Jill's Meatloaf Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FraidKnot

Washing Up
I have a wonderful meatloaf recipe I'd like to share. First let me start off by saying I don't care for meatloaf with ketchup on the top. Fine if you do, I simply don't... but there's a surprise in this mixture ;)

Jill's Meatloaf

2 lbs. lean ground beef
1 lb. ground pork (you can even use bulk breakfast sausage if you wish)
2 -3 Tbs. butter as needed
1 small yellow onion, minced
2 ribs celery, minced
1/2 green bell pepper, seeded and well chopped
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
1/2 c. quick cooking (not instant) oats
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 c. bottled cocktail sauce
1 tsp. dried thyme
1/4 c. grated cheddar chees

Saute the vegetables in butter until tender. Add to remaining ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Smoosh it all together until well blended. (NOTE: use a large ziplock bag instead if you don't like getting ground meat all over your hands.) Form into a loaf and place on a rack in a roasting pan. Bake at 350F for 1 hour or until well browned. Let stand 5 minutes before slicing. Excellent the next day and for sandwiches.

Fraidy (aka Jill :-p)

Last edited:
It sounds very tasty. I'd just like to point out that it should take more than an hour to cook a 3+ pound meatloaf. I cook my 1 1/2 pound meatloaves for an hour.

Jill thanks for the meatloaf recipe. Never thought of the simple tip you gave
about using a large zip lock bag. SUPER. It's just hubby and I ...I would make 1/2 for us and the full recipe when we have guests. Husband does not
like left overs. Thanks again

Jill......

Meat loaf is way down on my list of favorite foods...However your recipe has given me renewed hope...next time somone says meat loaf...this will be the recipe we use!
Thanks..

Meatloaf is yet another form of pate! I love the stuff. The variety. And yes the sandwiches! I use oats in mine too, and the cocktail sauce is a nice zippy idea. Thanks for reminding me it's time to make one soon. Pot roast too!

I love meatloaf too, my kids always complain when they ask what is
for diner and I say meatloaf, but you know what for some reason
there is never a crumb left on their plates of meatloaf and I am not
a Mom that makes them eat everything, on their plate as long as they
try it I o.k. I can't wait until the day they have moved out and I get the
long waited call Mom how do you make the meatloaf you made when
I was a kid? :ROFLMAO: The last two times I made meatloaf I put bacon slices over
the loaf before I baked it wow what a great flavor.

you will get that call for meatloaf and many other recipes, rickell! I feel very lucky to be the heir of my mom's cooking passion and knowledge as well as her recipe file!

Your meatloaf sounds excellent. I made a meatloaf similar to this a few months ago and had some problems. I wanted to make the meatloaf calling for 1lb beef, 1lb pork, and 1lb veal. I couldn't find the veal so I used 2lb beef and 1lb pork. (no veggies, no oats, no cheese) I probably used italian bread crumbs, eggs, and dry seasonings.
Oh my gosh, now I know what I did wrong, (Memory is everything! :wacko: ) I put it in my slower cooker and cooked it for about 8-10 hrs. I think the pork was fully cooked before the beef and seemed to fry the beef. I drained off the fat and when I removed the meatloaf, it was sort of crumbly and didn't slice without falling apart. (it was done; but not over done)
After we all sampled it and nobody came back for seconds, I crumbled it and made goulash. That was the best pot of goulash ever.
I have added cheese to my burger patties before and it seems to steam a hole and run out.
I'd like to try the meatloaf with beef & pork again. Can you troubleshoot my problems? I'm never cooking a meatloaf in the slow cooker again; I know that for sure.

Stir-blue - I think you'd be wise not to try it in a slow cooker again. And...after you perfect your meatloaf, you can advance to a Meatloaf Wellington!!

The last meatloaf I made, I topped it with a mixture of Huckleberry BBQ sauce and Heinz Chili sauce (1/2 & 1/2) VERY GOOD.

Stir-blue - I think you'd be wise not to try it in a slow cooker again. And...after you perfect your meatloaf, you can advance to a Meatloaf Wellington!!

cjs
Is there really such a thing as meatloaf wellington?

You bet!! I found it was more fun to make individual 'wellingtons' - roll out puff pastry; lay a meatloaf shape in center and wrap well and seal. Brush w/egg and bake till temp reaches 160 F.

The freeze well also, but must be heated in oven so crust remains crisp - and it does!

FraidKnot said:
I have a wonderful meatloaf recipe I'd like to share. First let me start off by saying I don't care for meatloaf with ketchup on the top. Fine if you do, I simply don't... but there's a surprise in this mixture ;)

Jill's Meatloaf

2 lbs. lean ground beef
1 lb. ground pork (you can even use bulk breakfast sausage if you wish)
2 -3 Tbs. butter as needed
1 small yellow onion, minced
2 ribs celery, minced
1/2 green bell pepper, seeded and well chopped
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
1/2 c. quick cooking (not instant) oats
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 c. bottled cocktail sauce
1 tsp. dried thyme
1/4 c. grated cheddar chees

Saute the vegetables in butter until tender. Add to remaining ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Smoosh it all together until well blended. (NOTE: use a large ziplock bag instead if you don't like getting ground meat all over your hands.) Form into a loaf and place on a rack in a roasting pan. Bake at 350F for 1 hour or until well browned. Let stand 5 minutes before slicing. Excellent the next day and for sandwiches.

Fraidy (aka Jill :-p)

I just commented on someone elses meatloaf recipe that sounded especially good to me too. I will be forever in search of the perfect meatloaf. I am willing to try yours as it looks wonderful to me as well. Okay, cocktail sauce. Now what exactly is that? Is that the stuff you buy for your fish recipes or as a dip for your fish? I could make it if I'm thinking of the right stuff. It starts out with ketchup about 2/3rds and a couple of tablespoons of yellow mustard, then about one and half tablespoons horseradish and stir, it's wonderful and used to make it all the time for fish sticks or Van De Camps fish fillets. Yummy............I'll file this away Jill, thanks so much for posting. Tried and true favorites are my favorite.

Vegas Girl said:
It sounds very tasty. I'd just like to point out that it should take more than an hour to cook a 3+ pound meatloaf. I cook my 1 1/2 pound meatloaves for an hour.

I don't think that is necessarily true ( the more than an hour). A 3 pound meat loaf might just be longer but the same diameter, and therefore will cook in the same amount of time. I make a 2+ pound meatloaf routinely, and it is done in an hour.

Sounds great, looks like I'll be making a baby meatloaf later today. :chef: I mean a small meatloaf of course......

LEFSElover said:
I will be forever in search of the perfect meatloaf. Tried and true favorites are my favorite.

Here are a couple of tried and true meatloaf recipes that we love:

Roasted Vegetable Meatloaf

3 small zucchini, diced
2 large red bell peppers, seeded and diced
2 medium red onions, diced
2 Tbs olive oil
1 Tbs chopped fresh rosemary
2 lbs ground beef chuck (20% fat)
2 cups finely grated mozzarella cheese (about 8 ounces)
1½ cups panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
1 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
1 tsp.dried marjoram
1½ tsp salt
½ tsp ground black pepper
½ tsp dried crushed red pepper
1 cup ketchup, divided
2 large eggs
¼ cup dry red wine

1 Preheat oven to 450°F.
2 Combine zucchini, peppers and onions in medium bowl. Add oil and rosemary; toss to coat. Spread evenly on rimmed baking sheet; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast until vegetables are tender, about 25 minutes. Remove from oven; cool.
3 Preheat oven to 375°F.
4 Mix ground beef, mozzarella, panko, basil, marjoram, salt, pepper, dried crushed pepper, and 1 cup roasted vegetables in large bowl. Whisk ½ cup ketchup, eggs and wine in medium bowl. Add to beef mixture; mix with hands until well incorporated; spoon into 9x5x3-inch loaf pan, forming rounded top.
5 Spoon ½ cup ketchup over top of loaf. Bake meatloaf until cooked through, juices run clear, and top is browned, about 1 hour, 10 minutes. Remove pan from oven; let meatloaf rest 20 minutes.
6 Rewarm remaining vegetable mixture in microwave. Turn meatloaf out; cut into 1-inch-thick slices. Top with roasted vegetable mixture. Serve with mashed potatoes.

Servings: 6

Cooking Tips
*Using ground beef with a higher fat content ensures a moist meatloaf.

Turkey Meatloaf

Incredibly tender and flavorful meatloaf...

1½ cups finely chopped onion
1 Tbs minced garlic
1 tsp olive oil
1 medium carrot, peeled and cut into 1/8-inch dice
¾ lb cremini mushrooms, trimmed and very finely chopped in food processor
1 tsp salt, divided
½ tsp black pepper, divided
1½ tsp worcestershire sauce
1/3 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
¼ cup + 1 Tbs barbecue sauce, divided
1 cup fine fresh bread crumbs (from 2 slices firm white sandwich bread) (or use panko)
1/3 cup 1% milk
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 large egg white, lightly beaten
1¼ lbs ground turkey

1 Preheat oven to 400°F.
2 Cook onion and garlic in oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over moderate heat, stirring, until onion is softened, about 2 minutes. Add carrot and cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add mushrooms, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid mushrooms give off is evaporated and they are very tender, 10-15 minutes. Stir in worcestershire sauce, parsley, and 3 Tablespoons barbecue sauce, then transfer vegetables to a large bowl and cool.
3 Stir together bread crumbs and milk in a small bowl and let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in egg and egg white, then add to vegetables. Add turkey and remaining ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper to vegetable mixture and mix well with your hands. (Mixture will be very moist)
4 Form into a 9x5-inch oval loaf in a lightly oiled 13x9-inch by 2-inch metal baking pan and brush meatloaf evenly with remaining 2 Tablespoons barbecue sauce. Bake in middle of oven until thermometer inserted into meatloaf registers 170°F., 50-55 minutes.
5 Let meatloaf stand 5 minutes before serving.

Servings: 6

Enjoy!

Lori

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom