ISO Tri-Tip Beef Roast Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chilb

Assistant Cook
[
Hello to you, I have just signed on after seeing such great recipes and such great folks that are here. My question to you is do any of you have a really great Tri-tip recipe. I have never cooked it before. It was on sale so what can I say??? Thank you ever so much, you will save my day...

FONT=arial]Arial ariel :cool:

Hi Chilb!!!

Welcome to Discusscooking. Here are a few tri-tip recipes. Hope one sounds edible!!:D

MARINATED TRI-TIP ROAST
2/3 cup vegetable oil
2/3 cup honey
1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1 pkg Lowry's Tenderizing Beef Marinade
2 pinches salt
fresh ground pepper to taste
(A-1 or BBQ sauce - optional)

This recipe uses a tri-tip roast. This is a lean, boneless, and economical cut of meat from the round and bottom sirloin of the cow. Generally, a cooked, trimmed tri-tip roast will yield four 3-ounce servings of meat per pound.

For this recipe, use a 3-pound roast to get twelve 3-ounce servings or six 6-ounce servings of beef.

Combine ingredients in a mayonaise jar. Shake well. OR, place ingredients in a blender and blend well. Pierce tri-tip thoroughly with a fork and place in a plastic storage bag. Add the marinade and soak in the refrigerator for three days, turning often.

When ready to cook place tri-tip on a hot BBQ grill and sear. Turn the meat 90 degrees to cross hatch. Repeat this on the other side of the roast.

Complete the cooking process on the BBQ grill. OR, place tri-tip in glass dish in a 350 - 375 degree oven. Continue cooking until interior temperature reaches 135 degrees on an inserted meat thermometer.

Remove from oven and let sit for 10 minutes to complete the cooking process before slicing.

GRILLED TRI-TIP
4 pounds tri-tip roast
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon salt

Prepare an outdoor grill for indirect heat, and lightly oil grate.

Mix together the garlic powder, onion powder, pepper, and salt. Rub mixture all over the roast.

Place the roast, fat side up on the hot grill with a pan underneath it to catch the drippings. Bake/roast for 4 to 6 hours, or until done. Check for doneness with a meat thermometer. Minimum temperature should be around 165°F.

Tri Tip Roast

Thank you so much for the tri tip roast. Is there a way to cook them in the oven or is the bar-b-que just the very best way to cook this roast? YOur recipes look really wondeful and I thank you for taking the time to locate them....

Hi again Chilb - I meant to post more last night but I'm not sure what happened exactly!!!!:D Total chaos as usual probably.

OVEN ROASTED TRI-TIP

1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
Dry rub or marinade of your choice.
1 1/2 to 2 1/2 pound beef tri-tip, fat trimmed to 1/4 inch
Pan Sauce: (do not make if you use a wet marinade)
1/2 cup beef or chicken stock
1/4 cup red wine
1 teaspoon chopped fresh herb of your choice such as thyme or rosemary, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Flavor Step: If you're using the garlic rub or a dry rub, combine all ingredients and generously season or rub the meat all over and let it stand at room temperature for up to 2 hours. Or cover the roast and leave it overnight in the refrigerator; let it sit at room temperature for 2 hours before cooking. If you're using a wet marinade, puncture the meat all over with a meat fork or skewer. Place it in a zip-lock bag or large bowl and pour the marinade over the meat. Marinate (cover if using a bowl), for up to 2 hours at room temperature or overnight in the refrigerator. If the meat has been refrigerated, let it sit at room temperature for 2 hours before cooking.

Preheat the oven to 450ƒF. Remove the meat from the marinade and pat it dry. Discard the marinade. Place the tri-tip, fat side up, on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Roast for 20 minutes, then begin checking the internal temperature: You should remove the roast at 115ƒF to 120ƒF for rare, 120ƒF to 125ƒF for medium-rare.

Transfer the meat to a carving board or platter, cover loosely with foil, and let it rest for 10 to 15 minutes before carving to allow the residual heat to complete the cooking and the juices to stabilize.

Meanwhile, make the optional pan sauce: Pour off any fat from the roasting pan. Place the pan over a burner and add the stock, wine, and herbs. Bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Reduce the sauce almost to a syrup. Whisk in the mustard and taste for salt and pepper.

Slice the meat into thin slices across the grain. If you made the sauce, pour it over the sliced meat, and serve.

OVEN-ROASTED BEEF TRI-TIO WITH ROSEMARY-GARLIC VEGETABLES
Yield: 6 to 8 servings

1 tri-tip roast (1 1/2 to 2 pounds)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
12 small red-skinned potatoes, halved
2 medium red, yellow or green bell peppers, cut into eighths
2 medium sweet onions, cut into wedges (1 inch)

Seasoning:
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Heat oven to 425°F. Combine seasoning ingredients; press 1/2 onto beef roast. Combine remaining seasoning with oil and vegetables in bowl and toss.

Place roast on rack in shallow roasting pan. Place vegetables on rack around roast. Do not add water or cover. Roast in 425°F oven 30 to 40 minutes for medium rare; 40 to 45 minutes for medium doneness.

Remove roast when meat thermometer registers 135°F for medium rare; 150°F for medium. Transfer to carving board; tent loosely with aluminum foil. Let stand 10 minutes. (Temperature will continue to rise about 10°F to reach 145°F for medium rare; 160°F for medium.)

Meanwhile increase oven temperature to 475°F. Remove peppers. Continue roasting potatoes and onions 10 minutes or until tender and lightly browned.

Carve roast across the grain. Serve with vegetables.

:cool:

Tri Tip recipes, I thank You oh wonderful kitchenelf!

Well, guess what I am having for dinner tonight? These recipe look really great. I think I will combine them using the bottom recipe with the top recipe's wine sauce. Will let you know just how they turn out. My husband in going to be in heaven...:D

Chilb,

PLEASE let me know how it turns out. And my husband says since your husband is going to be in heaven he'll take his place at the dinner table!!! LOL (he's got a sick sense of humor, what can I say - oh, and he also likes to eat!):rolleyes:

i've never heard of a tri-tip roast....i'm in ontario.....i know different countries use different terms for some things, even canada/US......would i know it by another name? *curious*

Tri Tip with veggies and rosemary...

The recipe, you posted kitchenelf with the vegetables and rosemary was excellant. I combined both recipes using the wine sauce from the tri tip without veggies. My husband really loved it and said to say you are both invited to our table any time you would like to have tri tip, just come on over. Over that is is across country I am in Calif and I believe YOU ALL are in North Carolina . Happens to be where my realatives all live. Mostly around Charllote, Midland, and Concord. Love BarBQue there...Next time you have that we will come there for sure.....LOL Thanks again. In regards to the note wanting to know what tri tip is, I am not sure what part of the cow it is from. It is like a elongated triagle. Quite a bit of fat, which you trim a bit, but oh so tasty.

AHH! Thanks Chil! That's what we call the Fajita cut here in Texas!!!!!!

Question:

Are "tri-tip", "fajita cut" and "skirt steak" all the same???

I remember latino families cooking fajitas on the beach in Galveston, Texas years ago--- before the rest of us gringos knew what fajitas even were.
We always took KFC to the beach ... but their fajitas always smelled sooo good cooking on their little beach grills, I had to restrain myself from going over to beg a taste!

(Our other family beach trip delicacy was slices of Sara Lee Pound Cake ... with Cool Whip spread in betweenthe slices.
My kids tell me now that it doesn't taste nearly as good - years later - without a tar ball and some sand from the Gulf of Mexico!)

Anyway, I am wondering if the butcher here in suburban DC will know what I am talking about if I ask for "tri-tip" or "fajita cut"???

Teef, isn't it funny how those childhood memories come back to us and if you try to re-create one it will never be the same!! No matter how hard you try!!!

I do believe that if you say skirt steak your butcher should know what it is. I think he should also know the term tri-tip. Take along a picture of a cow if you have to.:D

I bet those fajitas did smell heavenly!!!

Here are two of my favorite Tri-Tip Recipes. 8) I hope you enjoy them.

Tri-tip Bruschetta with Tomato Olive Salsa

Yield: 6

Ingredients
1 package fully cooked beef tri-tip (1 ½ - 2 pounds)
1 loaf crusty French bread , sliced ½ inch thick
1/3 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon garlic salt
¾ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
Tomato-Olive Salsa

Tomato-Olive Salsa
1 large tomato, diced
¼ cup chopped kalamata olives
3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
2 tablespoons reserved olive oil mixture

Instructions
1. Heat beef tri-tip according to package instructions. While tri-tip is heating, combine olive oil and garlic salt. Reserve 2 tablespoon for salsa. Preheat broiler. Place bread slices on baking sheet. Brush remaining olive oil mixture on bread. Broil 2-3 minutes until lightly browned. Prepare Tomato-Olive Salsa by combining all ingredients in a medium bowl. Set aside. Carve heated tri-tip cross grain into thin (1/4 inch thick) slices. Place sliced tri-tip on toasted bread. Top with Salsa. Sprinkle with cheese. Broil 4-5 minutes or until cheese melts.

Grilled Tri-Tip with Oregon Herb Rub

Yield: Servings: 6

Ingredients
1 1/2 -2 pound beef tri-tip
1 tbsp salt
1/2 teaspoon each garlic salt and celery salt
1/4 teaspoon each black pepper, onion powder and paprika, dill, sage and rosemary

Instructions
Trim any excess fat from meat. Moisten surface of meat lightly with water. Combine seasonings. Sprinkle with seasoning mix covering all surfaces of meat: rub well into meat. Seasoned meat may be refrigerated for several hours to enhance flavor or grilled immediately. Grill roast to desired doneness over medium coals 30-35 minutes, turning after 15 minutes. Tent roast with foil and let stand 10 minutes. Carve tri-tip across the grain into thin slices.

Hey Chil....
I grew up in Santa Barbara, which is just about an hour from Santa Maria, the birthplace of the famous tri tip.

I've eaten this steak forever, and it is, by far, the best bbq steak you can buy. The only steak I like more is a tasty filet mignon (the big one, not the itty bitty cut).

Anyway, My hubby cooks a mean tip, but always on the bbq. My mom always roasts hers in the broiler. She says she broils about 7-8 minutes per side. All she does for prep is a little oil, pepper, & onion salt.

Anyway..........go on google, but type in "Recipe Santa Maria Tri Tip"
you'll get a lot!

Back
Top Bottom