a pre-heated oven.

do you have a blackening season recipe?

Nope, I don't.....

Oh.. and I ALWAYS let my meats get to room temp before cooking them :)

And I'll let a steak like this rest about 10min under a foil-tent before eating too :)

Last edited:
Yep I think your wife is right on too.

But if you are looking for something a little more then this rub recipe is the best I have ever had. Put it on the meat 24 hours before cooking if you can. I have put it on seconds before I put the meat on the grill and that works well too, but it works better with some time.

2 parts fresh ground black pepper
2 parts lemon pepper
2 parts cayenne pepper
2 parts chili powder
2 parts dry mustard
2 parts light brown sugar
1 part tsp garlic powder
Pinch of cinnamon
Pinch of salt

A great steak begins with the selection process in the meat market!!
Spend 98% of your time honing your skills there!
The other 2% on methods, marinades, and other musings.

The rules are simple! Buy a great piece of meat and don't mess it up! Then...

Have Fun & Enjoy!!

Last edited:
A great steak begins with the selection process in the meat market!!
Spend 98% of your time honing your skills there!
The other 2% on methods, marinades, and other musings.

The rules are simple! Buy a great piece of meat and don't mess it up! Then...

Have Fun & Enjoy!!

We are a HUGE advocate of folks getting to know their local butcher shops.

I'd post the one we go to here but alas this board has the "link police" in full force... :(

Anywho.. we get our meats from a local butcher who's now a friend of the familiy and I"d even eat the hamburger he sells raw - that's how much we trust him and the best-of-class products he sells..

We actually ended up moving about 45min away from him a few years ago but still go to him because his products are far superior to any of the shops that are more local to us now.

I'd post the one we go to here but alas this board has the "link police" in full force... :(
Nope, just people looking out for the best interest of the site and it's members.

As you were told in a PM, just ask next time you want to post a link. I think you were even told it would not take long.

Cp said:
We are a HUGE advocate of folks getting to know their local butcher shops

...And learn from them!

Never under estimate what a bottle of wine or a platter of brownies will do for you!! I am very close to my personal butcher of choice, and regardless of what my wife says it has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that she is a very attractive young lady!!:ermm:

Fun!

I know what you mean about knowing you butcher! I use a local guy (husband and wife team actually) that raise only grain-fed beef. They take pride in purely organic methods and avoid all chemicals. They cost a little more than a major chain would, but there is a very noticeable difference in the beef from a butcher (even in the ground beef!) over a packaged piece. Not to say that packaged store beef isn’t good, but if you’ve never gone to a butcher, then try it at least once as it does actually make a difference (and I know you do use a butcher -CP, but I say this for others that may be reading).

You know......I don’t use fresh herbs much at all (not much of a gardener)….but now that I have typed this post out….it makes sense that fresh herbs over dried herbs would make a difference. Hmmmm………..

Anyway, as for steaks, I agree with everyone else, a great cut to start with is where it is at. Some S&P is the best steak once you have a great cut. Maybe rub it with a clove of garlic before the salt and pepper. If you eat steak a lot (only about once a week or every 8-10 days for us), then I can see wanting to spice it up.

GB’s rub looks really good, and I’ve personally tried an alcohol based (whisky) marinade that was good. Another member here recently used an alcohol marinade that she said was great. Maybe she’ll drop in and post it. I’ve lost the recipe for mine….but I know I used a Canadian imported whisky since my step-dad, a Canadian, said it was the best on earth and he had several bottles on hand – no, he’s not biased at all! . :LOL:

Last edited:
The only other think I'd do besides cook it to MR with S+P, is that sometimes I like to marinate mine. I've only done this a couple of times, and have had excellent results on every occasion. Marinate your steaks in extra virgin olive oil, fresh garlic ( i minced mine but I imagine crushed would work just as well), and cracked peppercorns. I use enough olive oil to cover the steaks in a shallow container, and quite a bit of garlic and pepper, and I let them soak for 3-4 days. They will take on different color as a result of the oil after some time, but don't worry, this does not mean they have gone bad.

When you're ready to cook them, just season as you normally would with S+P, and away you go. Oh, and I would go with some cheap EVOO, as I use about 20 oz. of the stuff for the marinade, and I don't imagine it would be very safe to use that olive oil for anything.

...And learn from them!

Never under estimate what a bottle of wine or a platter of brownies will do for you!! I am very close to my personal butcher of choice, and regardless of what my wife says it has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that she is a very attractive young lady!!:ermm:

LOL! :ROFLMAO:

But of course not. Nothing at all. Not a thing. Nada. Zero. Goose Egg. I'm with you......:LOL:

...And learn from them!

Fun!

You're assuming I don't? :)

I agree - a Great steak and a great bottle of wine is nothing short of heaven on Earth...

One thing you could try and it is very simple, either for a rib-eye or a tenderloin, put a dollop of boursin cheese on the steak after it comes off the grill or pan or whatever cooking method you choose. It adds an exotic flavor without over powering the steak or taking alot of extra effort on your part.

Mr CP I will give you my formula for the seasoning I used for 45 years as a chef and restaurant owner it is a quanity formula but it keeps for ever.. I always use it on my steaks when ever I saute or grill, it is great on all forms of pork, and I have made sausqage out of it with out changing a thing so here goes.
3 pounds of Kosher salt
1 pound of sugar
1 ounce of cayenne pepper
1 ounce of celery salt
1 ounce of granulated garlic===Not no never garlic powder
1 ounce of Colemans dry mustard
1/2 pound of FRESH CRACKED BLACK PEPPER
crack yopur pepper in a spice mill till you have a medium-fine grind and mix very well put in a good tight jar and get ready for some good eats
it is good for most soups gravys, not good on Ice Cream or XXX

I know what you mean about knowing you butcher! I use a local guy (husband and wife team actually) that raise only grain-fed beef. They take pride in purely organic methods and avoid all chemicals. They cost a little more than a major chain would, but there is a very noticeable difference in the beef from a butcher (even in the ground beef!) over a packaged piece. Not to say that packaged store beef isn’t good, but if you’ve never gone to a butcher, then try it at least once as it does actually make a difference (and I know you do use a butcher -CP, but I say this for others that may be reading).

Not a fan at all of grain-fed beef - give me pasture/grass fed with a bit of grain in the last 30-days of the cow's life and that's what I'm talkin' about.. EVERYtime I've had grain-fed there is way too much fat (like in every bite) and the overall Beef taste isn't as strong...

I'll say that packaged store meat isn't good - I know as I ate it for the longest time till we found the butcher which I can't link cause of the link police (PM me if you live in WA state and want to know where to get the best beef this side of heaven).

Here's my thing; if the dude behind the counter can't tell you ANYTHING at all about the beef he's selling (i.e. where it's from, what the cow's diet was like etc etc) then I'm not buying it from that dude...

Local butchers have a vested interested far more than any big grocery store in making sure you're getting best-rate products and that they 're 100% safe. Big stores can afford to pay you off should you get sick from their meat, a small business would be out of business.

I'm a grass fed beef fan myself... I get mine from Burgundy Beef which is local to my area. For grass fed beef, I have found that simpler is better and that the use of fresh herbs/spices seems to be better suited for these cuts of beef.

Not a fan at all of grain-fed beef - give me pasture/grass fed with a bit of grain in the last 30-days of the cow's life and that's what I'm talkin' about.. EVERYtime I've had grain-fed there is way too much fat (like in every bite) and the overall Beef taste isn't as strong...

I'll say that packaged store meat isn't good - I know as I ate it for the longest time till we found the butcher which I can't link cause of the link police (PM me if you live in WA state and want to know where to get the best beef this side of heaven).

Here's my thing; if the dude behind the counter can't tell you ANYTHING at all about the beef he's selling (i.e. where it's from, what the cow's diet was like etc etc) then I'm not buying it from that dude...

Local butchers have a vested interested far more than any big grocery store in making sure you're getting best-rate products and that they 're 100% safe. Big stores can afford to pay you off should you get sick from their meat, a small business would be out of business.

Opinions vary, and that's what makes the world go round. My butcher raises the cows and steers from birth, directs the butchering and the processing/packaging. Some very fine meat. And grain fed in this case means grain is the diet they get when winter hits and the grass dies. Hay (months old dead and dried up grass) is a decent alternative, but he prefers the high nutrient concentrations of grain once the grass dries up on his pastures. Per pound, grain offers more than hay during the winter months. I’d imagine it’s obvious the cattle can’t (practically) eat fresh grass year round right? Seasons change.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom