Jerky

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sure. You can make jerky out of pretty much anything. Just make sure it is really lean and has very little fat. Large chunks of fat in jerky are what can cause you serious problems. Also, marinate the meat overnight before starting the drying process.

I use bottom round all the time for my jerky. I buy lots of it when it goes on sale, vacuum seal it and freeze it.
Like Keltin said, get rid of as much fat as you can. I marinate mine in a mixture of soy sauce, Worchestershire sauce and teriyaki, in a ziplock bag at least over night.
I even inspect the jerky after it is dried and remove more fat if I see any.

I use bottom round all the time for my jerky. I buy lots of it when it goes on sale, vacuum seal it and freeze it.
Like Keltin said, get rid of as much fat as you can. I marinate mine in a mixture of soy sauce, Worchestershire sauce and teriyaki, in a ziplock bag at least over night.
I even inspect the jerky after it is dried and remove more fat if I see any.

I do the same thing about inspecting each piece to remove fat after it has dried! And I use pretty much the same marinade, but I also add a little Liquid Smoke. Ever try that, it's great!

Could i get a recipe for the marinade from anyone? I would love to try one with teriyaki sauce in it.

Thanks

Marinades for beef jerky can be very simple. Some people like to get really complex, but I’ve found simple does a good job.

A really basic marinade would be:

1 1/4 Cup Teriyaki
1/2 Cup Soy
1/4 Cup Worcestershire
1 tsp Liquid Smoke
2 Tbsp Black Pepper (Optional)

You can boost the Worcestershire or Teriyaki by a 1/4 cup if you need more liquid. Just mix this all together in a large bowl and taste it (dip your finger into it). If it tastes right, then you’re ready to marinate. If it needs more salt, add a little more soy. If you want more smoke flavor, add a little more liquid smoke (but go easy on that stuff, it’s strong!).

Add fresh cracked black pepper for a good flavor, but realize that the black pepper will not dissolve and will stick to the meat meaning you’ll have bits of pepper on the finished product. Some people like that, and some don’t. If you want some bite to it, add a little cayenne powder to the mix.

I’ve seen many recipes that go over the top and add orange juice, ketchup, brown sugar, etc. I like my marinade simple, and these flavors are great and taste like classic beef jerky. Plus, all of these ingredients will store well once dried on the meat. I’m not so sure about using ketchup or some of the other ingredients I’ve seen in marinade recipes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom