Italian-Gravy Style Pot Roast TNT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
Yummy and very rich tasting.

Small beef chuck pot roast
2 stalks celery, diced
3 carrots, diced
1 medium onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced or thinly sliced
1 can, 14 oz, fire-roasted tomatos
1 cup red wine
1 cup beef broth
1 cup water
1 to 1-1/2 tsp basil and thyme or to taste
red pepper flakes to taste
salt and pepper
olive oil

Season beef with salt and pepper. In heavy pan, sear beef all over with a little olive oil, remove from pan. Sautee celery, carrots, and onion in same pan with a little more oil until tender, then added garlic and cook for about a minute more. Add a little salt and pepper. Add mostly drained can of fire-roasted tomatos to pot, then add red wine, beef broth, and water, the basil and thyme, and several shakes of red pepper flakes, stirr, add the meat back in and let it simmer for a couple of hours, turning roast over from time to time, until meat is tender and can be shredded in big chunks. After removing roast, zap the liquid with a hand blender in the pot to thicken into a nice sauce just using the veges and taste for salt/pepper. Return meat to pot and mix.

Sprinkle with grated parm if desired. Can be served over pasta, polenta, or with mashed potatos.

Karen

Last edited:
Okay, this is how I am doing my pot roast tomorrow. I like the fact that I don't have to use flour for thickening and I can "hide" veggies!

Thanks so much for sharing this!

Back
Top Bottom