ISO TNT Chinese Pepper Steak Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
For those who know me, Im still vegetarian ( I haven't switched teams).

When I was younger, I remember liking pepper steak.
I havent had it in decades since I've become a vegetarian.
I may have found a Meat substitute that can work in such a recipe.
So I'm willing to give it a try. I just need a good recipe to go by.

Thanks

larry

I've never had it, with or without meat, but would think the sauce would be key. You could probably sub veggie broth for beef broth, then use soy sauce, corn starch, ginger, garlic, a bit of sugar. Maybe some mushroom powder could add to the "beefiness."

Last edited:
Larry, here's the recipe I use. It tastes close to what we've had in Chinese restaurants. Hope you like it.

Chinese Pepper Steak

8 Oz Flank Steak
2 tsp Light Soy Sauce
2 tsp Dark Soy Sauce
[FONT=PC&#47749]½
Tb Cornstarch
1 Tb Chinese Rice Wine
[FONT=PC&#47749]¼[/FONT] tsp Salt
[FONT=PC&#47749]½[/FONT] tsp Sugar
2 tsp Peanut Oil[/FONT]
2 tsp Garlic (use a rasp grater)
2 tsp Ginger (use a rasp grater)

1 Tb Ketchup
1 Tb Hoi sin sauce
1+ tsp Chile Garlic Sauce (to taste)

4 tsp Peanut Oil, divided
1 tsp Salt
6-8 Ea Mushrooms, sliced
1 Ea Bell Pepper, ¼” strips
[FONT=PC&#47749]½ C Beef Broth[/FONT]
½ C Scallions, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 tsp Sesame Oil

Cut the steak with the grain into 1½ - 2-inch-wide strips. Cut each strip across grain into ¼ inch-thick slices.

Put the slices in a bowl with the soy sauce, cornstarch, rice wine, garlic, ginger, salt, sugar, and the oil and stir with a fork. Marinate, refrigerated, for 30 minutes and up to four hours.

Combine the ketchup, hoi sin, and chile garlic sauce in a small bowl and set it aside.

Heat the wok over high heat. Pour 2 teaspoons oil down the side of the wok, then swirl the oil, tilting the wok to coat the sides. Add the salt and bell pepper. Stir-fry to cook the pepper. Remove to a plate. Repeat with the mushrooms.

Pour the remaining 2 teaspoons of the oil down the side of the wok over high heat, then swirl the oil, tilting wok to coat sides.

Add the beef, spreading pieces in one layer on the bottom and sides as quickly as possible.

Cook undisturbed, letting beef begin to brown, for 1 minute, then stir-fry until meat is just browned on all sides but still pink in center, about 1 minute.

Deglaze the pan with some of the broth.

Add the cooked peppers, mushrooms, scallions and the ketchup mixture. Bring to a boil and stir-fry until well combined and heated through.

Adjust the thickness of the sauce with the remaining broth as needed.

Toss with the sesame oil then transfer to a platter.

I don't have a exact recipe I just do it but hope it helps. Amounts depends on how many cooking for.

beef sliced thin place in a bowl mixed with soy sauce and little cornstarch let set as you prepare the rest.

Large onion cut in 1/2 then cut both into slices, big glove of garlic minced.
Green bell pepper sliced

When all is prepared, heat your wok or cast iron pan till hot. add some peanut oil
add meat stir till all is brown remove and add green peppers stir around till soften then add onions and garlic stir till soften add meat back in and stir - then add beef broth saving a 1/2 cup to add some cornstarch to, to make a slurry. stir the meat & broth mixture and then add the slurry till thickens add more seasons to taste, soy sauce salt pepper. serve with rice.

portabella mushrooms sliced might make a good sub for the meat and vegetable stock

Larry, here's the recipe I use. It tastes close to what we've had in Chinese restaurants. Hope you like it.

Chinese Pepper Steak

8 Oz Flank Steak
2 tsp Light Soy Sauce
2 tsp Dark Soy Sauce
[FONT=PC&#47749]½
Tb Cornstarch
1 Tb Chinese Rice Wine
[FONT=PC&#47749]¼[/FONT] tsp Salt
[FONT=PC&#47749]½[/FONT] tsp Sugar
2 tsp Peanut Oil[/FONT]
2 tsp Garlic (use a rasp grater)
2 tsp Ginger (use a rasp grater)

1 Tb Ketchup
1 Tb Hoi sin sauce
1+ tsp Chile Garlic Sauce (to taste)

4 tsp Peanut Oil, divided
1 tsp Salt
6-8 Ea Mushrooms, sliced
1 Ea Bell Pepper, ¼” strips
[FONT=PC&#47749]½ C Beef Broth[/FONT]
½ C Scallions, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 tsp Sesame Oil

Cut the steak with the grain into 1½ - 2-inch-wide strips. Cut each strip across grain into ¼ inch-thick slices.

Put the slices in a bowl with the soy sauce, cornstarch, rice wine, garlic, ginger, salt, sugar, and the oil and stir with a fork. Marinate, refrigerated, for 30 minutes and up to four hours.

Combine the ketchup, hoi sin, and chile garlic sauce in a small bowl and set it aside.

Heat the wok over high heat. Pour 2 teaspoons oil down the side of the wok, then swirl the oil, tilting the wok to coat the sides. Add the salt and bell pepper. Stir-fry to cook the pepper. Remove to a plate. Repeat with the mushrooms.

Pour the remaining 2 teaspoons of the oil down the side of the wok over high heat, then swirl the oil, tilting wok to coat sides.

Add the beef, spreading pieces in one layer on the bottom and sides as quickly as possible.

Cook undisturbed, letting beef begin to brown, for 1 minute, then stir-fry until meat is just browned on all sides but still pink in center, about 1 minute.

Deglaze the pan with some of the broth.

Add the cooked peppers, mushrooms, scallions and the ketchup mixture. Bring to a boil and stir-fry until well combined and heated through.

Adjust the thickness of the sauce with the remaining broth as needed.

Toss with the sesame oil then transfer to a platter.

So I tried this recipe Andy, and it turned out excellent. Thanks a lot . I must say, I was a little nervous when adding the Ketchup, so I added half the amount at first, tasted then added the rest. In addition, I added some water chestnuts and baby corn. Definitely would make it again, and the crappy meat substitute was sufficient ( Not great, but edible).

So I tried this recipe Andy, and it turned out excellent. Thanks a lot . I must say, I was a little nervous when adding the Ketchup, so I added half the amount at first, tasted then added the rest. In addition, I added some water chestnuts and baby corn. Definitely would make it again, and the crappy meat substitute was sufficient ( Not great, but edible).

Glad you liked it, Larry. I add a variety of veggies beyond the green pepper. Sometimes mushrooms, sometimes onion.

Maybe it would be OK with some extra firm tofu in place of the "steak".

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom