"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 09-25-2016, 06:15 PM   #11
Master Chef

London broil or ropa viejo

Old 09-25-2016, 06:31 PM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I confused the intent of my question by adding the Angus part. I am really only concerned about that particular cut of meat commercially available from any breed.

A while back, I had a discussion with the meat manager at my local supermarket and his opinion was that you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between Angus and other once cooked and on your plate. He viewed it as a marketing device only.

Your meat manager was correct.

But at the price listed it's a good buy for the uses mentioned.

As a stand alone beef serving I'd pass but for use in other dishes the price is right.

Old 09-25-2016, 11:24 PM   #13
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
For our house, I do not care for Round anything... to me it's too "livery" tasting, and liver is NOT on my grocery list.
I had a similar discussion with the Meat Manager at Costco (in Honolulu) about Prime, Choice, etc and he told me the best is to buy those cryovac meats, it's the better quality and price.
Old 09-26-2016, 02:24 AM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
...I had a discussion with the meat manager at my local supermarket and his opinion was that you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between Angus and other once cooked and on your plate. He viewed it as a marketing device only.
He's pretty much right. "Angus" is the breed, and has been around for centuries. "Certified Angus Beef" is the board that regulates and certifies which beef meets the requirements for the certification as CAB. Supposedly it is a bit better, but the butcher we go to raises and processes his own steer, and it is at least as good as any grocery store CAB. I don't know what breed he raises, so I guess I should ask next time we head over there.

Back when I was in my teens, my Mom would take me out to lunch every year. Someplace fancy and upscale, my choice. One year we went to the Black Angus Steakhouse in Cleveland's Theatre District. I was in heaven! Found an old menu from the 1960s online. Chateaubriand for Two, $10.50? Sounds good to me!

Old 09-26-2016, 07:42 AM   #15
Executive Chef

My main sales rep told me a few times that the beef which is branded angus outsells any other even though some other programs have equal quality and sometimes better cuts of beef..We use the Angus label also. I have little promo cards that I put in the window. People eat it up(pun intended)
Old 09-26-2016, 10:56 AM   #16
Head Chef

Yeah... choice grade is choice grade - doesn't matter what color steer it came from. For years we bought our beef on the hoof. Those were all Hereford steers, and better than any Angus that you'll find in a store. Some of the best beef I've ever eaten was in Italy from Chianina cattle (these animals are huge!). Angus just have a better marketing program.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:58 AM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
Yeah... choice grade is choice grade - doesn't matter what color steer it came from. For years we bought our beef on the hoof. Those were all Hereford steers, and better than any Angus that you'll find in a store. Some of the best beef I've ever eaten was in Italy from Chianina cattle (these animals are huge!). Angus just have a better marketing program.
Im not sure but I think CAB doesn't apply the traditional beef grades to its products.
Old 09-26-2016, 11:39 AM   #18
Master Chef

I try to buy USDA prime cut beef when it is on sale. I have never bought angus because a butcher also told me it is not much different than any other beef. My favorite cut for roast beef is eye round. It is never tough and has a wonderful flavor.
Old 09-26-2016, 12:01 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
London broil or ropa viejo
We always used flank steak for ropa vieja and vaca frita. They shred very easily. How does the round compare?

There used to be a restaurant in Hialeah, FL called the Black Angus. Back then I was too young to know the difference between cuts, but my brother Doug loved the flank steak they served. Don't remember if they were a chain.
Old 09-26-2016, 12:26 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Today I was looking through our weekly supermarket flyer for the coming week.
I saw Certified Angus Beef Top Round Roast on sale for $2.49/Lb.

My question to you is...

Do YOU buy this cut of meat (Angus or not) and how do YOU use this cut of meat?
$2.49 a pound!!!! If you don't want it send it over here. It would still be cheap at the price even with the postage on top!

If it's the piece I think it is (British name "Silverside" or Topside") it can be roasted slowly or braised in a little stock with a bed of veg. I wouldn't waste it on stewing (unless you aren't too sure of the butcher who's selling it).

Over here Aberdeen Angus beef is considered top notch and the true Aberdeen Angus cattle are carefully bred to keep out "foreigners" Aberdeen Angus (Native) - RBST

Tags
None