"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 09-03-2008, 06:57 AM   #1
Master Chef

ISO The Perfect Meatloaf Recipe

Does anyone have any suggestions for a perfect meatloaf. I had a dear friend who past away back in 1989. She always made the most delicious meatloaf. Unfortunately she took the recipe to her grave. I have made so many awful meatloafs, the last one I threw in the trash (thank you Alton Brown). Let me describe it if I can...
It was a solid maetloaf, but not heavy. Had a slightly sweet taste to it. Oh so tender that it melted in your mouth. Please help!

Old 09-03-2008, 07:05 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
There are so many ways of making meatloafs, ingredients wise, and cooking method, too. For a cooking method I think I perfected it by now, I cook it first in a pressure cooker, it takes about 40 minutes for about 800-900g mass (2lb more or less). Then I pass it in the oven with high heat, or broil for about 5-10minutes, that achieves a meatloaf with crusty exterior and real moist and juicy interior.
For a slight sweet touch, adding shredded carrots to the mixture and a pinch of nutmeg or mace + ginger does the trick, from my experience...

Old 09-03-2008, 07:11 AM   #3
Head Chef

Today I put one in the crockpot. I have done this once before and it came out fine. It sure makes it easy on a workday.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:20 AM   #4
Certified Cake Maniac

I have had to really experiment with meatloaf because it is one of DH's and my favourites; however because we both have different forms of wheat/gluten intolerance I tried everything from cornstarch to corn flakes as a filler. I finally came up with no filler at all.

I take a pound of regular to lean beef and a pound of extra lean or ground sirloin. I mince onion very fine and add one egg, a small amount of ketchup or chili sauce, parmesan cheese, italian herbs, salt and pepper. That is it. I put it in a loaf pan, make a "trough" around the edges and cover with a mixture of ketchup, brown sugar and powdered mustard. Sorry about no quantities, I have a really hard time using them LOL! Oh, I bake it at 350 for about 1 - 1.5 hours. I have made this for church meals and potlucks and it seems to be a hit.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 07:32 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

We've had a couple of discussions about meatloaf:

HTH.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:00 PM   #6
Master Chef

Thanks Gang,
I'm going grocery shopping tommarow and will try something in the next couple of days.

elaine l : How long did you cook yours in the crock pot and was it set on low?
Old 09-03-2008, 12:56 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Well if you're going shopping, pick up the stuff to give this one a try. Melt In Your Mouth Meat Loaf Recipe It's killer. I've made it several times. I mix half and half burger and ground pork.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:03 PM   #8
Master Chef

Unfortunately there is absolutely no such thing as "the perfect meatloaf", because taste is an absolutely personal thing.

I have literally dozens & dozens of meatloaf recipes from around the world ingredient-wise that I enjoy making, but I bet any number of them wouldn't please dozens & dozens of people, & vice versa.

Frankly, any meatloaf that was "sweet" would definitely turn me right off. I prefer Mexican/Italian/Mediterranean twists to my meatloafs.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:08 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

I like meat loaf once every 18 months or so...I'm a huge fan
My experience/opinion is this...buy the absolute best meat you can afford,(grind it yourself if possible) and don't mess it up!!! Not counting Salt, pepper, or garlic, if the recipe has more than 4 or 5 ingredients you're messin up....turn the page, and look for another!!!!

Have Fun!!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 02:53 PM   #10
Master Chef

So, in other words Uncle Bob, you'd automatically write something like this right off your list?

BREEZY MEDITERRANEAN TURKEY MEATLOAF

Approx. -3/4 cup pitted Kalamata olives, roughly chopped
1 medium fresh tomato, cut into bite-size pieces – OR - 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, rehydrated dried or in oil, chopped
1 bunch or bag fresh spinach – OR - approx. a bag frozen chopped spinach
cup chopped onions
Approx. - cup crumbled feta cheese
One egg, beaten
One package (usually 1 to 1-1/3 pounds) ground turkey
1 cup quick or old fashioned rolled oats - uncooked
Approx. 1 tsp granulated garlic or garlic powder
Approx. 1 tsp dried oregano
Approx. 1/2 tsp dried Italian seasonings
Approx. 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 cup milk (any fat content) or &

1. Preheat oven to 400 F
2. In small skillet, cook spinach & onion over medium heat until spinach is wilted (or thawed) & onion is tender, but not browned.
3. Remove from heat & allow to cool slightly.
4. When spinach/onion mixture is cool, stir in feta cheese; set aside.
5. In a large bowl, combine beaten egg, turkey, oats, garlic powder, oregano, Italian seasonings, red pepper flakes, milk, chopped olives, and tomato. Mix lightly but thoroughly. (Your very clean hands are the best tool for this.)
6. Place 1/2 of turkey mixture into 9X6 loaf pan.
7. Layer on spinach/cheese mixture.
8. Top with remaining turkey mixture to completely cover spinach filling.
9. Bake 40-45 minutes or so, or until internal temp registers around 170 -180 degrees with a meat thermometer.
10. Let stand 5-10 minutes before slicing.

This recipe doubles nicely, which is handy since it also freezes very well. If doubling, free-form the loaf in a large ceramic loaf pan, baking dish, or rimmed baking sheet, as it won’t fit in a regular loaf pan.

Tags
None