Kalbi? Shortribs? Ever Cooked them?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mylegsbig

Head Chef
My friend is from hawaii and always cooks this. ive never tried it.

has anybody? Does anybody by any chance have any tips for these?

I want to make them tonight, same style as this. let me post some pics of his.

img_498274_0_271da8240616a86cb8db13498d90d0b2.jpg

img_498274_1_563b40a08aec10b13fe90a877d4043d4.jpg

img_498274_2_d7e70ca5e7d5d7e80cb19ed5acff83f4.jpg

img_498274_3_be8c66817d503a30d092a82b9db5034a.jpg

img_498274_4_04ee1a98558e3386d4ecbd5a4e4aaca3.jpg

i can get you his recipe..

guys would it be okay to bake these @ a low temp for an hour or so and then finish them on the grill? i want them to come out tender

The point of this recipe and technique is to cut the ribs so that they are thin. This means the marinade soaks in quicker, and you can grill them quickly to desired doneness.

I’ve only read about this recipe and haven’t tried it yet, but in my experience, beef short ribs aren’t great for grilling, but are more suited to slow braising. They are incredibly fatty and tend to be tough. I tried smoking some once, but the ones I had that day were just too fatty......smoked fat isn’t that great. Short ribs make great stews and soups though.

Still, not to be a nay-sayer, give it a shot. If you can get a good and somewhat lean cut of short rib, and you cut them like this, trying wrapping them in foil and baking at 250 for about an hour then grill them over a hot fire. You’ll more than likely loose the bone doing this since the meat will soften up and draw back during the baking process.

I buy Beef Flaken Ribs. They are short ribs cut Flaken style, about quarter inch thick. Like what you have just thinner. My family loves them marinated and grilled on the BBQ. They turn out so tender.

img_498583_0_f79a3db79babc23cab7b058f8c577dbb.jpg

BBQ BEEF FLANKEN CUT RIBS

FLANKEN RIBS; As Many As Desired.
1 cup(s) SOY SAUCE
1 tablespoon(s) GARLIC; Minced.
dash GROUND GINGER
1 cup(s) SUGAR
1/2 teaspoon(s) BLACK PEPPER
2 tablespoon(s) SESAME SEEDS
4 teaspoon(s) SESAME OIL
_____

In a Ziplock bag add soy sauce, minced garlic, ginger, sugar, sesame seeds, pepper and sesame oil; mix well.
Add ribs to bag, marinate at least 4 hours or overnight.
Put ribs on hot BBQ grill.
Cook a few minutes on each side.
Serve.
Beef Flanken rib are also called Beef Chuck Short Ribs.
_____

these ribs are a lil bit on the chewy side. i like the consistency of baby back ribs. i will be sticking with those.

cheers

these ribs are a lil bit on the chewy side. i like the consistency of baby back ribs. i will be sticking with those.

cheers

That would be them brother! :LOL:

These are good for braising, but IMO not right for grilling. Then again, some people like chewy! Seriously. Look at Corn Nuts which I personally LOVE. Very hard and very crunchy…..but not for everyone. Chewy is desired by some, but is an acquired taste and texture. Kind of like Jerky I suppose (which I love)?

Buck and I eat short ribs regularly...in the colder months. I have quite a few recipes for them and also have a great butcher who sells meaty, less fatty ones for $2 to $3 per pound.

How do you cook them? Braise? They are very flavorful, but tough when cooked in fast dry heat. At least your butcher will pass on some less fatty pieces!

Usually braised, keltin, but I'm not where I can check my recipes. Quite a while ago I emailed a recipe to Uncle Bob who really enjoyed it. Can't remember which one it was. I think it was one with something like 40 cloves of garlic or some such thing. I can't recall at the moment.

I'll check my recipe file and see how I do my short ribs. Used to get them at Sam's Club, but theirs were way too fatty. It wasn't until a good "foodie" friend told me about a mom-and-pop butcher in my area that I started to really look for ways to prepare short ribs.

We love short ribs. Not cheap here, I paid $8.80 kg on the weekend. Here's the recipe I usually use, I got it from our newspaper.

4 lbs beef short ribs
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
4 Tbsp olive oil
3 heads of garlic
2 carrots, coarsely chopped
1 large onion , coarsely chopped
2 Tbsp tomato paste
3/4 cup dry red wine
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 Tbsp canned chipotle peppers, or to taste
1/4 cup each, molasses, soya sauce
4 cups beef or chicken stock or water

Preheat oven to 350F.

Trim fat from ribs. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
In large skillet, heat 2 Tbsp of oil over medium high heat. Add ribs in single layer without crowding. Brown on both sides, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to large baking dish in single layer.
Peel 1 head of garlic, chop cloves coarsely.
Add 1 Tbsp oil to same skillet over medium heat, add carrots, onions, and chopped garlic. Cook, stirring, until softened. 3-4 minutes. Stir in tomato paste. Add wine, scraping up browned bits from skillet. Add vinegar, chipotle peppers, molasses, soya sauce, and stock or water. Bring to boil. Pour mixture over ribs in baking dish: they should be just covered. Cover tightly with foil or lid. Bake in oven about 2 1/2 hours, or until tender.
Meanwhile, cut enough off tops of remaining two heads of garlic to expose cloves. Place upright in small baking dish. Drizzle with remaining 1 Tbsp oil. Place in oven, roast about 45 minutes or until soft. ( I do them in foil) When cool, squeeze out garlic, discarding skin.
Transfer ribs to serving dish using slotted spoon. Keep warm. pour cooking liquid into large skillet, skim fat from surface. Boil rapidly over high heat about 5-10 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir in roasted garlic. Pour sauce over ribs.
Serves 4-6.

Katie E said:
Quite a while ago I emailed a recipe to Uncle Bob who really enjoyed it. Can't remember which one it was. I think it was one with something like 40 cloves of garlic.

It was in fact the one with 40 cloves (I used 50:ermm:) of garlic!!

I've made awesome stew from short ribs too! Braise them down to where the bone slips off/out. Add potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic, etc etc. When the veggies are done.....It's time to eat!

Wow, Uncle Bob, that's a righteous outdoor cooking center.

Lovely ironworks, too!

jealous, I am!

Back
Top Bottom