ISO ways to prepare cubed steak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jessica_Morris

Senior Cook
I have some cubed steak. The only way I've ever cooked it was by frying it. Does anybody know of any other way to cook it?

Thanks in advance!

I first flour and then slightly brown in a very small amount of oil. Transfer to a crock pot and add one can Campbells Golden Mushrooom soup and one can of Campbells Beefy Mushroom soup. Let cook on low for about 6 hours or until the meat is tender.

Your post reminded me of this old recipe I haven't made in years. Probably because SO doesn't like it. I serve this over buttered egg noodles.

Cube Steak in Tomato and Sour Cream Sauce

2 Tb Olive Oil
1 Lb Cube Steak
2 C Sliced Onions
2 C Sliced Mushrooms
1 C Sour Cream
12 Oz V8 Juice
TT Salt and Pepper

Heat a skillet or fry pan to very hot and add the oil. Brown the steaks on both sides and remove. Add the onions and mushrooms to the pan and sauté. Season with salt and pepper.
Add the sour cream and V8 juice and stir until the sauce comes to a boil. Simmer for 5 minutes.

Add the meat and any accumulated juices and cook until the meat is heated through.

I flour it and brown it, then remove from the pan. Cook sliced onions in the pan till softened. Add beef broth and stir to make a gravy, scraping up the browned bits. Add the cubed steaks back to the pan, spoon the gravy over and simmer, covered, for about an hour. Serve with mashed potatoes.

I flour it and brown it, then remove from the pan. Cook sliced onions in the pan till softened. Add beef broth and stir to make a gravy, scraping up the browned bits. Add the cubed steaks back to the pan, spoon the gravy over and simmer, covered, for about an hour. Serve with mashed potatoes.
I do something like this also. I like to add lots of onions(they actually dissolve after a long period of cooking) and then about 2/3 bottle of beer(the other 1/3 for the cook) along with the beef broth. A pinch of Allspice and a small spoon of tomato paste is good if you have them on hand. Then, I serve it on the garlic mash and some butter fried mushrooms on top of it all. This is my version of Carbonnade de Boeuf a Flamande, which is a fancy name for beef and beer stew....

Last edited:
Cube steak is what we use for chicken fried steak. Served with pan gravy, mashed potatoes and a vegi side.

I brown it, seasoned with salt and pepper and garlic powder, then add a can of stewed tomatoes and let it simmer just until done.

I brown it, seasoned with salt and pepper and garlic powder, then add a can of stewed tomatoes and let it simmer just until done.

I like that idea. Tomatoes are not just for a pasta gravy. I also like to poach a whole fish in them. Even served as a side dish. :angel:

Cube steak is by its nature, tough, flavorful meat. It responds well to slow and low cooking. The cubing process helps tenderize the meat. So, as it's generally cooked low and slow, or breaded and fried, or braised, I'm going to buck the trend (yeh, I know, rebel with a cause:LOL:).

Ingredients:
3 cube steaks
1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
1 large, yellow onion, chopped
1 tbs. fresh, minced cilantro
1 fresh lime
2 avocados (made into fresh guacamole
Fresh corn tortillas
your favorite salsa

Take those cube steaks and throw them over blistering hot charcoal. Cook for 2 minutes per side. Remove to a clean cutting board. Place a large, heavy cast iron pan on the grill, over those same coals.

Dice the meat to fit nicely into tacos. Add everything but the tortillas and salsa into the hot pan. Stir around until the veggies are softened a bit. Remove from the heat and squese the lime over top. Stir to distribute.

Soften the tortillas in hot oil for 10 seconds and drain on paper towels. Fill with the meat filling, and a bit of salsa for flavor. And there you have it, the best taco filling, bar none (IMHO), carne asada. Enjoy.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I bread/fry mine then put slices of fresh tomato and avacado on top. I then put a few slices of swiss or prvolone and broil intil the cheese melts. Some of the oil comes out with the re-heating as well.

man, that sounds good 4me. gotta remember that one.

my wife nakes an awesome cubed steak sandwich. i'll have to watch her closely next time, but think all she does is add a little butter to a little oil in a hot, nn-stick frying pan, then quickly fries them on each side for a minute, the sprinkles them with s&p and garlic powder, places a lid on the pan, and let's them finish cooking/steaming for just anothee minute more.

i love them served on hard rolls with raw diced shallots and ketchup, or a1 sauce. yummmmmm.

i've tried to do the same thing and ended up with shoes.

man, that sounds good 4me. gotta remember that one.

my wife nakes an awesome cubed steak sandwich. i'll have to watch her closely next time, but think all she does is add a little butter to a little oil in a hot, nn-stick frying pan, then quickly fries them on each side for a minute, the sprinkles them with s&p and garlic powder, places a lid on the pan, and let's them finish cooking/steaming for just anothee minute more.

i love them served on hard rolls with raw diced shallots and ketchup, or a1 sauce. yummmmmm.

i've tried to do the same thing and ended up with shoes.

Every cook has their signature dish. And no matter what you do, how much you follow her directions, you just can't make it as good as she does. :angel:

I made a beef roast for supper, but think this would also work well for cube steaks.

Brown them in a little oil
Mix together
1 pkg. ranch powder
1 pkg brown gravy mix
1 pkg italian pow'd mix
Dissolve all 3 pkg's of dry mix in 2 cups of water, pour over meat & finish it in the oven or a crock pot, can add fresh carrots & potatoes too.

Back
Top Bottom