Kalbi? Shortribs? Ever Cooked them?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

It was in fact the one with 40 cloves (I used 50:ermm:) of garlic!!

Your set up is absolutely gorgeous!!!! I'll bet you have some fine evenings sitting out there smelling that wonderful food. But I gotta ask, do you chop and stack all that wood? My hat is off to you - it's stacked so neatly, too!

I’ve only read about this recipe and haven’t tried it yet, but in my experience, beef short ribs aren’t great for grilling, but are more suited to slow braising. .

Kalbi is a Korean shortrib dish that is traditionally grilled. Many restaurants have little tabletop grills for you to cook on.

You can make other dishes with short ribs, but Kalbi should be grilled.

Are you guys serious? Did you really use 40+ cloves of garlic, or is that just a funny name for the recipe? :ohmy:

Yep...serious!! Except I used 50 cloves! ..... See Miss katie for the recipe.

Thanks for the Compliment Grilling Fool.......(See page 4 & 5 in Where We Live..Member Photo's/)

Yes. Miss Fisher's Mom...I do all of the cutting, splitting, and stacking, and you are correct...it has given me alot of fun & pleasure as well as some pretty good groceries!!

Kalbi is a Korean shortrib dish that is traditionally grilled. Many restaurants have little tabletop grills for you to cook on.

You can make other dishes with short ribs, but Kalbi should be grilled.

I know. You quoted me, but did you not pay attention to what I said:

I’ve only read about this recipe and haven’t tried it yet, but in my experience, beef short ribs aren’t great for grilling, but are more suited to slow braising. .

If I have read about Kalbi, I obviously know that it is grilled. I’m not sure how one can read about something and not know what it is? :dry:

I also said that in my experience, grilled short ribs are chewy since it is a tough cut that lends itself better to braising as opposed to fast dry heat. Seems Mylegsbig found that out too.

Last edited:
Big's original question was not about how to make short ribs.

It was about how to make Kalbi. The man wants to make Kalbi.

Kalbi = grilled short ribs.

If you cook them another way, as you suggest, you will not be making Kalbi.

That's my point.

Big's original question was not about how to make short ribs.

It was about how to make Kalbi. The man wants to make Kalbi.

Kalbi = grilled short ribs.

If you cook them another way, as you suggest, you will not be making Kalbi.

That's my point.

And did you miss the post where Leg said:

guys would it be okay to bake these @ a low temp for an hour or so and then finish them on the grill? i want them to come out tender

That was Post #4, right at the top, a mere two posts before my #6 that you quoted.

This odd little coincidence seems to explain why I told him that in my experience grilled short ribs are tough.

The only tender short ribs I’ve ever had have been smoked or braised.

Last edited:
Off topic, but he did ask. :)

I've heard of it, but never really thought it was serious.

Keltin, it's delicious. I used to use my Creuset pot, and seal it with a bread and water rope to seal in the juices. The aroma when you lift off the top is incredible.

Back to Kalbi.

Off topic, but he did ask. :)

I've heard of it, but never really thought it was serious.

Keltin, it's delicious. I used to use my Creuset pot, and seal it with a bread and water rope to seal in the juices. The aroma when you lift off the top is incredible.

Back to Kalbi.
Wait, wait, before you go back to Kalbi, what's a bread and water rope?

Sorry, I saw the new thread after I posted this. A new thread is a better idea because I'd like to be able to discuss how to cook short ribs without any restrictions.

Back
Top Bottom