"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 10-27-2005, 02:23 PM   #1
Executive Chef

ISO TNT Swedish Meatballs Recipe

Eons ago I bought a mix for Swedish meatballs that was quite good. It came with a packet of flavorings for the meat and the sauce. I'd like to find an original homemade recipe that's tried and true, not copied and pasted from another website. TIA

p.s. the flavors I remember and liked were a hint of cinnamin or nutmeg, parsley, red pepper flakes, and I think bread cubes that were soaked in milk and a sour cream sauce.

Old 10-27-2005, 03:00 PM   #2
Everymom

Well mish, mine is Norwegian meatballs, but I think you could adapt them if you like.

Norwegian Meatballs

1 pound ground beef
1 pound ground pork
1 egg
1 Tablespoon cornstarch
1 medium size onion (chopped super fine)
1/2 cup scalded milk
1 teaspoon each of salt, pepper, nutmeg, allspice and ginger

Beat egg slightly and add with milk and cornstarch with meat. Mix well. Add rest of ingredients. Mix thoroughly. Form into small balls. Brown in butter, simmer slowly until done adding a little water if necessary. When done, remove meatballs, add more butter, and add flour and brown. Then add enough water to make a medium-thick gravy. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add meatballs and gravy to a roaster. Bake with the lid on at 300 degrees for 1 hour.

I think red pepper flakes would add an interesting twist to this. Oh, and this is killer served with lefse.

Old 10-27-2005, 03:19 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Alix, thank you! I'm going to look up lefse, as I'm not familiar with the dish. I usually serve over broad egg noodles. Yummy, I'm hungry. Interesting (to me) about the Swedish Meatball mix I bought long ago - it was about 39 cents, and went way up -- about $2.50... just for a packaged mix. My guess is everyone else liked it as well. But, I'd much prefer making it from scratch. Another thought, bet some parsley flakes or chopped Italian flat leaf parsley would be good too. And the ginger is not an ingredient I had thought of. I must give that a try.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:47 PM   #4
Everymom

I'm sure there is a lefse recipe posted, but just in case there isn't just add some flour and either milk or water to leftover mashed potatoes and make a bit of a dough with it. Sort of runny. Then fry it like crepes in a small frying pan. Delish!

Tags
None