Just Curious

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Seems we both had good sales in the local ad this week.
I got two boneless rump roasts for $2.98 a LB.
Chicken thighs and whole chickens were $.99 a LB.

And best of all, beer was on sale at a very good price. I bought 4 cases and will go back today for 4 more. That should last a couple weeks.....lol

Im not sure but I think CAB doesn't apply the traditional beef grades to its products.

By law, all beef sold in the United States is graded by the USDA. CAB claims that all of their beef conforms to the highest grade, plus they apply their own standards.

Only truly elite beef surpasses the USDA's stringent Prime standards, AND meets all 10 of the brand's quality specifications. Less than 1.5% of beef achieves the high standards of Certified Angus Beef® brand Prime. And marbling is key to its incredible flavor and tenderness.
https://www.certifiedangusbeef.com/cuts/grades.aspx

Btw, I'm not making any claim about their quality; just quoting the website :)

Last edited:
I tried to carry CAB, but there was too much waste for my purposes..Really well marbled and magnificent to eat, but after I trimmed the steaks for the meat case I could have up to 40% waste on my hands...That is a lot of expensive fat. This made my steak prices too high. I moved to another beef called Sterling, which is also the Angus, and it is much more consistent and I get a higher yield. There is a nice product that I carry now from the US called 1855...it is Angus and I am very happy with it. Well trimmed, low waste, beautiful beef. I'll snap a few photos of the steaks later today...

Last edited:
By law, all beef sold in the United States is graded by the USDA. CAB claims that all of their beef conforms to the highest grade, plus they apply their own standards...

OK, but there is no requirement to display those grades on a label.

This is the type of label I see in the supermarket display case.

Attachments

• Unknown.png
    Unknown.png
    7.8 KB · Views: 119
so what did you eventually conceive of a recipe, Andy........man......that sounds like a great price for beef by the way!

expat, I never bought the round. It's not a cut I use. I was just curious if others had the same opinions as I.

For slow-cooking, I always go with chuck. For steaks and roasts I tend to frequent the ribcage, looking at ribeye steaks and rib roasts. We don't eat steaks and roasts a great deal over the course of a year (more in the summer months). When we do, I try to get a really good one.

Last edited:
expat, I never bought the round. It's not a cut I use. I was just curious if others had the same opinions as I.

For slow-cooking, I always go with chuck. For steaks and roasts I tend to frequent the ribcage, looking at ribeye steaks and rib roasts. We don't eat steaks and roasts a great deal over the course of a year (more in the summer months). When we do, I try to get a really good one.

Well, Andy,.........you've got great recipes on this site......keep up the good work!!!:ROFLMAO:

`i personally don't know what to do with round steak either........except maybe have it ground up.........we just don't eat a lot of beef to know what to do with it, Andy.........and it has nothing to do with finances..........we just don't eat a lot of it...........

Andy, I have used that cut of round for kabobs over the years. Marinated overnight, they were pretty tender and tasty. I did beef kabobs for those of us in the family who don't like lamb, while I also grilled lamb for the family members who liked it. They're all gone now, and I rarely skewer anything except shrimp for the grill.

`please tell me, Hammster, that in real life you;re like the loveable cute rodent than your avatar! `i think his name was `'Sniveley` Sneerheart something or other.......boy am `i ever dating myself.........and you've got me on board for grounding it up for meatloaf..........

`please tell me, Hammster, that in real life you;re like the loveable cute rodent than your avatar! `i think his name was `'Sniveley` Sneerheart something or other.......boy am `i ever dating myself.........and you've got me on board for grounding it up for meatloaf..........

Snidely Whiplash was his name. Dudley Do-Rights nemesis. I loved Rocky and Bullwinkle!

By law, all beef sold in the United States is graded by the USDA. CAB claims that all of their beef conforms to the highest grade, plus they apply their own standards.

https://www.certifiedangusbeef.com/cuts/grades.aspx

Btw, I'm not making any claim about their quality; just quoting the website :)

All beef is subject to inspection, but I don't believe it's necessarily graded.

I don't think Angus labelled beef is necessarily graded but instead uses the label Certified Angus.

From the USDA web site:

After meat and poultry are inspected for wholesomeness, producers and processors may request that they have products graded for quality by a licensed Federal grader. The USDA's Agricultural Marketing Service (http://www.ams.usda.gov) is the agency responsible for grading meat and poultry. Those who request grading must pay for the service. Grading for quality means the evaluation of traits related to tenderness, juiciness, and flavor of meat; and, for poultry, a normal shape that is fully fleshed and meaty and free of defects.

Last edited:
Seriously, wouldn't that make a great name for a cartoon character of ill-repute`.......`i'm go to throw this computer away once mine from the `````uS is fixed`.........`i've quit trying to fix things:LOL:`````````````````````````/

I can think of a national figure for whom that is a great nickname... :ROFLMAO:

Yep, GG! :D

---------------
Back to the topic, I haven't bought round in years - like others have mentioned, I go with a more marbled cut. A cut of beef labeled certified Angus doesn't make any difference to me.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom